Exercise in a hospital?

Options
2»

Replies

• rgohm
    rgohm Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I am very sorry to hear that your son is sick. I think you should talk to the nurses, they might be able to point out a physical therapy gym or make other suggestions. Portion control will certainly be key. Good luck!
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    some of the plyo moves don't have to include much jumping. like speedskaters, jump squats, so on.

you could also bring in an aerobic step, like the kind for step classes
    march, run, to music or even bring in a dvd to do in the room if you can.

if you have a little bit of space, you could do various workout videos in the room. something low impact.
    my fav. instructor is cathe friedrich, but if you can't get her workouts you could use some of her slide and glide
    moves. you could also use furniture movers or paper plates in place of the slide and glide thingies.
    slide and glide is the name of 1 of hundreds of workouts she has. low impact. and I hear it gives a great burn :)
    clips of all her workouts are on youtube and her website.

also, you can do a lot with resistance bands and loops. she does these fire walkers, killer for the hips/legs :)

sorry to hear about your son, prayers and hope that everything goes well for a fast recovery!
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Wishing all good health to son and you :-)

Resistance tubes for strengthening arms and something simple like marching with hi knee lifts in the room even 10 minutes at 3 different times per day will be good. Also make sure to stretch and stay limber. Could you do a walking DVD like one of Leslie Sansome's.

Best of luck :-)
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Most hospitals have a work out room for their staff. Most hospitals also have a weight loss program which sometimes lets their patients use it. I bet if went to the weight loss program people and asked if you could work out when you were there they would help you. If not, it was worth asking.
  • one15ts
    one15ts Posts: 91
    Options
    you could get one of those thick exercise mats. it will cushion jumping noise. a portable stepper or those exercise bands could be an option, too.

stepper: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym-Aerobic-Step/10910439
    the 4 bases on the bottom are detachable.

exercise bands: http://www.amazon.com/Black-Mountain-Products-Resistance-Included/dp/B002L6WO5U/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1357173540&sr=8-7&keywords=exercise+bands
    if you're over 5'3, i don't recommend it.
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I have spent a lot of time in 2012 as a patient. It is all about walking. Around the building, halls, etc. You can try yoga
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I wish speedy recovery for your son. As for workouts, push-ups, chair dips, bodyweight squats are your best friends. Or invest in a resistance band, you can do a lot of moves with it anywhere.