driving

spikess
spikess Posts: 113 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Does anyone else get hungry after a long drive? it takes me an hour each way to travel to uni and i always seem to feel hungry afterwards. i've read that you burn around 35kcals for every 20 minutes you drive, but i don't know the truth in that. i looked in the mfp exercise database but they had everything other than driving.

just curious because i don't want to go over my daily kcals.

sorry if this isn't the right forum.

http://www.caloriecounter.co.uk/calories-burnt-by-exercise/
http://www.fatfreekitchen.com/weightloss/calories-burn.html

those were just a couple i was looking at.

Replies

• Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    you burn calories laying flat on your back not moving, so the more you move around the more you burn so if you're driving a lot of twists and turns, stops & starts then you're going to burn more than if it was an hour driving down a straight highway.
    I know when I drive I always want to snack, I think its boredom more than anything else. Also if you're like me and you wake up, eat and take an hour or so to get yourself out the door then maybe you really are hungry by the time you get there, how long has it been since you ate? I usually get hungry for a morning snack about 3 hours after breakfast.

Why dont you pack yourself a snack to eat when you get to school, like a banana, or some yogurt? figure about 100-150 calories. It'll probably help you concentrate on your classes better too :):)
  • elysant
    elysant Posts: 139
    I don't know about burning calories while you are driving, but I am always hungry after a long drive (it would take be about 3 hours to get back to school when I was in college and it takes about an hour to get most campsites and such). I started taking snacks when I went was going to be driving for an hour or more. The difference is that I used to take unhealthy stuff like donuts and candy, now I take things like healthy nuts, vegetables, fruits. :o) That way I don't feel like I need to eat when I get to my destination. I also figure what I take into my calorie count for the day :o)
  • spikess
    spikess Posts: 113 Member
    I've started taking snacks too, the amount i take depends on how long i'm going to be at uni. i try make them as healthy as possible and in the 100 range, so i can still have a decent dinner when i get home. I've also tried to start drinking more water too. dunno if my concentration is any better, but i feel happier and i'm certainly smiling more! lol

i'm just glad i'm not the only one who gets hungry after a long drive lol.

my husband says it's probably from all the concentrating i'm having to do, but i think that might just be him trying to be nice!
This discussion has been closed.