Running?

Options
I usually do at home workouts with walking dvd's like Leslie Sansone but this past week I started doing the free run with my Wii Fit and have done over 2 miles in 10 minutes for the last 5-6 days. I know 2 miles doesn't seem like alot in 10 minutes but a year ago I could have never done that with my bad knees and excess weight I was carrying around. Since I have lost 120 pounds in the last year I can now!

Right now I am running in place in my house on level ground but was wanting some tips on progressing to running on a treadmill and then eventually outside running. I am still leary of my bad knees and that is why I have just been running in place in the house due to the level ground issue.

Any tips or pointers? I am planning to up my runs to 4 miles a day 2 miles in the morning before work in 10 minutes and then 2 miles in the late afternoon after work in 10 minutes this week and then increase the time I run with miles I run. I don't have a treadmill currently but will be going to Planet Fitness when it opens in my town on 1/17/13.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Personal preference, but I think ruunning outside is better than running on a treadmill. If you use a treadmill always have a slight incline otherwise it doesn't replicate real running. I would also go to a running shop (in UK it's called Sweatshop) and get a pair of trainers that suit your instep. The staff are professionally trained and should take your budget into consideration. They can be a lot of money £100 or so, but for me it meant the difference of injuring myself and not injuring myself.
  • NyimaR
    NyimaR Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Try couch to 5K - lots of people on here swear by it, and I have found it a great way to get my running ability up (I'm about half way through) http://www.c25k.com/
  • _danjo_
    _danjo_ Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your awesome weight loss so far! And good for you upping your challenge and adding in running. However, I will warn you that actually running is very different from running in place. 2 miles in 10 minutes = 5 minute miles, which is elite runner pace. You will find that running on a treadmill is very different from road running also. You might want to try running on a local track that is made of recycled rubber (instead of asphalt). It will be easier on your knees than the road (and in my opinion the treadmill).
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    2 miles in 10 minutes outside or on the treadmill is not easy. That's 5 min a mile so I would set the goal for a little longer. I don't think running in place can even compare so I would just do it. Start out on a treadmill or head outside and try for a set time first or do intervals of jogging/walking. The key will be to get good shoes first of all because that will really help with knee/shin pain
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Personal preference, but I think ruunning outside is better than running on a treadmill. If you use a treadmill always have a slight incline otherwise it doesn't replicate real running. I would also go to a running shop (in UK it's called Sweatshop) and get a pair of trainers that suit your instep. The staff are professionally trained and should take your budget into consideration. They can be a lot of money £100 or so, but for me it meant the difference of injuring myself and not injuring myself.

Thanks. I figured running outside is much different than in place at home or on a treadmill. I know walking in place at home is from walking outside. I do have a good pair of New Balance shoes that are still good and I have custom made orthotics in them too. Although after loosing 120 pounds the orthotics might not be correct now.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Ruuning with the Wii fit, is NOTHING like outside.

If you are on;y starting I think you should look into couch to 5k.
  • Hopintolose
    Hopintolose Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You are amazingly inspiring.... oh my word. I'm blown away.
  • jtslim42
    jtslim42 Posts: 240
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss!
    I don't think the Wii is very accurate. A 5 minute mile is extremely difficult for most. With that said, congrats on wanting to get on a treadmill and run or do it outside. I recommend running outside and getting fresh air. There are plenty of apps to help too if you want to follow a plan.
    The treadmill is easier on your knees if there aren't any non-concrete running trails. Start slow and listen to your body.
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    i agree w/ Valerie, as a beginning runner expect your miles to be more in the 10+ min mile range, 5 min miles are insanely fast, i dont think i know ANYONE (and i know a lot of runners) who run that fast, close but not 5 min miles.

run outside, take it slow, don't heal strike, try to land midfoot or for foot and it will take the impact off your joints and force your bodys tendons and muscles to do their job in absorbing the inpact.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Ruuning with the Wii fit, is NOTHING like outside.

