treadmill running versus outside running

Options
Amy_B
Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
Which do you prefer? Do you find you burn more calories or do better overall on one versus the other?

Replies

• SugarHi
    SugarHi Posts: 452
    Options
    You will always burn more calories running outside. You will also always use muscles outside that you don't use on the treadmill. This is really due to uneven ground, dodging obstacles and so on. I have a treadmill and I swear by it, but I only use it in the winter, when summer comes I'll be back outside huffing and puffing... :flowerforyou:
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Let me preface this by saying that I don't really *like* running at all. I've always had bad feet and knees and ever since the forced "mile run" in elementary school, running has made me feel like a buffalo.

That said, when I was training to do a triathlon (just a sprint - 5K run), I found it much more difficult to run outside than on a treadmill. I'm assuming the difficulty also meant a higher caloric burn. I'm guessing it had to do with not having a belt to move the ground beneath me and also the little hills and valleys and micro-adjustments needed to maintain balance. (But that's all just a total guess.)

When I got used to running outside (and over some of my self-consciousness) I really did prefer it over the treadmill. I get too bored running in place.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i prefer outside. i hate the treadmill. (it hates me back.) :)
  • gisii
    gisii Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    i use the treadmill because i dont really like running outside.. i always say am gonna and never do... when i got to the gym however ( 4-5days a week) its much better to use the treadmill
  • JayAlexander
    JayAlexander Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I can run a mile and a half so far on the treadmill, and outside I can run a MINUTE AND A HALF! So needless to say, I prefer the treadmill over outside.
  • jrevels86
    Options
    Outside running may burn more calories and use more muscle, but what I find is that running on a treadmill keeps me motivated by letting me know how far I've gone, how many calories I've burned, and how long I've been running. It does feel good to sweat outside though!
  • carp68
    carp68 Posts: 42
    Options
    I prefer the treadmill as it's easier on my knees. I compensate by running longer. I've run outside but I don't like it as much...
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I hate the treadmill! I prefer to run outside, and I find that I run faster and longer outside than I do on a treadmill. I get bored easily. I burn about the same amount of cals though, because I run on a 2% incline to compensate for the ease of the treadmill and I wear a HRM to make sure I'm in my zone
  • rhonswan
    Options
    I am not much of a runner, more of a walker with a bit of jogging built in, but I much prefer outside! I get so bored w/ cardio anyway, so being outsite, the time seems to by so much quicker and I find myself willing to push myself further!
  • mhesterruns
    Options
    I prefer running outside. I like that I am moving towards my goal. I am doing the Couch 2 5K program and I pick a spot to run /walk to for each interval. When I run inside, I do laps around my playroom since I do not have a treadmill, I get bored. my breathing is easier in the nice 71 degree house versus the cold 30 some air but it just feels better to be going different places.

I have heard that running on a treadmill isn't the same as running outside since you have to actually move yourself forward. I do burn a tad bit more calories outside than inside according to my heart rate monitor. I should maybe push harder inside but I don't.

eaither way it is great that you are running. Maybe doing a little of both will keep you interested. It keeps me motivated by switching it up due to the weather...running outside is like a treat:)
  • acakeforawife
    Options
    I actually think both have their benefits and challenges, and according to my HRM, if I do the SAME workout on both, outdoors burns more calories.

Overall, I'd say the treadmill is easier physically, but tougher mentally because it's SO boring and there are very few distractions (except the other day I found myself running next to a guy who looked like Warrick from CSI, so I concocted a whole fantasy about how we were in CSI training together. Ha ha! That was a good distraction. :wink: ) I also like the treadmill to do speed work (intervals, basically) and it is excellent practice to get familiar with what certain paces feel like.

Running outside is just generally more fun, and it's, in fact, why I LIKE running at all. It's more meditative, makes you feel more connected with your city and other people in it, and you never know what you're going to see. It IS harder though because on the treadmill you basically are only propelling yourself UPWARDS, whereas running outside you have to propel yourself both UPWARDS and FORWARDS. Twice the work, almost.
  • Phatdaddymike
    Options
    For me, putside is the ONLY way to run!! I have and use a treadmill only when there is snow outside. I thinks its HARDER on a TM. I cannot keep up with the TM compared to outside. My pace is usually a 9:30 to 10:30 minute mile outside but trying to do that same pace on a TM KILLS me, i cant keep up! Its like im trying to sprint to keep up with it. But maybe try both and see what works for you, based on some of the comments, the TM works best for some people! Good luck!
  • signchik
    Options
    I don't run, but I hike. When the weather is bad for a long time, I use a stair stepper. And I do indoor rock climbing when I have the time and money. But I much prefer a good hike if at all possible. 8-10 mile hike on weekend and maybe a 3 mile during the week and I'm good. Fresh air and great scenery is worth it all. No way I'd do 3 hours of anything indoors. And it takes about 3 to do a long hike.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I'd much rather run outside than on the treadmill.