Recommendations on brands for lifting equipment

Options
I'm thinking of investing in some basic lifting kit - probably a barbell/squat rack + weights and a bench.

1. Does this sound about right for someone who's pretty much just starting out? (I've done a couple of Jillian Michaels DVDs but they've only got me so far - I'm hoping to start the New Rules of Lifting for Women)
2. Does anybody have any recommendations of brands available in the UK. It doesn't have to be bargain basement but ideally good value in terms of being sturdy, the right size for a short lady (!), user friendly inasmuch as these things can be and relatively long lasting. I'm not bothered about what it looks like!

Grateful for any and all replies :smile: Please be nice as I'm new to this but I'm prepared to be told I'm WRONG WRONG WRONG :laugh:

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I'd start with sites like EliteFTS and Rogue fitness.
    Not sure if they have distros on your continent.
  • maryjaquiss
    maryjaquiss Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Thank you :smile: I'll have a look
  • KeepPushin414
    KeepPushin414 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have a Total Gym and I love it. I am only 5' 2" and female have had no difficulty using it at all in terms of my height. It is very customizable to your fitness level and uses your body weight. I'm sorry I don't know about international availability. I got mine from QVC which I do believe is also on in the UK. I paid about 300 USD for it and it came with the ab attachment, squat stand and another attachment you use to do pull-up type exercises. It is sturdy, portable ... and I notice results when I am consistent. Good luck with your choice.
  • maryjaquiss
    Options
    Wonderful, thank you! I knew I could count on MFPers :drinker:
  • wmagoo27
    wmagoo27 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/gym_equipment/10034_0c.html

Spend some time and search around for something that you like. Buy it in person so you can physically stand in it and make sure the height will be ok. You don't have to buy something very expensive, but don't go too cheap either. Leave yourself plenty of room to grow with added weights and various exercises. I always say, buy something nice or buy it twice.
  • maryjaquiss
    Options
    http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/gym_equipment/10034_0c.html

Spend some time and search around for something that you like. Buy it in person so you can physically stand in it and make sure the height will be ok. You don't have to buy something very expensive, but don't go too cheap either. Leave yourself plenty of room to grow with added weights and various exercises. I always say, buy something nice or buy it twice.

Fab, thanks. Those guys have a showroom near me - perfect!