Potato and Leek Soup

Options
thingal12
thingal12 Posts: 302 Member
I used a combination of recipe's I found online. I almost always tweak recipes (unless I'm baking).

Potato and Leek Soup – :flowerforyou:

338 calories with crispy onions, 287 calories without the onions.

1.25 pounds peeled potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
1 leek, cut into 1-inch chunks, all parts used, cleaned of all sand
2 tbsp’s evoo
salt and ground black pepper to your taste
1 tsp dried thyme
2 bay leaf’s
2 green onion stalks, washed and cut into 2 inch pieces
1/2 cup chicken stock, + 6 cups chicken stock
6 tbsp’s (or 1/4 cup + 1/8 cup) light or heavy cream
4 ounces cream cheese (I used full-fat Philadelphia plain)
Crispy Onions : (1)1 tbsp evoo (2) 1 tbsp unsalted butter (3) 1 thinly sliced small onion (any kind you prefer, I use yellow)

Directions

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Combine the potatoes, leeks, green onions, thyme, bay leaves, salt/pepper on a sheet pan and drizzle with evoo. Cook for 40 minutes, turning them with a spatula a few times during cooking, until very tender. Stir in the ½ cup of chicken stock and stir (I do this while it’s still in the oven ~ just be sure to be careful). Turn the oven off and remove the pan. Place the cooked vegetables in a pot over an unopened burner and add 1 cup of the chicken stock (at first). Then, using a hand held blender, blend the soup (slowly). Add the remaining 5 cups chicken stock to smooth it up even more. Add the cream cheese, light or heavy cream.. check the salt and pepper and add to your liking & Mix the soup a little. Turn the stove on medium and let the soup come to a ‘soft’ boil.

Crispy Onions Directions:

Heat the oil and butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the onions and cook (stirring occasionally) for 10-20 minutes- until they are golden-to-medium brown. Remove them from the oil with a slotted spoon. Drain, and spread out to cool on a paper towel. Once they have dried and crisped, they can be added as a topping to your soup. <- calories have been added to grand total of soup.

Place some soup in a plate and top with the crispy onions.. enjoy! :)