If you are only starting I think you should look into couch to 5k.

yeah, don't be disappointed if you hit the road/treadmill and aren't quite getting the 2 miles in 10 minutes.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. I figured running in place vs. running on a treadmill or outside will be tougher for me. I experience that when I went from walking at home with a dvd to walking outside. Used different muscles I hadn't used when walking at home in place!
    I might try to brave it outside tonight after work and run some outside and see how it goes just in my neighborhood. It's only supposed to be about 20 degrees here so not for sure how long I will be out there but I won't know till I try it right!
    Who would have ever thought I would want to run for exercise!?!?! Life has sure changed alot in the last year! :smile:
  • SalamanderMeg
    SalamanderMeg Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Wii fit is drastically overestimating your mileage. Unless you are some kind of superwoman, you are not running 2 miles in 10 minutes. That being said it's not a bad video game for getting you prepped to run outside. Just start short distances-I would find a short loop so you don't have the option of turning around and quitting.
  • niclan724
    niclan724 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I would def start with C25K...either on the treadmill or outside. I hated running in the past. I started with that this time last year and in Sept I ran my 1st half marathon!! You can find the program on the computer, but the easiest way to follow it is with the mobile app. Works wonders!!
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    There are pros and cons to running outside versus running on the treadmill. Since it's cold and snowy here right now, the treadmill is my primary option, but I don't look at it as a complete negative.

Because the treadmill forces you to go a certain speed, it's great for doing speed work and training your body to run faster. That being said, if you do get on the treadmill, do NOT set the speed to what you have been doing on the Wii Fit (12 mph)--you will, in all likelihood, injure yourself.

When the weather is nicer, I do all sorts of running outside--on the track at our local high school (can get boring for long distances--I tend to use it for sprint intervals). There is a nice 4 mile road loop near my house that is my usual run, and a 0.75 mile loop at the park where my son has his sports practices. Mixing it up keeps it from getting boring. I appreciate the solitude of running alone because it gives me time to think!
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    First of all, great job!

Make sure you have good shoes. I used to always let mine wear too far, and I can now tell when it's time to replace them. Treadmill and outside running are very different. I have a bad knee, and the treadmill does cushion the impact more. When I do run outside, I stick to the dirt trails near our farm. I would rather not run on concrete or pavement.

Take it at an easy pace for awhile to get your knees used to the new movements. I have found that some strength training (squats, lunges, etc) has helped my knee get tougher.

And most of all Have Fun! You really do have to enjoy the exercise you are doing!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    You might want to get started on your local HS track if you're wary of uneven surfaces. Tracks are generally "cushy" so they're easier on the joints than concrete and without uneven surfaces. The tradeoff is that they're (IMO) the most boring running possible, but it would be good to learn there and get started safely.

Do you mean you do 2 miles at 10 minutes each? (so 20 minutes for 2 miles)? Two miles in 10 minutes is race-winning fast. I've spent the last few months training specifically to speed up my mile time, and I am not even close to a 5 minute mile...I am not sure i ever will be in my life! Haha
  • EmHorn4
    EmHorn4 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I would recommend Couch to 5K to anyone in a heartbeat if they're interested in becoming a runner. A more realistic starting goal for running slow and steady is anywhere from 11 to 14 minutes per mile. Expect 2 miles of real running to take you 20-30 minutes. The couch to 5K program helps you alternate walking and running for a half an hour to gradually phase out the walking, phasingin more running, and achieve 30 minutes of continuous running at the end of the program. Don't pay attention to the miles as much as I would the minutes! Your pace will be different than everyone else's and that is what makes running such a personal sport :) I did the couch to 5k program to begin running in May 2011, and I became addicted to running 5Ks, and ran my first half marathon this past August. Be careful, remember to take your rest days (I had knee issues and taking the rest days not only improved my running, but warded away overuse issues), stay consistent, and GOOD LUCK! :wink:
  • rosebudbutterfly
    rosebudbutterfly Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting to run but only tried it once. Thank you for giving the idea on trying it again.:smile:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    step one start running

there is no step two
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    HAHAHAhahahahaha someone just told me about this post. too funny.