Working out in the cold/snow.

Options
Does anyone have any tips/advice/tricks for staying motivated when you live somewhere cold and snowy? I like being outside when I exercise, but I am finding it very hard to stay motivated. Joining a gym really isn't an option and working out in my living room is kind of hard because of who I live with.

Do I just need to bite the bullet and freeze my butt off for 30-60 minutes? Is there any gear you find helpful?

Replies

• ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Yep, pretty much given what you say about limitations being inside and no gym. Layer layer layer and head out there. There's awesome cold weather gear out there so head to a sporting good store and stock up!
  • jilliew
    jilliew Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    The key to staying warm in the winter is staying DRY. Invest in some moisture-wicking work-out wear and make sure your warm clothes are made of material that can "breathe".
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    When I was out shoveling the other day, it was probably around 20 F out, so fairly cold and I seen a lady running and she had a running suit and hood on that I imagine is made for cold weather running.. You can look into that stuff, not sure how much it is.. you would also probably want to look into getting good running shoes for traction in ice/snow.
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Since I work 6AM to 6PM I joined a gym (well really I joined a climbing gym that has workout equipment/weights/etc.) -- so for my work days I hit the gym and run on the treadmill and lift weights, and of course climb the heck out of the bouldering wall.

At least twice a week I bite the bullet and brave the cold -- in long tights, long yoga pants, 2 long sleeve shirts (a fitted one, and a training shirt), a sweatshirt, gloves, ear warmers, and two pairs of socks. After about 20 minutes you warm up and don't notice the cold too badly.
    If the temperature is above 30 I brave the cold. Anything in the teens I'm still too much of a wuss and I hit the gym <-- granted I'm from Florida and I've only lived in a cold state since September....figure I'll adjust at some point.

But yes as mentioned, get materials that are made for cold weather. I wear a lot of Under Armor [more expensive, but worth every dollar] coldgear for my base layers. And a nice warm hat or ear warmer.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I pretend i live in antarctica and Im fighting for my survival!!!!!!
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Bundle up and suck it up!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Bundle up and suck it up!

This.

Stop making excuses. Buy some decent clothes and get out there. Once you start sweating you won't even notice the cold.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I echo what other people have said. Get "wicking" or "technical" material for the layer that will be closest to you. (I prefer Pearl Izumi) Add additional layers depending on the conditions...lace em up and go. After 10 minutes you'll be good to go and you'll think it's awesome when you get done and you can see the steam coming off your head and gloves. Don't worry if ice forms in your hair or eye brows...it will be the first thing to melt when you go inside.
  • jhoney8
    jhoney8 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    So I think I need to get the fancy wicking clothes for when it warms up a little. I fell (hard) on my butt slipping in the snow last week. I don't want to do that again so I think I will probably wait until it warms up a little to brave the outside. In the mean time I just sucked it up and demanded that everyone evacuate the living room so that I can do some DVDs. I will just have to be bossy and make doing what I need a priority, whether it makes people miffed or not. Health is important.

Thanks for the advice. I needed a butt kicking. :)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you absolutely have to exercise?
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    This will keep you from falling:

http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm

It costs about $2 and takes about 5 minutes, max (if you don't have a magnetic drill bit it might take you 7 minutes). You can take the screws out at the end of winter and continue to use your shoes.

The lightweight merino wool performance clothing that is out these days is amazing. I'm slowly replacing most of my fitness clothing with this stuff.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    With the proper gear you should have no real issues being outside. I live outside of Boston and train outside pretty regularly. You might be a bit cold right when you leave the house but body heat quickly takes care of that.
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I would say yes but then if it below 15 degrees I don't go outside just do things like walk the stairs in my house.Today it is 25 degrees the sun is out and I am excited for a walk eventhough it has been snowing off and on.
  • meghannrenee
    meghannrenee Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    It was 5 degrees F this morning, wind chill of -13. I still took the dog out for a run, and I have a circulatory condition (Raynauds).

Bundle up - invest in good moisture wicking winter wear, and keep moving. I'm fine so long as I don't stop for long.

To give you an idea of what to wear:

this morning had on:

Thick smartwool socks
    Fleece lined running tights
    moisture wicking long sleeve base layer
    sport fleece long sleeve over that
    windbreaker
    vest
    gaiter
    hat
    2 pairs of gloves - smartwool liner, ski gloves over that

The first few minutes suck, but once your body's warm you should be fine.
  • porkchop_13
    Options
    I have a stationary bike that I use instead of running or walking when its 9 degrees out (like today, I live in lovely Massachusetts). The gym is not an option for me. so I will do yoga and some strength training with weights. I also live on the second floor so i cant really do like P90X or anything like that or my downstairs neighbors would despise me! lol
  • Tiffany0688
    Tiffany0688 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Under Armour Cold Gear