upper body vs lower body exercies...

Options
ali106
ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
I've been doing cardio jam for about a month now...totally love it! and also dancing for exercise....I've lost about 10 lbs and 14 inches total....mostly the inches are on my upper body...like 8....which is good but I'm thinking maybe I'm not getting enough on my lower body.....

Its still not great for running yet here but I'm thinking if I start I'll hopefully lose more on my ah "junk in the trunk" :wink: ....& what do you recommend for lower body when you can't get out and run or walk?

okay thanks for any help!
:flowerforyou:
Ali

Replies

• ali106
    Options
    I've been doing cardio jam for about a month now...totally love it! and also dancing for exercise....I've lost about 10 lbs and 14 inches total....mostly the inches are on my upper body...like 8....which is good but I'm thinking maybe I'm not getting enough on my lower body.....

Its still not great for running yet here but I'm thinking if I start I'll hopefully lose more on my ah "junk in the trunk" :wink: ....& what do you recommend for lower body when you can't get out and run or walk?

okay thanks for any help!
    :flowerforyou:
    Ali
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    well for me, running is not a option, big boobies and bad knees from a car wreck and not to mention years of running track in school, but I have noticed cycling is great for lower body and the classes at a gym are not that much. I have a exercise bike as well and I can really get going on that...

I can tell a diff in my hips when I use the bike and do med to fast walking in the neighborhood.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Your cardio jam should be enough. You can do squats and lunges to tone though.
  • ali106
    Options
    thanks guys!

My hubby was telling me that it might be my body is conditioned to running???...I ran for most of my teens and adult life....and that is why the cardio etc.. is not making as much progress as I'd like...but good idea about the lunges I need to do some and squats ...ugh...how I hate both but they do give you great tone!

and hmm cycling...I don't have a stationary bike...I have done spin classes before and loved them though....good idea too!

thanks again!
    Ali
  • chiefiron
    chiefiron Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I can tell you from someone who has at times struggled with weight both in gaining and loosing. My current and i belive proper belief is that Legs are key.

my current goal is to be a certian weight with a certian % body fat. to do that i need to increase my muscle mass by almost as much as i need to loose in fat. to acomplish that i figure half if not more of the weight i need to gain will have to be in my legs. Oh and as the largest muscles in our bodies strong muscluar legs burn more fat. double bonus.

Tim
  • nicole0177
    nicole0177 Posts: 377
    Options
    Theres a lot of lower body exercises you can do to help tone them.

you can work your:

butt- by getting on all 4's and keep into your leg bent you lift your leg till your knee is straight with your body and then go back to regular position. * 10 reps of 3 sets*

upper thighs- you just do squats i usually go against the wall and get in a positon as if i was sitting and hold it for like 10 sec. *10 reps of 2 sets*

outer thighs- lay sideways and elevate yourself by resting you elbow on a couch or chair and then keep one leg bent to balance youself and life the outer leg* 10 reps of 3 sets*each leg

inner thighs- lay on the floor and this time elevate one leg on a couch or chair and and your working the leg not elevated so you bend the leg your working the one on the ground and and lift it towards the other one*10 reps of 3 sets* each leg

calves- you can work these easy by just sitting and lifting your heals off the ground

these really work they made my legs look great!!
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    One of my indoor exercises is that I lay on the floor on my back, and raise both of my legs , then start moving them as if I was riding a bicycle. And another that I do for my tummy and lower back , is raise my legs up together and then lower them both at the same time slowly and I don't touch the floor, when I almost touch the floor I hold my legs there for a few seconds and then raise them back up together and repeat. I have lower back problems so I am hoping it will strengthen the muscles around the bones. I really need to tone up my lower stomach, shamefully it hangs over.:embarassed: If you have any easy ideas for toning that area please let me know.:smile:
  • ali106
    Options
    thanks again all!

I actually have really strong legs, studied dance for 18 yrs and advid runner.... underneath these extra pounds I know I'll always have bigger legs which will hopefully be mostly muscle...but I am going to hopefully get out to run and that will help slim down the hips and thighs a big more....

In the meanwhile...omg! I did squats and lunges last night....ugh walking like a robot in my heels at work LOL...I even walked up a flight of stairs and saw stars...lmbo...so I know those will help alot too!

thanks so much for all your advice!
    hugs!
    ali