Strength training

Options
i would like to know why strength training doesn't earn you any more calories?

Replies

• Sally422
    Sally422 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yeah, me too! I think it is erroneous.
  • JustAmy
    JustAmy Posts: 291
    Options
    I think because there are too many variables (how heavy are weights, repetitions, etc.) but you can choose the strength training under cardio). best of luck to both of you:flowerforyou:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You can enter in strength training in the cardio section to allow for some calories
  • bgriffin73
    Options
    Weight lifting does not burn that many calories during the process, but should be done at least twice a week. If you don't lift for a week or so, you will be starting all over again.
  • Dburroughs
    Options
    thanks for all the info guys! great help.
  • betskev
    betskev Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I do not have a strength training option under cardio. I want my weight lifting days to count under exercise, but I do not want to have ti figure out how many reps I do for each exercise. I use Jari Love's Get Ripped DVD's. Any suggestions?

Thanks
  • libbrady
    Options
    Cardio burns calories while you are doing it, but strength training builds muscle and the more muscle you have the more calories you burn when you are NOT exercising. Strength training is extremely important in your exercise routine!:smile:
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I superset my weight training sessions, and I can def burn more calories supersetting and doing explosive movements in a half hour then I do on the stupid elliptical on level 16 for half an hour...i'm sweating buckets...it depends on what kind of srength training you are doing, mine counts for sure as cardio.
  • acureese
    acureese Posts: 169
    Options
    I superset my weight training sessions, and I can def burn more calories supersetting and doing explosive movements in a half hour then I do on the stupid elliptical on level 16 for half an hour...i'm sweating buckets...it depends on what kind of srength training you are doing, mine counts for sure as cardio.

I agree, I definitely burn more in my hour long superset weight lifting sessions that incorporate plyo jumps, etc than I do in a light 30 minutes jog, even though MFP doesn't say so. I guesstimate often-times, or look at other sites for ideas of how much I burn and change the numbers myself.