Possibly eating too many cals

Options
While weight loss isnt linear, I am confused.

Background- SW: 165 CW: 156 GW: 130. MFP set me at 1340. Road Map thread put me at 1600/1800.
I weighed my lowest at 155 on 12/13. I was averaging about 1300/1400cals a day. On 12/17 I did the roap map and upped my cals to average 1700 a day and gained weight (by gained i mean 155, 156, 157, then 156) but lost an inch. Do I need to go back down to 1300? Stay at 1600-1800 for a bit longer? I do workout 3x a week.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    how long did you stay at 1700 cals for?
  • lucybp
    lucybp Posts: 193
    Options

Good question

Also keep in mind that quality is important when it comes to eating as well. Are you eating mostly unprocessed foods and unrefined carbs? That's what I keep reminding myself whenever the 'calorie' question comes to mind. In a nutshell, sometimes quality is better than quantity.
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options

I started MFP 11/16 at around 1300. I started around 1700 on 12/17 and have been eating it since then.

I mean its not set in stone what i have to eat at, all i can do is increase or decrease and try it but i didnt know if perhaps you really can eat too many calories and it slow down/stall weight loss.
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options

I started MFP 11/16 at around 1300. I started around 1700 on 12/17 and have been eating it since then.

I mean its not set in stone what i have to eat at, all i can do is increase or decrease and try it but i didnt know if perhaps you really can eat too many calories and it slow down/stall weight loss.

You have not given it enough time, IMO.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options

I'd agree with this...give it more time. Especially since it was over the holidays so your sodium might have been higher than you'd think
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options

Took me about 3 months to even out. And I was eating about 2,000 when I was maintaining.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Losing the inch matters more than gaining a pound don't you think?? I mean, everyone can see the inch lost and only you see the number on the scale.
  • firefly171717
    firefly171717 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    You may want to consider your measuments over weight it sounds like your body is gaining muscle which is great! Maybe you can modify it as you go and find something in between 1300 and 1700? Also, quality food is more important :-D
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    definitely give it more time. i weigh 130 and i eat more than that to maintain.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Losing the inch matters more than gaining a pound don't you think?? I mean, everyone can see the inch lost and only you see the number on the scale.

Agreed. 2-3 weeks isn't long enough to see where it's going. Give it 4-6 weeks before even thinking about re-evaluating! My guess is by then you will have lost more inches and probably some scale weight! Good luck!
  • JanelleG0122
    JanelleG0122 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I was looking at your diary, and there is a few tips I have. You may want to track your sodium, because even though you are staying within your calories most days, the foods you are eating, are extremely high in sodium. The sodium will add water weight to your body, which will cause you to weigh heavier. Also watch your carbs...I am in no way an expert on this, but your carbs are extremely high which will make you bloated and also add ounces to the scale, that aren't really there, but due to the bad carbs and the high sodium foods you are eating, that is most likely what is causing your weight to go up. It is not actually pounds that you are gaining, it is actually water weight and bloating due to the bad food choices. Sometimes its not all about staying within your calorie limit, but watching the types of food within your calorie limit. Good Luck, i'm sure you will be able to even everything out! :-)
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I would say keep it at the higher amount for at least a month and see how you do. Your stats are very similar to mine (SW:168 currently maintaining at 122) and I was set at the same amount from MFP but I ate my exercise calories back and had at least one day a week that I was over on my calories and still lost, so I probably could have upped my calories to where you are at now and still lose. In July I set my numbers to maintenance (based on MFP) and still lost another 5 pounds (that was at 1750 calories). Now I'm eating around 1900-2300 a day depending on exercise to maintain.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to reset your goals as you lose weight.

I hit 159 the other day (yay!) and updated my weight and reset my goals. I lost 30 calories (boo!).

MFP only resets automatically if you lose 5 pounds.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Question - your 3x a week workout? How much are you burning, is your level subtracting your exercise cals or not? The higher number could be accounting in for the exercise levels, but you probably need to keep at the level of calories for longer than 1 week to let your body adjust to the new levels. You have to fuel yourself properly in order for your body to work right.
  • DeMayr
    DeMayr Posts: 67
    Options
    Based on my quick calculation, your maintenance is 2184 cal. Subtract 500 cals for 1lb loss a week and you're at 1684 cal. Sounds about right. You mentioned you lost an inch while going up two pounds (it's water retention). The inch should be more than enough proof that you're doing it right.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Please stop putting so much stock in the scale as a means for success. You lost an inch! That, too me, is more important than what the scale says.

Give it more time!
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Minus the day you ate a lot of candy, it looked like you were consistently under the recommended intake. If you are going to give this a serious shot, you should strive to meet the calorie goal. Coming in 1-200 calories below is not going to give you faster or better results, it will just mess with the experiment.

Try to get more protein in.

I know you can lose fat and pounds and inches eating this high and higher. I lost no more at 1420 than I did when I had a net intake of 2100.

I eat 2600 net to maintain 135 pounds, I'm 5'6"