Help for a stay at home Mama!

Options
While I am so happy I get to stay home with the babes, it seems that I'm constantly surrounded by food and kids. The kids ages vary greatly, 7,4, and 10 months, so their schedules are all different. I find myself constantly around food. Since I've been journaling I at least notice what I'm putting in my mouth (huge help), but, I find that it's hard not to eat my daily calories before 2pm.

Any tips from SAHers on how to get out of the fridge?

I also think I need to reevaluate the alloted calories MFP says I can have, but that's another story. =-)

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Gum, diet soda. Plan out your meals, and your snacks and pre-log. I'm less tempted to raid the fridge at 1pm if I know I get a 300 calorie snack at 2:30pm.
  • chile_chicken
    chile_chicken Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I find that pre-planning my food for the day really helps. I do a weekly meal plan on Sundays, then each morning when I log in I add my breakfast and dinners. That gives me an idea of what I can eat for lunch and snacks. I also take 20 minutes a day for myself to exercise, as well as maybe going for a walk with the stroller if it is a nice day. Getting out of the house is a huge help too, that way I am not tempted to hang out in the kitchen.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I literally set an eating schedule for myself until I trained my brain to not want to eat all day. 8am breakfast, 10am snack if hungry, noon lunch, 3pm snack, 6pm-ish dinner.
  • bmskid
    bmskid Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others about planning and also to drink lots of water. Once you get your mind set on not eating except for when you're planned to eat, it will be easier. The first two days of sticking it out will be the hardest.
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I'm a SAHM for two kids (2 and 3) and I know exactly what you mean! You are master of schedule...you should schedule your own meals too!! I founds that when I started MFP a year ago, my kids meals changed too. They eat more regularly (at the same time), and better foods in general.
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I also think I need to reevaluate the alloted calories MFP says I can have, but that's another story. =-)

P.S. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • nicleed
    nicleed Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    And don't eat the kids leftovers to avoid "wasting" food. A friend once told me that it is as much of a waste to eat something you don't need/want, as it is to toss it in the bin. I think most of my post-children weight gain has come from eating stuff they asked for, then rejected!

But yes, I work at home around a four year old - with an eight year old at school. And it does take willpower not to indulge. But you can do it. Take your mind off it - put some music on and dance around with the kids, walk to the nearest park,play a board game, read a story - and try not to keep too many kids treats in the house. (we always seem to have biscuits and candy in the cupboard, Ugh.)
  • indigowc
    Options
    Drink lots and lots of water, and always keep healthy yet filling snacks on hand. Walnuts, pear slices, almonds, cucumber slices drenched in vinengar, etc, and so on. I find this keeps me from snacking oh high cal foods, and lots of the low cal stuff will rev up your metabo!