Stir Fry

Options
I'm cooking a stir fry tonight and I wanna know the best way to go about it and keep it healthy.
Any tips?
Thanks.
-Dawn

Replies

• bthewes2
    Options
    Stir Fry can be healthy as long as you the oil or keep it to a minimum. Example 1 Tablespoon of Peanut Oil is only 119 calories divided by the number of portions made.

Another tip...bulk up on the veggies and cut a small portion of meet small throughout. Just beef or chicken as a seasoning rather than the meal.

Typically Chinese was more veggies than meat...somehow though we American's flipped it around.

Also a great side option is Stir Fried Cabbage...

http://www.billandalex.us/recipe.php?name=Stir Fried Cabbage
  • reggiepe
    reggiepe Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm, veggie stir fry with a teaspoon of coconut oil, about a tablespoon of stir fry sauce, over a cup of brown rice. It's do bomb!
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    best stirfry I've ever eaten: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/07/pepper-steak.html

You're welcome.
  • DawnDead
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'm gonna try and add more veggies to it and use only Oil no butter!
    My family is BIG on butter so if they want it they can add it to their own!
    Also, I only have regular rice so I may just have a tiny bit seeing as how I don't really like rice anyway.
    What about Soy sauce? How bad is that for you and what's a good amount?
  • reggiepe
    reggiepe Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    When I don't have the calories to expend I use the Shiritaki noodles in place of the rice.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Meat and veggies....yum.
  • Fit_Is_Fabulous
    Fit_Is_Fabulous Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I make stir fry in the crock pot and it's delicious! I don't add oil or butter, I only add a low sodium stir fry sauce. I load up on veggies. My last batch had yellow onion, green onion. broccoli, green pepper, red pepper, carrots, and chicken. It's super yummy and easy to make
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    using minimal oil should be easy if you're using the right cookware. this is where woks come in handy. definitely worth buying one if you make stir fry a lot. and the good news is that it doesnt have to be an expensive one either since you're going to coat it anyway
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'm gonna try and add more veggies to it and use only Oil no butter!
    My family is BIG on butter so if they want it they can add it to their own!
    Also, I only have regular rice so I may just have a tiny bit seeing as how I don't really like rice anyway.
    What about Soy sauce? How bad is that for you and what's a good amount?

Soy sauce is really high in sodium. Using the reduced sodium version definitely helps there. Either way, it's pretty low calorie.

I have a Misto with my own oil in it - I spray the pan instead of putting in a tablespoon, and then I spritz the vegetables part-way through cooking them. If I use meat, I use chicken; otherwise I use tofu.
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    best stirfry I've ever eaten: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/07/pepper-steak.html

You're welcome.

Holy crap that looks good.

Stir fry is my go-to dinner! Heat up a pan with some coconut oil, cut up some boneless, skinless chicken breast and cook fully, chop up some onion, mushroom, celery (soooo good), carrots, peppers...pretty much any veggie you like. Add a little San J stir fry sauce (they are gluten free and soooo tasty), stir fry for about 10 minutes and voila! I have to watch my carb intake so I dont add rice or noodles, but it's delicious without the starch!
  • cnurnberger
    cnurnberger Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Braggs Amino is a healthy subtitue for soy sauce