Paleo diet?

Options
I started the Paleo diet this monring. It's tricky!!
Who has done this? Success? Fail? Suggestions?

Replies

• BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Suggestion = Do not do it if you do not plan to live by it. Most people do it lose weight and then go right back to old eats. CARBS are not bad ! ;-) well good luck if you give it a go!
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    restrictions on what I can eat? nooooo thank you
  • jtslim42
    jtslim42 Posts: 240
    Options
    I have not done the diet but did read a book to gain more knowledge on the subject. I recommend it....
    Primal Body, Primal Mind by Nora T. Gedgaudas, CNS, CNT
  • Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I agree with a great deal of the paleo diet, but not all of it. Cave men cooked food, so the whole, "can you eat it raw" doesn't apply in my book. Like anything, take the good parts and skip the bad ones. As to the above post about carbs, carbs can be good or bad depending on where you get them. The biggest thing I take from paleo is to eat food as close to its natural state as possible, meaning, avoid processed foods! Also, FAT is not bad, your brain actually uses fat for fuel from what I have read, and fats in fish, nuts, and olive oil are good for you.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Suggestion = Do not do it if you do not plan to live by it. Most people do it lose weight and then go right back to old eats. CARBS are not bad ! ;-) well good luck if you give it a go!

^^This. It's a lifestyle, find something you can stick with. You only have 6 pounds to lose and you look great..really fit! But if the Paleo lifestyle fits you then go for it.
  • oskarsdombrava
    Options
    I did too have issues, but then started cooking recipes from book http://genow.org/paleo/ and no more issues. Great food and results now after 2 weeks.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Not a diet, lifestyle change forever....I love it, and would never go back to eating processed , prepackaged foods. Never felt better in my life. I would sugget joining the Paleo group, people get very controvercial over Paleo for some reason on these threads ...and for eating raw??? I don't think it premotes eating raw meat...after all the research I have done I don't remember reading that.

For the last year I was trying to lose that last 10 pounds to no avail. After being Paleo for 8 weeks, I lost 6 pounds and 3% BF, eating way more , do not pmiss sugar, dairy or grains at all. Totally thought I would. After having some non-paleo foods at christmas...I suffered, felt horrible, good reminder why I don't eat crap anymore.

Only cons is the planning ahead, the amont of cooking I need to do, and searching for whole ingrediets sometimes, and eating out can be tricky.

Pros - lost body fat, lost weight, acne gone, energy, anxiety gone, never bloated anymore, PMS very minimal now if any :bigsmile:
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

Paleo isn't necessarily a low carb way of eating. I know plenty of people that eat a lot of carbs. Mine are up and down, depending on my activity level.

To the OP......what do you find tricky about it?
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Not a diet, lifestyle change forever....I love it, and would never go back to eating processed , prepackaged foods. Never felt better in my life. I would sugget joining the Paleo group, people get very controvercial over Paleo for some reason on these threads ...and for eating raw??? I don't think it premotes eating raw meat...after all the research I have done I don't remember reading that.

For the last year I was trying to lose that last 10 pounds to no avail. After being Paleo for 8 weeks, I lost 6 pounds and 3% BF, eating way more , do not pmiss sugar, dairy or grains at all. Totally thought I would. After having some non-paleo foods at christmas...I suffered, felt horrible, good reminder why I don't eat crap anymore.

Only cons is the planning ahead, the amont of cooking I need to do, and searching for whole ingrediets sometimes, and eating out can be tricky.

Pros - lost body fat, lost weight, acne gone, energy, anxiety gone, never bloated anymore, PMS very minimal now if any :bigsmile:

The reason is that it has always been controversial I think is that many people (and you are definitely not one of these based on this post) treat it as the "One True Way" (tm) and if you don't eat that way you're going to die young. Many of us here eat extremely healthy without being on Paleo and get the same health benefits you listed under the Pros without the complications of trying to live a food lifestyle that is difficult to adhere to in American society.

That said, I don't think Paleo is at all unhealthy and if you can deal with the challenge of maintaining it as you have, it will definitely work!
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    An emphasis on eating whole, unprocessed, foods has to be good.

But don't get suckered into the carbs = insulin = fat argument. There is more to it than that.

Robb Wolf has been posting about this recently.

I'm not convinced by the whole grains/legumes/dairy are so bad for us argument (unless we don't tolerate them well) either.

In short, eat real food unless your body has an issue with it.

I'll say again, don't get suckered by the whole insulin thing ;)