Why does break down of muscle prevent weight loss?

Options
Hi everyone,

I've read banks' very informative post about eating back exercise calories here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

However, I'm having trouble understanding the last part of it:

"The important thing to understand is (and this is REALLY important) the closer you are to your overall healthy weight (again, your metabolism views this a a range, not a specific number) the more prominant the survival mode becomes (remember, we talked about efficiency). This is because as fat becomes scarce, muscle is easier to break down and transport. And thus, the reason why it's harder to lose that "Last 10 pounds".

I understand it's undesirable to break down and transport muscle for energy, however, why does this mechanism prevent weight loss? Wouldn't the break down of muscle also cause weight loss (albeit unhealthy weight loss)?

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Yes the break down of muscle can cause weight loss, but the more lean muscle mass the higher your metabolism is, the easier it is to lose and the easier it is to maintain weight loss.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Let me ask you a different question.

If you could prevent muscle loss, while losing weight, why wouldn't you?
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    One of my big struggles was losing weight while preserving lean body mass.
    MFP really needs an equal focus on body fat as well as body weight.
    Mere weight is NOT the whole picture of health and fitness.
  • Matt_Wilken
    Options
    Yes the break down of muscle can cause weight loss, but the more lean muscle mass the higher your metabolism is, the easier it is to lose and the easier it is to maintain weight loss.
    This^
  • mogz36
    mogz36 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying I want to lose muscle. I'm just trying to fully understand banks' post.

dad106's explanation helps. Thanks much!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying I want to lose muscle. I'm just trying to fully understand banks' post.

dad106's explanation helps. Thanks much!
    Jolly good then, carry on. Too many people here fixate on weightloss rather than fat loss.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Let me ask you a different question.

If you could prevent muscle loss, while losing weight, why wouldn't you?
    This...flabby thicker but light on the scale you vs tight skinnier heavier you...
  • mogz36
    mogz36 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    (* throws chair *)