Workout Routine Critique

Options
I began working out for the first time in my life this past April one week after I quit smoking. I was 62 then and am 63 now. Needless to say, starting out slow and easy seemed like the best approach back then and I gradually worked my way up to where I am now.

It would be a great favor if you would give me an honest and, hopefully, informed evaluation of my current routine. I showed this to the owner/manager of my gym and he was concerned that I might be pushing to hard. I don't feel that I am but perhaps your feedback will give me some fresh insight. Thanks!

Monday

HIIT Cardio (20 minutes)

Abdominal Machine 130 lbs. 3 sets of 20 reps.
Deadlift 100 lbs. 3 sets of 6 reps.
Shoulder Press (Machine) 75 lbs. 3 sets of 15 reps.
Leg Extension (Machine) 200 lbs. 3 sets of 15 reps.
Lat Pulldown 85 lbs. 3 sets of 15 reps.

Tuesday

Regular Cardio (40 minutes)

Abdominal Crunch 3 sets of 20 reps.
Leg Curl (Machine) 200 lbs. 3 sets of 15 reps.
Chest Press (Machine) 140 lbs. 3 sets of 20 reps.
Seated Calf Raise (Machine) 225 lbs. 3 sets of 20 reps.
Pectoral Fly (Machine) 135 lbs. 3 sets of 15 reps.

Wednesday
Rest

Thursday

HIIT Cardio (20 minutes)

Deadlift same as Monday
Bicycle Crunch 3 sets of 20 reps.
Seated Row (Machine) 100 lbs. 3 sets of 15 reps.
Rear Deltoid Raise (Machine) 125 lbs. 3 sets of 15 reps.
Good Mornings 50 lbs. 3 sets of 20 reps.

Friday

Regular Cardio

Seated Leg Press (Machine) 225 lbs. 3 sets of 15 reps.
Pushups 3 sets of 10 reps.
Burpees 3 sets of 8 reps.
Bicep Curl (Machine) 125 lbs. 3 sets of 10 reps.
Planks 3 sets at 60 seconds each.

Replies

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Do the weights first then the cardio. You'll be better off having more energy to do the intense work that comes from heavy lifting - it's also safer to do this when you're fresh as if you're tired, you're more likely to use bad form or make a mistake that can end up giving you an injury you don't need.

I'd also suggest trying to use more free weights and less machines unless you have a medical reason for needing to use machines.

Also, do the ab work at the end of the weights routine. You will find you are using your core strength to shift the weights about with good form.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    First of all, congratulations on working out and on quitting smoking.

What are your goals? Strength, preservation of LBM, hypertrophy (size gain)?

I would suggest that this a little too much. I would cut it down to three days a week. Regarding the routine specifically, I would look to use free weights rather than machines as much as possible and add squats. Try to do compound lifts and iso as needed, hitting each major muscle group each time. For example, bench, OHP, rows and squats and deadlifts will hit all muscle groups. Add iso work as desired. Rep ranges and iso work will really depend on your goals but your rep ranges look high as they are endurance range - unless that is what you are going for.

Also, you should put the cardio at the end of lifting.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Personally:

1) Seems excessive. Remove all the cardio/HIIT - keep just one 20 min HIIT if you are addicted to it, but do it after the weights.

2) Do a different split. You're currently doing:
    Monday - back, shoulders, legs, back
    Tuesday - legs, chest
    Thursday - back, shoulders, legs
    Friday - legs, chest biceps
    Why not:
    Monday - shoulders
    Tuesday - chest and triceps
    Thursday - back and biceps
    Friday - legs and calves
    For me, that's 10x better.

3) Don't do too much ab work, alternate them and do them at the end (I would avoid it on the HIIT day).

4) Don't spend more than 1 hour in the gym unless you are experienced and know your limits and are utilising a good isotonic drink (coconut water is my favourite).

5) Make sure your diet on very good, of course.
  • oldernotwiser
    oldernotwiser Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reponses. I do my cardio last. Sorry if I was misleading by listing it first. I am not trying to build larger muscles but would like greater strength and endurance. Are the two mutually exclusive? If so, I would lean more towards endurance rather than strength.

I know just enough to know that I don't know very much. I have been concentrating on machines because I am almost always alone when I workout. It was my impression that machines were safer if you are flying solo. What is OHP?
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    They aren't mutually exclusive, but it takes a very long time and a hell of a lot of work to get both, and to be honest very unrealistic goals. Don't worry about building huge muscles, again, this takes a long time and hard work. What you need to do it follow a program, get to a level of fitness and body composition you desire and then MAINTAIN that level. The absolute best and most effective way to do this is by weight training. No ifs and no buts.

Machines are good for weight training, especially legs (except squats of course, but leg press is a great alternative) and isometric work and key to training in my opinion.

OHP = Overhead press (eg shoulder press/military/Arnold press).

Like I said, stick with weight training in place of cardio, ramp up the intensity, keep your rest periods short (40-90 seconds) and watch the fat melt off.