food questions for breakfast and snacks

OK, if breakfast is the most important part of the day, why are there so many calories in eggs, sausage and bacon? If the alloted amount of a serving size??

also

with the 100 calorie snack bags, are they really ok to eat or do they leave you hungry for more??

I want to get them, but am afraid of going over board....

Replies

• elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    OK, if breakfast is the most important part of the day, why are there so many calories in eggs, sausage and bacon? If the alloted amount of a serving size??

also

with the 100 calorie snack bags, are they really ok to eat or do they leave you hungry for more??

I want to get them, but am afraid of going over board....
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    I cook my eggs in a Teflon skillet, so no added frying oils, and getting turkey bacon instead of pork helps, in toast 100% multi grain bread 45 calories a slice. This is not an every morning breakfast for me, sometimes just a banana...wish they weren't so high in carbs.:smile:
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    I don't eat eggs in the morning cuz I don't find it filling. I stick to my oatmeal and berries and I find I'm much more satisfied.

I actually have boiled eggs and 2 slices of turkey bacon in my big salad at lunch and that seems to work for me.
  • elliott062907
    I'm not to wild on turkey bacon. It is chewy for me, but I do like turkey sausage. I buy it all the time, but this shopping trip I was limited with my doc billsdds bills coming from a broken tooth and my laser treatments...

I almost bought the natures own double fiber bread, but it went up from 2.29 to 2.69 and it pissed me off!!

I'll figure out something.

Tonight it is grilled chickena bd a veggie salad...

Don't do a lot of lunch on the weekends, usually just a yogurt or sugar fee jell-o....

Thanx all, your the best!!!
  • proudmama0118
    proudmama0118 Posts: 433 Member
    I don't do eggs often because my dd is allergic but if I am going to have eggs I go with Egg Beaters. Much better on the calories and fat. I ussually just stick with the Quaker Simple Harvest Oatmeal. I have become hooked on it. it is a bit more expensive, but I love it so much it is worth it. If I am still hungry I will have some toast made with the Sara Lee Delightful Honey wheat bread (45cal) and spray butter on it. The honey in the bread sweetens it enough I don't have to put anything else on it.
  • jbeasinger
    jbeasinger Posts: 57 Member
    I switched to egg beaters instead of eggs, no fat and half the calories. Usually will have some form of protein and then maybe oatmeal or a few slices of low calorie toast with sugar free jelly. My breakfast is usually between 250-300 calories.
  • elliott062907
    I do so love egg beaters and they are less expensive as well and when you cook, you can get the egg whites, half yellows or whole yellows variety, gee, I'm glad I found this web site. I have forgotten all about some of the foods and experiences mentioned.

Thanx!!!
  • elliott062907
    I don't do eggs often because my dd is allergic but if I am going to have eggs I go with Egg Beaters. Much better on the calories and fat. I ussually just stick with the Quaker Simple Harvest Oatmeal. I have become hooked on it. it is a bit more expensive, but I love it so much it is worth it. If I am still hungry I will have some toast made with the Sara Lee Delightful Honey wheat bread (45cal) and spray butter on it. The honey in the bread sweetens it enough I don't have to put anything else on it.

I love oatmeal, grits and cream of wheat, but sometimes I get heart burn real bad....
  • FitKitty
    FitKitty Posts: 46
    I love eggs and often ask the same question. I changed to egg beaters, and from there I changed to liquid egg whites (it too a few months). The Egg Beaters dont have the fat, or the cholesterol so they are great! As for bacon and sausage... I LOVE Morning Stars sausage patties, and sausage links (no meat), but they are soooooooo good. This was my breakfast this morning... try it out if you like....

