Macros for Abs?

Options
Anyone have any suggestions on the best macros for gaining definition in the abs? I don't need a six pack look - I'd be good with a four! Right now I have it at 50% carbs, 30% protein and 20% fat?

Any help is appreciated!

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any suggestions on the best macros for gaining definition in the abs? I don't need a six pack look - I'd be good with a four! Right now I have it at 50% carbs, 30% protein and 20% fat?

Any help is appreciated!

Just need a caloric deficit
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as macros for abs.

Eat at a reasonable caloric deficit, get enough protein, strength train.
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty low in weight now I think. I'm 5'8, 129lbs...my BMI is 19.6...is it okay to go lower?
  • SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty low in weight now I think. I'm 5'8, 129lbs...my BMI is 19.6...is it okay to go lower?

What is your BF%?
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Options
    I'm honestly not sure. I do a half hour of cardio 6x a week and strength train 5 days week. I eat clean for the most part about 90% of the time.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Just more lifting...I think your protein macro is just right...just lift heavy, full body compound routines. That's the advise I've been getting and I'm taking it given the success of my friends.
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    You can have a lower body weight, but not actually have much muscle, especailly depending on how long you have been at a deficit and have been losing weight and at the rate in which you did so! (Meaning, you could have more body fat vs muscle.)

Body fat % is much more important for these types of goals than BMI, which I don't think is important anyway.

Plus, genetics play a large role in abs and you being able to see them. Like others have suggested, eat at a calorie deficit (slight) and if you are not doing so already, lift heavy. I like Stronglifts 5x5 or New Rules of Lifting for Women.
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Options
    Thanks guys. I appreciate the advice.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I'm honestly not sure. I do a half hour of cardio 6x a week and strength train 5 days week. I eat clean for the most part about 90% of the time.

What strength training are you doing?
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    clean diet and low body fat% are key. Has nothing to do with the breakdown of macros.

Also, eating clean "for the most part" is not always good enough to get a nice flat tummy or 6 pack. In order to achieve this goal, it takes 100%. Clean eating, plenty of high intensity cardio, good solid weight training for the entire body.

My 6 pack popped with very minimal ab work. I did abs inconsistantly twice a week, maybe 3 sets of 25 crunches.
  • jackwallace1985
    jackwallace1985 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi I am eating 40 P/40 C/20 F spilt coming to 3220 Cals

Protein: Casein, Whey, Chicken, Steak, Tuna, Salmon

Carbs: Sweet Potato, Jacket Potato, Rice, Scottish Oats

Fats: Pecan Nuts, Omega 3

Supps: Amino, CLA

I am 6ft 27 years
    87.2 Kg (192lbs)

I am trying to get a six pack but don't want to lose any muscle size. Can someone please advise as to where I angling wrong? Thanks
  • jakegiro
    jakegiro Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It's what works best for your body and how your body responds to certain diets. No size fits all when it comes to diets.

From research I have done Macros would look like Jack said 40/40/20.

Also timing of when you have your Carbs could impact on losing body fat.

Having the majority of your carbs throughout the day could hinder your fat loss, instead having the majority of your carbs after you have just trained.

You could also research carb cycling. two days of low carbs then a day of high carbs and the cycle continues.

Getting some fasted HIT training in would be ideal also protein breakfast and leave the carbs until later in the day.

• jakegiro
    Options
    Set your self a base of calories then you could always reduce your calls by 100 each week and see how your body responds
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    jakegiro wrote: »
    It's what works best for your body and how your body responds to certain diets. No size fits all when it comes to diets.

Having the majority of your carbs throughout the day could hinder your fat loss, instead having the majority of your carbs after you have just trained.

You could also research carb cycling. two days of low carbs then a day of high carbs and the cycle continues.

Getting some fasted HIT training in would be ideal also protein breakfast and leave the carbs until later in the day.

Nope. Fat loss comes from being in a calorie deficit, no matter when you eat carbs.
  • jakegiro
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

Nope. Fat loss comes from being in a calorie deficit, no matter when you eat carbs.

Did i ever mention not going into a calorie deficit?

Sorry research I have done has said timing of certain foods can impact on overall body fat.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

Sorry research I have done has said timing of certain foods can impact on overall body fat.

I'd like to see those studies. Because, unless you are an elite athlete training for a specific sport, I don't believe that is correct.
    nephv64p060r.png
  • jakegiro
    Options

I'd like to see those studies. Because, unless you are an elite athlete training for a specific sport, I don't believe that is correct.
    nephv64p060r.png

I will leave the research up to you knowledgeable bunch of sours.

A quick google of carb timing for fat loss will bring up many pages.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

nephv64p060r.png

I will leave the research up to you knowledgeable bunch of sours.

A quick google of carb timing for fat loss will bring up many pages.

You said it, you have to prove it. BTW, Google does not = peer-researched studies.

Plus, you stated research "you've done." Should be pretty easy to put up.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    bgelliott wrote: »
    clean diet and low body fat% are key. Has nothing to do with the breakdown of macros.

Also, eating clean "for the most part" is not always good enough to get a nice flat tummy or 6 pack. In order to achieve this goal, it takes 100%. Clean eating, plenty of high intensity cardio, good solid weight training for the entire body.

My 6 pack popped with very minimal ab work. I did abs inconsistantly twice a week, maybe 3 sets of 25 crunches.

Clean eating has nothing to do with it. Deficit does though.
  • jakegiro
    Options
    I post one link

"You have only posted one link"

Post two links

"those are not credible sources"

And so on....

Like I said different methods can work for different people its all about how your body responds to a diet. I was just sharing an Idea that could be worth looking into.