Having trouble keeping sugar down while eating fruit

Hi everyone

Does anyone else have this issue - I can stay within my calorie limit without too much trouble and like to keep full on fruit, but I find that this puts me well over the sugar limit some days. Any ideas? Would. Ignore this and focus on the calories??

Grateful for an advice! (Also any like minded buddies!!) I am hoping to lose a couple of stone by July

Replies

• katiefridley
    katiefridley Posts: 151 Member
    I say eat one or two servings a day of fruit, keep it within your calories, and don't worry too much about that sugar (unless you have medical reason to do so). No one got fat from eating too much fruit.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Unless you have a medical reason to worry about sugar, I wouldn't even bother tracking it.

Total cals, and fat/carb/protein is most important.
  • What kind of fruit have you been eating? There are fruits, like pineapple, that have more sugar in them. Apples on the other hand, when eaten with the peel, provide sugar and fiber. So they work together instead of rapidly converting to fat when not being used.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Unless you have a medical reason to worry about sugar, I wouldn't even bother tracking it.

Bingo. As long as you're hitting your Cals and macros, you should be fine.
  • jtra84
    jtra84 Posts: 6
    Thanks for the advice. I have found that a couple of Granny Smith apples or satsumas or a handful of blueberries help to fill me up, but all seem hi on sugar. I will focus on the calories now tho - cheers
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member

This...to stay in my macros I can only have about 3 servings of fruit per day...a few servings of vegetables, and some whole grains, but I don't really track the sugar itself. Only necessary if you have a medical condition.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Hi everyone

Does anyone else have this issue - I can stay within my calorie limit without too much trouble and like to keep full on fruit, but I find that this puts me well over the sugar limit some days. Any ideas? Would. Ignore this and focus on the calories??

Grateful for an advice! (Also any like minded buddies!!) I am hoping to lose a couple of stone by July

Eat lower sugar fruits like berries or a kiwi fruit. Moderate your serving size of others and compare like with like - here in the UK we use weight - fresh pineapple is not as sugary as many claim if you make such a fair comparison, same as carrots. In fact apples and bananas are same/ higher and are far from the most nutrient dense or antioxidant rich fruits.

Apple 10% sugar, 2% fibre, little vitamins or minerals
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1809/2

Pineapple 10% sugar, 1% fibre, great source of vitamin C, manganese, flavonoids
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/2019/2
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Thanks for the advice. I have found that a couple of Granny Smith apples or satsumas or a handful of blueberries help to fill me up, but all seem hi on sugar. I will focus on the calories now tho - cheers

Also, your body processes fructose in fruits differently than a cookie or piece of cake, a soda...or something of that nature. While it is still fructose, the fiber in fruit not only provides the satiation as you are describing, but it also slows the storage process. That is why diabetics can eat fruit in moderation, but are instructed to stay away from processed sugars.