Which running apps have the best GPS signal?

Options
2»

Replies

• TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Nike+
  • ShawnNhGa1977
    ShawnNhGa1977 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Runtastic is the best free one ive used thus far. most accurate

i also use runtastic and i love it i used to use Nike + running app for iphone
  • JustAGirlyGeek
    JustAGirlyGeek Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Love my Nike+ app.
  • imakimm
    imakimm Posts: 839
    Options
    I like Nike+ too. I have used many different ones but Nike+ is my favorite.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I run in my neighborhood and have yet to find a running app that is accurate. I'm currently using Charity Miles because I like that it donates per every mile run, however, there are certain segments where I lose the signal (example: I ran for 36 minutes, and it only read about 1.7 miles when I know by measuring my route in the car that I ran about 3 miles). I've also used MapMyRun and the free Pedometer app for iphone, both of which also lose the signal in my wooded neighborhood.

I'd love to find an app that really works, and it doesn't have to be free. Or should I give up and use a pedometer? I really want to track my miles run for the year in an accurate way.

Thanks!

The newer iPhones (4, 4D and 5) have a true GPS receiver in them while earlier models use cell tower signals.

GPS's, in general, have problem in heavily wooded areas, in cities with large buildings, and in canyons because the foliage reduces the signal strength and the receiver has a hard time picking it up.

The hardware and hardware-specific software ("firmware") are designed to continue to try to receive and use a signal but there's a limit to everything, right? (I've never designed the software side of a GPS but I've been writing software for a living for 20+ years and have owned since the 1990's, so I have some insight into how "stuff" should be hooked together).

Check out this trip:

http://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=5826

I use a tracking device called SPOT when I do long distance motorcycle rides. SPOT sends a signal to a satellite every 10 minutes. Note that there was no problem with my SPOT track until I got up to Yosemite. The road going into Yosemite is heavily wooded and goes through pretty steep areas at times. The terrain and tree cover are enough to block the signal.

Have you considered getting an inexpensive HRM with a dedicated GPS? I don't know if that would fare better but it might be worth it.
  • joelr86
    joelr86 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Pretty much reflecting what others are saying, but the GPS signal won't really change by using a different app as it's down to the device you're using.

If you're having trouble with signal (perhaps in a city or woods), you could consider a GPS watch, cheaper ones are around $99 and can sync with garmin connect, run keeper and loads of other apps.
  • raeganjayne15
    Options
    i use endomondo and it auto posts here and FB!
    Same!