Please inform yourself on Stevia before using it!

Options
I am taking nutrition classes for my degree... finds on stevia have been slightly scary. Just because something is natural doesn't automatically make it safe. I just wanted you guys to be aware of this.

:flowerforyou: Kelly

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/stevia/AN01733/rss=2

...Side effects of stevia are generally mild, such as muscle weakness, dizziness and nausea. But questions about the risks of stevia linger, including possible effects on the reproductive system and kidneys. In the United States, stevia is available only as a dietary supplement. The Food and Drug Administration hasn't approved the use of stevia as an artificial sweetener or food additive. If you're considering taking stevia as a dietary supplement, consult your doctor about the possible risks and benefits...

Replies

• His_Kelly
    His_Kelly Posts: 248
    Options
    I am taking nutrition classes for my degree... finds on stevia have been slightly scary. Just because something is natural doesn't automatically make it safe. I just wanted you guys to be aware of this.

:flowerforyou: Kelly

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/stevia/AN01733/rss=2

...Side effects of stevia are generally mild, such as muscle weakness, dizziness and nausea. But questions about the risks of stevia linger, including possible effects on the reproductive system and kidneys. In the United States, stevia is available only as a dietary supplement. The Food and Drug Administration hasn't approved the use of stevia as an artificial sweetener or food additive. If you're considering taking stevia as a dietary supplement, consult your doctor about the possible risks and benefits...
  • slimsuccess
    Options
    Yes. I agree. I have done some study on sugar substitutes and I have just started using unbleached natural sugar.
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    :smile: Thanks for the information, I have gone back to using sugar, was using Splenda and just don't feel good after using it. I am unfamiliar with unbleached sugar though and would like to know more about it.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    :smile: Thanks for the information, I have gone back to using sugar, was using Splenda and just don't feel good after using it. I am unfamiliar with unbleached sugar though and would like to know more about it.

Same thing as sugar, just not bleached, so not as white. Sugar cane choices are:
    Dried cane juice = sugar, not bleached, small crystals
    Brown sugar = white cane sugar with molasses added, usually bleached, not sure why
    Sugar in the raw = same as dried cane sugar - usually the crystals are bigger
    Turbinado sugar = sugar in the raw
    powedered sugar = crushed bleached sugar

Other sweeteners:
    honey - all kinds of honey are out there, local is considered best for air borne allergies that are not from tress - ragweed and the like - darker honeys are supposed to have extra good stuff, but I tried buckwheat honey and couldn't eat it. I would recommend a wildflower honey if you have allergies.
    Agave - cactus juice - like honey but with less of a flavor. Not cheap. Claims to have a low GI

Some places sell dried beet juice in the sugar section. I don't know how this is better or worse than cane sugar. Both are plants after all. Have not done research on this one.

Also try using fruit juice as a tea sweetener. As an added bonus, if you add Vitamin C to your green tea, it's supposed to help you absorb the good stuff from the tea.

Hope this helps!
  • Patwin55
    Patwin55 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Tea, any pekoe tea, blocks iron and vitamin C. Just something to keep in mind. Do NOT drink any pekoe tea if you have anemia! This is why tea is a very poor choice for children and pregnant people.
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your research finds with us.:smile: I guess honey it is right now unless I find some magical healthy sweetner for tea. Had to laugh to myself as my daughter went by this morning muttering something about honey better tastes good in coffee. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options

Same thing as sugar, just not bleached, so not as white. Sugar cane choices are:
    Dried cane juice = sugar, not bleached, small crystals
    Brown sugar = white cane sugar with molasses added, usually bleached, not sure why
    Sugar in the raw = same as dried cane sugar - usually the crystals are bigger
    Turbinado sugar = sugar in the raw
    powedered sugar = crushed bleached sugar

Other sweeteners:
    honey - all kinds of honey are out there, local is considered best for air borne allergies that are not from tress - ragweed and the like - darker honeys are supposed to have extra good stuff, but I tried buckwheat honey and couldn't eat it. I would recommend a wildflower honey if you have allergies.
    Agave - cactus juice - like honey but with less of a flavor. Not cheap. Claims to have a low GI

Some places sell dried beet juice in the sugar section. I don't know how this is better or worse than cane sugar. Both are plants after all. Have not done research on this one.

Also try using fruit juice as a tea sweetener. As an added bonus, if you add Vitamin C to your green tea, it's supposed to help you absorb the good stuff from the tea.

Hope this helps!

brown sugar is bleached? :sad: I guess I have to fork over the dollars for raw sugar now.

When I was a kid we always had molasses in coffee . . .I hardly ever sweeten mine anymore, but I might go back to that.
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    What about maple sirop.. give that a try in your tea or coffee .. or anything really
    (i lovvveee maple sirop.)
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Oh, yes, maple syrup is fine too. As long as it's maple syrup. Check the label.
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of Stevia. sounds like that is a good thing.

I personally use Honey as a sweetner, and pretty much the only thing that I use that on is Oatmeal.