Calorie Calc says....

Options
http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

This calorie calc has you enter your weight and the # minutes you do an activity (as most do). It has "driving" as an activity. I spent 4 hours in the car today and it says, at 229 I burned 824 calories.

Could that be????????

Replies

• SugarHi
    SugarHi Posts: 452
    Options
    Were you dancing, singing and working up a sweat? I'd say you did burn calories driving, but that seems too damn good to be true. But if so, then you will find me in my car all DAY LONG! lol... hmmm interesting none-the-less.
  • hehubbard83
    Options
    Gosh, I hope so! Lol, I drive 3 hours a day 3 days a week!
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    If driving is part of your daily routine, then your driving calories are part of your base calories (that 1200-2000, whatever MFP has "given" you)

As a truck driver, I can see how driving a large vehicle with a hard clutch and a tight shifter may cause you to burn some extra.... but there is no way you burned over 800 calories just driving a regular car. Heck, even in the situation I mention, I think 800 extra would be a high estimate! I mean really, you aren't doing much more driving than you are watching television - thinking more, perhaps - but not moving.
  • Dumspiro
    Options
    I would assume that's just a portion of what your body burns in normal functioning...which is included in your calories when you entered your BMR. I wouldn't categorize that in your exercise...if that's what you're getting at lol.
  • KarenWantsABikini
    Options
    Lol I wonder how many calories you would burn with a bit of road rage " get outta my wAy" shaking your fist ! Giggle :)
  • WonderNoodle
    Options
    Well I think it would be "cheating" to enter it as exercise. I was shocked by what it said. I mean, sitting like a slug in an automatic vehicle, over 800 calories? Probably doesn't consider if you snack while you drive. LOL!

I just think it's too good to be true and wanted somebody to smack me back to reality before I was tempted to say, "yeah, I did that".
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Well, I would take your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure, and DIFFERENT from BMR!), divide that by 24 to figure out approximately how many calories you burn per hour, and then multiply that by the number of hours you drove. Now take the number that calculator gave you and subtract the number you just figured up. That is how many calories you actually burn, beyond your normal calorie usage, while driving for that length of time.

My thought (no numbers, or research to back this up!) is that the two are probably VERY close. I'm curious whether it is even enough to get me a wedge of laughing cow.