Correlation between weight/diet/exercise and period pain?

Options
Cause I know how much we allll love a "That bish TOM" thread! <3

Before I started my fitness journey I was very underweight, smoked a packet a day, and half starved myself on a low calorie and sometimes crappy diet...and I used to have the most sever period pain....Bloating was really bad, and my PMS seem to be lasting most of the month. BUT since changing my life style, gaining 10+ lbs to bring me up to a much healthier weight, eating healthier and much much more, and more importantly exercising several (to many) days each week, I have notice that quite often my period pain is almost completely gone, my periods themselves are almost unnoticeable, and bloating an mood swings are often decreased too....

Has anyone else noticed an improvement in their TOM when they reach a healthier weight, and/or from eating healthier and/or exercising regularly?

I know I read about this in the past, but my chain smoking bony *kitten* just didn't want to believe it was that simple!!!!

Replies

• nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    No, my period pains are just as bad as when I was 16. Always had bad pains, apart from just after having my two babies...then the hormones kicked in again and they got bad again. Exercise does not help either, in fact I sometimes get between period pains in my womb area due to exercise, mad but true and now I am used to it. Sometimes it sucks to be a woman!
  • healthyKYgirl
    healthyKYgirl Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Magnesium deficiency in the diet can increase menstrual pain (and also general muscle pain like soreness after workout). So can a lack of other vitamins. But I pop magnesium now when I take Vitamin D by doctor's orders and it has made a huge difference. So yes, I definitely believe a change in diet could help. And Exercise also seems to really help. Forgot to mention that.
  • AussieTrainer
    Options
    I had severe pain and even had medication for it...I used to be completely incapacitated for 2-3 days every single month. When I got to a healthy weight I noticed I still get bloating and irritated, but the pain is gone. My periods are also slightly further apart...
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I think being down in BF% can make your period lighter (but I'm no expert!). I quit my HBC back in October and have been having heavier and more painful periods, but still worth in my book. I'm getting a copper IUD next month so we'll see how that goes!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I noticed an improvement when i started taking Iron and getting better nutrients in my diet! :)
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I noticed an improvement when i started taking Iron and getting better nutrients in my diet! :)

Yes, me too actually, I really notice an overall improvement in my self when I'm on iron.....I get really draggy when i forget to take it.