Mission Low Carb Fajita
    1/2 cup Egg Beaters (I use egg whites... but I LOVE the whites)
    1 Morning Star Sausage Patty cooked in microwave and chopped up
    1 slice KRAFT 2% Swiss Cheese

Put the cheese in the Fajita, put eggs (cooked) on top, add the chopped veggie patty and enjoy!!!
    I have that with coffee and I am full for hours
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    lately when I'm home on the weekends I have been making oat bran w/ half water and half skim milk, honey and cinnamon...its soo good and filling....when I work during the week and have no time I'll either have an instant oatmeal and peice of fruit, or vanilla light yogurt and fiber one cereal...or a fiber one bar and fruit....

Eggs I love but will use egg beaters and I like to make veggie frittata's....I saute onion, garlic and broccoli, peppers, spinach, mushrooms, whatever veggies....and then will add egg beater and cook on low covered until cooked through and then top w/ shedded lofat cheese and let melt ....but again it will not usually be for breakfast unless its weekends...lmbo

hugs and great ideas!
    Ali
  • elliott062907
    I love eggs and often ask the same question. I changed to egg beaters, and from there I changed to liquid egg whites (it too a few months). The Egg Beaters dont have the fat, or the cholesterol so they are great! As for bacon and sausage... I LOVE Morning Stars sausage patties, and sausage links (no meat), but they are soooooooo good. This was my breakfast this morning... try it out if you like....

Mission Low Carb Fajita
    1/2 cup Egg Beaters (I use egg whites... but I LOVE the whites)
    1 Morning Star Sausage Patty cooked in microwave and chopped up
    1 slice KRAFT 2% Swiss Cheese

Put the cheese in the Fajita, put eggs (cooked) on top, add the chopped veggie patty and enjoy!!!
    I have that with coffee and I am full for hours

yummy!!!!! Thanx
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    As several people have mentioned, oatmeal is a great low-cal breakfast that fills you up. Regarding the 100 calorie snack packs, I used them a lot when I started losing weight since I love junk food so much, but soon found out they didn't fill me up at all. Now I'd rather use my 100 calories on an apple, granola bar, yogurt, etc that keeps me going until my next meal. But I think they are great for when you have a specific craving, like cookies or chips.
  • breakfast is the most important meal of the day, because it is your recovery from an appoximately an 8 hour fasting. While you are sleeping you are fasting. Breakfast gives you the foundation for energy for the day.

How are you preparing breakfast? A whole egg is only 80 caloires, 5g fat.

If you cut out the sausage and bacon and replace it with vegies and whole grain toast, you will cut out a TREMENDOUS amound of unnecessary fat.

Try an omelette with 3 eggs (2 whites, one whole) fill it with any veggies you have in the fridge (spinich, mushroom, onion, tomato, stringbeans, broccolli, ANYTHING) pop a slice of whole grain toast in the toaster. Top it with pepper and/or italian seasoning and BAM! a powerpacked nutrient filled breakfast. You wil have all the macronutrients you need to start the the day and you will feel much cleaner inside.

The whole thing will MAYBE be 250 calories depending on the bread you choose.

Short on time? Try same thing with hard boiled eggs. mix it with non fat plain yogurt or low fat mayo and put it all together in a whole wheat pita.

Best of luck! :)
  • elliott062907
    thank you all!!! :love: :flowerforyou:
  • icupfunny2000
    icupfunny2000 Posts: 470 Member
    I really like the 100 calorie snack packs........ im looking to be "full" when i open a bag im looking for a snack something i am craving like areo 100 cal chocolate or cheetos mmmmm cheetos have a 100 cal bag too, I also found these Delmonte real fruit fat free popsicles which are delish!!! and only 50 calories a popsicle so if im dieing for sweet i can even have 2! I also have these jello sugar free puddings that i found in the refridgerator isle at the grocery store and its like a normal size pudding and it has 60 calories. Yesterday i bought these breyers icecream cups cookies and cream flavor,,, they arent so good sort of reminds me of burnt cookies lol.....
    So needless to say i recommend the 100 calorie packs they are awesome for cravings, but if your looking for something to "fill" you try an apple i guess :flowerforyou: