Ladies who pump

Options
Hi guys,
I've been an off an on pump class member for the past 2 years and I'm thinking of increasing my weights this year. Usually for heaviest I use 3.5kg weights on each end of the barbell but I'm thinking today I'm going to increase it to 5kg weights on each end. How much do you guys lift for pump class? How much in your opinion is too light or too heavy? I weigh in at about 154lbs (though I guess this doesn't really matter :))

Thanks in advance :happy:

Replies

• Honeytips
    Honeytips Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Bumpity bump....anyone wants to chime in?
  • ingies2011
    ingies2011 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Been doing bodypump for 1 year now, in NZ we have kgs, and the bar I use is 5kg,

to that I add
    2.5 kg each side for warm-up,
    10kg each side for squat track,
    7.5 kg each side for chest,
    6 kg each side for backtrack (my fore arms always end up getting sore so I drop my weight, as the instructors here always says to increase your weight from the chest track),
    3.5 kg each side for triceps
    2.5 kg each side for biceps,
    Usually use 7.5 kg each side for the lunge track,
    and do the shoulder track with 2.5 kgs

Have definitely seen a change in the way I look since I have been going to pump. I go three times a week, very occassially lift some weights in the weight room but mainly just do pump. I also do body attack about three times a week and am running as well.

I think the weight you use should be such that at the end of the track you feel like you couldn't do any more reps. You want to get to that muscle exhaustion, and feel "the burn" in each track, to get the most benefit out of the class, and to get the most after burn. For everyone this will be a different weight, and the longer and consistent you do it you should be upping your weights to get the same benefits.
  • Honeytips
    Options
    Thanks a million for this ingies2011!! I want one day to be lifting a bit heavier and what you do sounds good. Hopefully I can build myself up to pump heavier weights by mid this year :)
    I do pump class twice a week and when I was consistent the weight literally drained off, that's why I'm trying to get back into it again. :smile:
  • lehiggins
    lehiggins Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I haven't done Pump for awhile. The holidays and scheduling issues never end. I'm in the US so we rolled with lbs. and the bar is 5 lbs.

Warm up - I add 2 7.5 lb
    Squats - 4 7.5 lb, maybe another 5 lb on each side.
    Chest - 2 7.5lb
    Back - 4 7.5 lb and 2 2.5 lb
    Tris - 2 7.5 lb on bar and 5 lbs for kickbacks, etc.
    Bis - 2 7.5 lbs
    Lunges - it all depends on how broken I am by then...Usually I don't use the bar because my knees get a little crunchy. :/
    Shoulders - 2 5 lbs

Hope this helps! I'm hoping to get back to it next week!
  • Honeytips
    Options
    Thanks for chiming in lehiggins!! I think that I really do need to vary the weights on the bar a bit more. I usually use the same that I use for warm up for everything except for the squats track when I go heavier.
  • THuffman1967
    THuffman1967 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've love Body Pump. I'm in the US, so my weights are in pounds.

Warm-up: 10 pounds
    Squats: 30 pounds
    Chest: 10 or 15 pounds (been having some shoulder issues, so going lighter)
    Triceps: 10 pounds
    Biceps: 10 pounds
    Back: 15 to 17.5 pounds (again, the shoulder issue)
    Lunges: 15 pounds
    Shoulders: 7.5 on the bar, 5 lb and 2.5 lb plates for side lifts, etc. (damn shoulder)

I've been thinking that I need to add for the leg work, but I'm also training for my first half marathon, so been doing a lot of running too.