How much did you lose before anyone noticed?

Options
I started at 225.5 and have lost 25 lbs. (almost at Onederland....yay!), but no one seems to think I look thinner (well, at least no one has said anything positive to me yet), even though my former "fat pants" are falling off of me. I guess some folks don't show a weight loss until they reach a certain amount, so my question is: How much weight did you lose before anyone noticed?

Replies

• tessaeve
    tessaeve Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    40 LBS. Before anyone said anything to me. I think they were just waiting to see if I was going to stick with it.
  • mrsna
    mrsna Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 8.5". I had to lose 30-35 pounds before anyone except my husband even commented. When they finally commented people started asking me to be their accountability partner. I don't think it is that people don't notice, they just don't comment. Keep up the hard work and people will start commenting soon!
  • L_Stradford
    L_Stradford Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Way to go on the weight that you have lost.

When I initially lost weight, my husband noticed after about 30 pounds. I noticed that I looked thinner after about 20 pounds. Keep working hard and don't give up. Whether people notice or not, it's about you and what you see when you look in the mirror. I didn't care who noticed, I felt great knowing that I had done it.

Keep up the good work!
  • emcdonie
    emcdonie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    It is hard for me to say. Most people I know, also know I am trying. Thus they are looking for it. They say they see it in my face and so on. I can't help but wonder if they are just saying that to be nice.

My husband sees it of course, but if the average person seen me and didn't know to "look for it", I highly doubt they'd notice. I also wear very loose dresses. Right now, they are so loose it is silly and I need to sew more properly fitting ones.

The sad part is this is after 50 pounds down. My complete total I needed to lose is around 210..... I am still currently 284.8 with such a long way to go. So in time, I hope to shock people. :-P
  • katrwal
    katrwal Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    hey gorgeous - previous posters are pretty accurate... it was at least 40 pounds before anyone really noticed that i was dropping any weight... and then at about 45 pounds lost, i started to hear the "you're not going to get any skinnier, right" stuff... harder to tell in the winter when we've all got the bulky sweaters, trousers, socks, etc. - i did notice people comment more when the layers of clothes make it tough to tell...

of course, it could have also been my sparkling personality that would have kept them from commenting... years of responding to the "have you lost weight" question with "why, do you you think i'm fat? how about i tell you everything that's wrong with you?" conditioned my friends & family to avoid the question like the laundry (plague is so 15th century) :tongue:

you're doing fabulously... keep up the good work! ((hugs))
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    A few people at work noticed when I'd lost around 15. At around 20-25, I bought some replacement clothes at Goodwill that fit much better and then everyone noticed. I think it was the clothes more than anything.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Cliche, but, no one really said anything when I dropped 35#, but I've gotten tons of comments since maintaining that weight and adding strength training (lost another 3 inches off my waist).

ETA it is kind of fun when people use the "OMG don't lose any more weight!!" And I can reply with "I haven't lost a pound since August"
  • musiqueange
    musiqueange Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I started at 225.5 and have lost 25 lbs. (almost at Onederland....yay!), but no one seems to think I look thinner (well, at least no one has said anything positive to me yet), even though my former "fat pants" are falling off of me. I guess some folks don't show a weight loss until they reach a certain amount, so my question is: How much weight did you lose before anyone noticed?

It just happened for me this past weekend! I started at 220 and I reached 200 a few days ago (so 20 pounds/I probably gained a pound back from my New Years Eve/Day shenanigans, though :P) and my extended family has noticed. My guy cousin asked his wife how much weight I'd lost because he had noticed but didn't want to ask me. I don't mind at all! I think it just depends on the type of clothes you wear because I was wearing a tshirt that was a little more to my shape than what I usually wear.

Awesome work!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I've lost 15 pounds and my boyfriend has said my boobs are smaller, but that's the only comment I've gotten from anyone else. :laugh: I see the changes, though, and that's good.

Lots of people won't comment on your weight one way or the other because it might be seen as rude.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11'' so I have to lose more before you can tell.
    I've lost 40lbs and a clothing size and only recently started getting comments from friends and coworkers. I think it's more of a time thing, too. They say it takes 12 weeks for people to notice (that see you a lot)
  • aliceb39
    aliceb39 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4", and people started noticing at about 30 lbs. LIke someone above said, it was probably when I started wearing some tighter-fitting jeans, at least at work. Most people said they'd noticed sooner but didn't want to say anything. And one dear old lady at church this last Sunday asked me how I was feeling. I said I was fine and wondered why she'd asked; she had noticed the weight loss and was concerned. 8^)
  • eversoclever
    Options
    I am 5'3" and down about 20lbs before anyone commented. For me, that's about 2 clothing sizes.
  • amymichelle1226
    amymichelle1226 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I had someone first start to say something at 20lbs, now I'm almost at 30lbs and people will say things more often now.
  • lotusspark
    Options
    Except for my hubby & mother, noone has ever commented.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    The only people that ever really say anything to me (except for my wife) are people that I only see on occasion. My weight loss has been very gradual @ right around 1 Lb per week...so people that I'm in contact with on a daily basis don't really notice that gradual decline unless they really stop to think about it or see me in the lunchroom with my salad instead of a 2 Lb burrito. People that I only see on occasion often times have difficult placing what is different about me and then...ding...light bulb goes on and they say, "wow, you've really lost some weight."

Keep in mind also that a lot of people really aren't comfortable commenting on weight, even if it's positive comments.
  • Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    probably about 25 lbs. I was waiting until I went down 2 sizes before buying new clothes, so the clothes I was wearing were pretty baggy. I just didn't want to waste money if I thought the size I was at was only going to be temporary, so as I was losing, I would wait until the clothes were just too baggy to really wear. But that's when people noticed, because my clothes were so baggy.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I guess I was just kinda bummed when I saw my sister-in-law over Christmas. She hadn't seen me in a year, and I told her on the phone that I had lost weight, but when I saw her, she never said anything. :sad: :ohwell:

But it's OK...I'm doing this for ME and I FEEL so much better! My BP is under control for once in 14 years! YAY! :smile:
  • marz31
    marz31 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 25, few people really noticed. but I've been maintaining weight and losing inches for a year (not a ton, mind you, but something) and buying clothes that fit better and people have noticed more from that than the 25 pounds I've lost.
  • ravenchick
    ravenchick Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    70 pounds before anyone said anything to me but I started at 323. I think sometimes people are scared to say anything in case you're losing due to health issues. Give it time, they will notice. :smile:
  • carlom18
    carlom18 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    around 10kgs plus later people started to notice.....