Ketogenic diet.

Options
2»

Replies

• BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Eskimo's consume much whale blubber - is this considered a ketogenic diet?
  • BlackStarDeceiver
    BlackStarDeceiver Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    meh.

eat right
    work hard
    repeat

i do 40/30/30 percent carbs/protein/fat... its been working well for me

crazy good
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    meh.

eat right
    work hard
    repeat

^ It is working too! Working very well!

Mmmhmmm very well indeed!

Very very very very well indeed!!!
    Smashing good idea there....indeed!! \m/

what the Giraffe Kitty said...have you SEEN her neck? So long, slender and graceful...it's SO working So well...

I am in awe and jelly of her... (blushes) don't tell her I said that though.

I am calling for a ban on the word jelly, unless you are referencing a yummy sammich with PB.

I also agree with the cranky cat giraffe lady. Then again, have you seen her backward stretchy pic? I keep trying to look up at my monitor to better see....well.....
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    70/80% fat sounds like a bit much. I try to eat Primal and limit starchy carbs and grains, mainly because I find I don't miss them and that those foods pack a ton of calories and don't satiate you like fat and meet does. I'm probably more like 40% protein/40% fat/20% carbs.
  • Kathleenabbott
    Options
    I appreciate all of your responses. I am at a plateau and was looking for something to jumpstart my weight loss again. I think I will pass on this one. I would still like to go low carb. Any suggestions on the ratio for a HEALTHY diet?
  • Remo_Williams
    Options
    Keto is currently being used as an interchangeable term with low-carb. This is not the same as the epileptic Ketogenic diet, which is very high fat.

For a basic overview: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-carbohydrate_diet

Good fats are good and required for life. You don't need any carbs to live, but you do need essential fatty acids and essential amino acids from protein. Source: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/how-many-carbohydrates-do-you-need.html

"Traditional Inuit diets derive, at most, 35-40% of their calories from protein, with 50-75% of calories preferably coming from fat. This high fat content provides valuable energy and prevents protein poisoning, which historically was sometimes a problem in late winter when game animals grew lean through winter starvation. Because the fats of the Inuit's wild-caught game are largely monounsaturated and rich in omega-3 fatty acids, the diet does not pose the same health risks as a typical Western high-fat diet." Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inuit_diet

Right now I've got my macros set to 10% carbs, 35% protein, 55% fat.

I find that the biggest benefit of eating this way is appetite control. Both fat and protein are highly satiating. So is fiber, so throw in some green veggies too. If you want to lose weight, you still need to eat at a caloric deficit. Each person needs to find what works for them. Some people exercise more, some people use meal-replacement shakes, some use intermittent fasting, some just use will power, and some have a wake-up health scare. Find what works for you, but Keto/Atkins/Low Carb/etc. are all good ways to break sugar/carb cravings and help control appetite if that is a particular issue for you.
  • Kathleenabbott
    Options
    Thanks Remo. Sounds like a good plan to try. Good info.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    meh.

eat right
    work hard
    repeat

Doesn't matter.

and?
  • Remo_Williams
    Options
    I should also add that strictly speaking a Keto diet is where you push your carbs low enough that your body starts using ketone bodies for fuel as opposed to glucose, so it is very possible to be low carb without being truly Keto. Some people I've discussed this with find that after practicing with this kind of diet for some time, they are able to switch between these two metabolic pathways fairly easily (without side-effect), whereas someone coming at it the first time may need 2 weeks or more eating less than 30 grams of carbs per day to switch over to being in ketosis. During this adaption period, it is normal to feel really bad (the "keto flu").

Also the reason that you do not need to eat carbs is that your body can create them from protein as needed (which they are, for brain function as an example).

I think the main focus on fats now is that many people tried doing both low carb AND low fat at the same time, and this doesn't work so well. The main thing to realize is that fat is NOT the enemy, but an essential part of the diet. For "health" eat the healthy fats rather than the bad fats. For weight loss, it's more about the calories than the source.
  • Proyecto_AN
    Options
    Works for me. I feel better and have better performance. I usually eat 5% of carbs per day (23 grams) and saturdays I consume all the carbs I want. Adaptation to nutritional ketosis is hard and going out of it is easy. We tend to confuse ketoacidosis and nutritional ketosis. Inform yourself. You can check my profile and add me if you want.
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I do keto Monday to friday works wonders for me
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    it's not supposed to be sustainable, it's carb cycling. and I think there are two different types of this "diet" one is for seizures, and one is for cutting carbs. I cut carbs, I'm not the type of person that can "eat right and exercise". I've been doing that for years, and I have had multiple doctors appointments. Turns out my body hates carbs. I don't cut right to 30g a day (Carb Nite Solution) but I have definitely dropped my bad carb intake. No white ANYTHING. No white bread, potatoes, rice, etc. Whole grain or nothing. I substitute cucumber slices for bread slices, salads instead of sandwiches, no noodles, and once a week, I get a carb nite. It's easy to follow, and you actually do feel better without consuming 400g of carbs a day. Increase your protein and vegetable intake and you'll be fine.
  • Remo_Williams
    Options
    I did CKD(Cylical Ketosis Diet). I recommend this more than a solid ketogenic diet. A solid ketogenic diet can lead to insulin resistances. Yoru body gets used to doing low carb, and when you add carbs back in eventually the body can't handle it, giving you higher levels of glucose in the blood.

Not arguing the overall points of SKD vs. CKD vs. TKD, but I think the term "insulin resistant" is probably misapplied. When I think of it, I think about the Type-2 diabetic who gets insulin resistant due to too many carbs. I have read that when you add carbs back in, your body is not as efficient at shuttling them from the blood into the cells. (It may be the same thing, but I just think there needs to be a new term for that phenomenon.)

The other thing to watch for is a change in your gut flora, as it can make processing certain foods more difficult after they have been missing for awhile. (You've starved out the carb-processing bacteria.) Some people can have digestive issues as they readjust.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options

I think the main focus on fats now is that many people tried doing both low carb AND low fat at the same time, and this doesn't work so well. The main thing to realize is that fat is NOT the enemy, but an essential part of the diet. For "health" eat the healthy fats rather than the bad fats. For weight loss, it's more about the calories than the source.

yep, eat full fats. The whole egg not just the egg white, mayo, meat, no low fat anything. Not only are the chemicals in "fat free" more terrible then the fats, but you need the full fats to sustain a low carb cycle.