Palm and Coconut Oil

Options
2»

Replies

• Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Wasn't aware of that with canola or that omega 6s were thought to possibly increase inflammation. Hmn.

I wouldn't say it's just a theory the research is solid, almost all omega-6s can be pro inflammatory, GLA from borage is the exception, tho we do still need some for health. Saturated animal fats can also be pro inflammatory. The ratio of omega-3s to 6s in the diet is critical, unfortunately the 6s are far more common in our food ... Of the common polyunsaturated oils for cooking canola has the better ratio but it's still two to one in favour of omega-6 IIRC, olive doesn't have that issue at all being monounsaturated.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Was referring to palm kernel. Didn't think of palm fruit, not that I actually know the difference right now. I was really just trying to determine which would be the "best" to use when cooking/baking (of veg, canola, peanut, corn, coconut, palm, olive). I go between olive and canola and was just wondering if incorporating coconut was worth a shot. I have walnut, but it's kind of pricey. If you don't mind, which do you use when cooking?

I most often use coconut but sometimes olive or red palm (fruit). Canola/ peanut/ corn/ vegetable oil all have too much omega-6 for my liking and the conversion rate of short chain to long chain omega-3 is pathetic - I'd rather eat whole nuts and seeds and the minerals along with the omega-6s, and rather eat oily fish for omega-3s.

Rather less scientifically I secretly like the idea of using oils that our ancestors might have used, fruit oils are easier to extract than that from hard seeds. Even less scientifically I keep the coconut oil in stock for my hair and even my cat thinks it's real food, ha ha!

Wasn't aware of that with canola or that omega 6s were thought to possibly increase inflammation. Hmn.

they do indeed.