Thoughts on Nutrisystem?

Options
Has anyone ever tried Nutrisystem? I was wondering if the food is ok or if its terrible. Thoughts? Thanks!!!

Replies

• skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Gross, over processed and over priced .

I tried it several times. Lost and regained every time. The foods are also high in sugar alcohols which can cause some really hideous gas.

Eat real food and count your calories. It's cheaper and it works just as well.
  • Bridget0927
    Bridget0927 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    agreed. I tried it a few years ago, the food smells and tastes like Dog food.

If your set on premade meals maybe check out one that has fresh food like Seattle Sutton or something like that.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it because of a few reasons. The main reason is the price... it is more than I spend now to feed two adults and a dog in a month. I couldn't imagine spending that much on just me. Also, it's all packaged, processed crap. Sure it's good to portion control but in all honesty, how are you going to learn how to eat properly, have portion control when you are eating packaged foods all day everyday? That was another thing for me.... it's not all that healthy and I'm here to learn. What happens when you stop eating Nutrisystem? Without learning how to prepare foods, portion them and such how will one keep the weight off?

I would much rather prepare my own meals with fresh ingredients. I have heard Nutrisystem tastes gross as well.

It's not hard to make something like it for yourself. Go out and get a bunch of containers if you don't have them already. Cook multi portions of meats, vegetables, rice/pastas, etc and portion them out into the containers and freeze. Makes the same sort of thing but much better for you and much much cheaper.
  • jmyoung971
    jmyoung971 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks a bunch!! Using myfitnesspal has totally helped me eat less and I have lost a little over a pound every week since I have started. I guess I am paying to close attention to the lose weight commercials when I work out!!
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    last time I tried it their food was so bad.. even my dog wouldn't eat it ..yuck!
  • jmyoung971
    Options
    Thanks a bunch for your input!! :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    My dad tried it a couple of years ago...yes, it did work and he lost weight, but he was misserable doing so. The food was disgusting and not satisfying for him at all. He was pretty depressed the entire time he was on it; when he went off of it, he regained and then some. Like most diets, it doesn't teach you how to actually eat in a healthy and nutritious way and in proper portions to sustain those results.

It's also really expensive IMHO...I'd rather spend that money on healthy, whole foods.
  • a_mandolin_
    a_mandolin_ Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    The boyfriends dad tried it. He said it was awful, but didn't want to just waste it so he gave some things to me, because I'm a garbage disposal and will eat ANYTHING. I couldn't eat it. It was so disgusting.

They had snack pretzels, which tasted like sawdust and had more calories than regular pretzels.
  • jmyoung971
    Options
    Well looks like my best bet would be to not spend a crap load of money on Nutri system, Thanks a bunch!!
  • survivor1952
    survivor1952 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I did it years ago when they still had weigh in locations & meetings as well as selling their food. The food was so-so but I lost a lot of weight...and then within a year gained most of it back and then shortly after had to have my gall bladder out So, I personally would say do it on your own with your own food, that way what you lose will be a permanent solutiion. Having someone portion out your food for you doesn't teach you much.
  • ArianaLuvsMe101
    Options
    Gross!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I've never done the actual program, but a friend did and I tried the food. OMG. That crap is DISGUSTING. It looks and tastes NOTHING like it does in the commercials. Blech. It was hideous. Yes, it is portioned out for you but that was the only advantage I saw to it. Reading labels, learning what a true portion size is, counting calories, etc is a far better way to lose. Who would want to eat that crap for the rest of their lives?
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I never bought it because I am a poor teacher. But one of the teachers at my school (with a rich hubby) tried it for a while them when she quit, she brought some to school to let us poor folks try it. I like fresh food best but I've never had trouble eating processed food before....before I met nutrasystem, that is. COMPLETELY UNEDIBLE!!! I tried meals, snacks, and dessert. I could not stand any of it. I've never turned down a dessert, even a sugar free dessert. Save your money, honey!!
  • goingwithgrace
    goingwithgrace Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    We tried it. Very few things were good and it was expensive. I wouldn't recommend it. Cooking for yourself with fresh ingredients is so much better!!
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Well looks like my best bet would be to not spend a crap load of money on Nutri system, Thanks a bunch!!

Take the money and stock up on healthy foods and some great cookbooks. Learn how to prepare foods which will be much better for you in the long run.
  • Juashmom
    Options
    Ive tried it a couple times and never stuck to it. First time I tried was over 20 years ago when they had the centers then I tried again about 10 years ago when you bought online purchased the 30 day supply...Food wasn't that great only a couple things i really liked so of course they went first and then I was left with the crap in the end. Its VERY expensive, you have to suppliment with veggies and fruits so it doesn't eliminate the grocery...prob wouldn't be too bad if your single and only buying food for yourself but I also had a family to feed..I think I lost 14 lbs the first time and 12 the second time durring the 30 days but as with all diets I ended up gaining it right back.
  • Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Has anyone ever tried Nutrisystem? I was wondering if the food is ok or if its terrible. Thoughts? Thanks!!!

The food is gross. I tried it once, order the food, but couldn't bring myself to eat it. Also, when you added up the calories for the 3 meals and 1 snack you are allotted per day, it was only 800 calories. I think they do say you can add veggies,

If you are looking for the convenience of pre-portioned foods that you can heat up, I'd just do lean cuisines, smart ones, amy's organic, cedarlane, etc type meals, or if you have the dough to spend, alot of major cities have services like this one: www.myfitfoods.com that prepare the food fresh. People will rail against these options, but hey, the do help and taste better than nutrisystem and if it works for you, then it shouldn't be problem.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I know someone who tried it a few years ago. She said the food was okay, but was dissatisfied by the cost. The go over the food costs in the commericials, but that's just for the packaged food, you still have to suppliment with fresh foods so you still have a decent grocery bill on top of it.

Personally, any food that normally needs refridgerated that comes in a shelf stable version concerns me. It indicates to me that they this version is way over processed. It's better to just make your own properly portioned grab and go meals in advance. If preserved properly most meals can be frozen and maintained for weeks or months and reheated without issue, for a fraction of the cost, and a fraction of the sodium and none of the preservatives found in most convenience foods.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

My mom used to buy their food years ago. The only problem with it is that it doesn't teach you how to choose food once you are off the program.
  • candoit14
    candoit14 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Food is horrible! I always felt sick. Today it was rated the worst diet program. Which was rated #1...Fitness Pal