Heart Rate Monitor

Options
What is a good watch that keeps track of your heart rate. I don't want one that you have to use a chest strap with. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Replies

• jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    If you do a search you will find loads of posts on this. The most popular seem to be the Polat FT4 and FT7. Remember to look for used ones too on eBay.
  • JustAGirlyGeek
    JustAGirlyGeek Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    This one links up to MFP and doesn't use a strap. I haven't been able to find any reviews on it though.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/apps/show/16

Otherwise I love my Polar FT7 (which uses the chest strap). They are probably more accurate than the ones without the strap but I don't know for sure.
  • portergolf
    Options
    Chest strap monitors are generally more accurate, not saying that non-straps won't work but may not be as accurate. Polar is good but they can be pricey. Have you looked at Timex?

I have the Timex T5J031 Unisex Digital Fitness Heart Rate Monitor Watch. They can be found for about $60-70 new. I like it a lot.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Without a chest strap you'll have very low accuracy because you have to keep stopping, get your finger on the right spot, wait for it to register your heart rate and then carry on. Not an easy thing to do and half the time they can't pick up your pulse.

A Polar FT4 is a very reasonably priced unit with a very soft chest strap that you can barely tell you're wearing. If you're worried about a chest strap because of comfort or visibility keep in mind that a HRM is only meant to be worn during steady cardio activity. It isn't for wearing all the time to get your BMR or total daily calorie burn.