Why does my sister act this way?

Options
Every time my sister visits here (most recently for the holidays), I have to hear her complain how she hates it here, how this city is disgusting and how it's people are disgusting and how this place is a **** hole, but apparently since I live here too, maybe I am too? seriously, why do you bother even coming home if you're so much better than everyone else?

She's 3 years younger than me too, but don't see how that matters. We don't even live in a "poor" area, we're middle class, but she lives in NY, so maybe she just thinks she's better than us, I don't know. (Not sure why.)

On top of that, she makes racist comments that she merely considers "non-PC". Um no, It's called racism. Such as, watching tv and going, in reference to a commercial "Oh! puff Daddy is with Italian people! he can't do that, he's black!" um, what the frig .... what does it matter what color his skin is?

Or, when driving through the middle of what looked to be a "poor" neighborhood, "is this the poor section? there are a lot of hoodlums around." My dad is usually the same way, too.

I know everyone judges, and I do too, but I think there's a fine line between simply being judgmental and being racist. My sister isn't a bad or hateful person, but her comments irk me sometimes.

I am sad to say that I am ashamed to be related to these people sometimes ...

Replies

• MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh I hate those. If she does not want to be there then tell her that she does not have to come. I know she is family but sometimes you just have to be blunt. She can take her butt to Rockefeller Center or Park Avenue South since your neighborhood is not up to her standards. I am from New York City and I have never done that to any neighborhood down here.
  • likearadiowave
    likearadiowave Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh I hate those. If she does not want to be there then tell her that she does not have to come. I know she is family but sometimes you just have to be blunt. She can take her butt to Rockefeller Center or Park Avenue South since your neighborhood is not up to her standards. I am from New York City and I have never done that to any neighborhood down here.

She makes me feel bad because she's constantly saying how much she hates the people here, and it's like ... well, I live here too, so does she think the same about me?

It's insulting.

Kind of need some advice.
  • likearadiowave
    Options
    Okay. Kind of need some advice here.
  • BellaFe
    BellaFe Posts: 323
    Options
    My sister says the same thing about where I live, frankly I couldn't give a rats *kitten* what she thinks.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Have you talked to her about the fact that the way she talks offends you?
  • likearadiowave
    Options
    Have you talked to her about the fact that the way she talks offends you?

No, she's one of those overly defensive people. If i'm honest with her, she gets highly defensive and turns it on me.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

She makes me feel bad because she's constantly saying how much she hates the people here, and it's like ... well, I live here too, so does she think the same about me?

It's insulting.

Kind of need some advice.
    Have you ever actually asked her that question? Seems to me that it can be asked and I'm betting it'll stop her in her tracks. Give it a try.

Sometimes people don't realize how horribly they are behaving. It's like they don't have the filter that most of us use when interacting with others. She also probably has friends who belittle anywhere but NYC (because the whole city is just so freaking awesome ::eye roll::) so thinks it's "cool" if she does it, too. She probably doesn't realize how she sounds.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    I can't figure out how you've built a bridge between her dislike for your city and its people to her possible dislike for you. More to the story? I tend to think when people are talking like that that they mean most people, and definitely not me. Good news is that at least you're not constantly subjected to hearing it. Hope you feel better soon.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Hey, I live in Bristol too!!

Take her to New Haven (I used to live there) and she how long she lasts making those comments before someone punches her.
    I kid. (mostly lol)

See if anyone else in your family feels the same way you do and have a family meeting about how it makes you guys feel when she acts like that
  • likearadiowave
    Options
    I can't figure out how you've built a bridge between her dislike for your city and its people to her possible dislike for you. More to the story? I tend to think when people are talking like that that they mean most people, and definitely not me. Good news is that at least you're not constantly subjected to hearing it. Hope you feel better soon.

Well, it would seem obvious that since I live here, and since she thinks everyone here is "nasty" and "low class" (in her opinion) that logically that would lead me to question what she actually thinks about me ...

I would hope she doesn't mean me, but then again she shouldn't be overgeneralizing a bunch of people she doesn't know, anyway. It's her attitude that bothers me.
  • likearadiowave
    Options
    Hey, I live in Bristol too!!

Take her to New Haven (I used to live there) and she how long she lasts making those comments before someone punches her.
    I kid. (mostly lol)

See if anyone else in your family feels the same way you do and have a family meeting about how it makes you guys feel when she acts like that

Oh, we were in new haven. In the center of the city where we saw the tree for christmas. It was near there when she asked my dad if "this was the poor section of town" because there were a lot of "hoodlums" (her words) around.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Stop inviting her over. Sounds like she's obnoxious to be around.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Okay. Kind of need some advice here.
    OK, ignore her and rise above that fray.
    Be better and just allow your sister to rant, then be bigger and take no offense.
    Those who can do this are never rattled by such people.
    You can't change others, but you can change you.
    So, change..:smokin:
  • likearadiowave
    Options

We don't invite her ... she decides to come over and spend holidays here .... lol.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options

This. Then if she wonders why, tell her the truth, that you don't like the comments she makes about your home, and they make her not welcome there anymore. If she cares, she'll stop. If she doesn't, you'll be well shot of her.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

We don't invite her ... she decides to come over and spend holidays here .... lol.

Tell her to leave or not to show up then. I'm not sure what else you can do really. It sounds like confronting her will do no good, so standing up to her is your only real option.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Frankly..tell her to get stuffed. She's acting like someone you don't need in your life, sister or no. Would you put up with that from a stranger?
  • one15ts
    one15ts Posts: 91
    Options
    i think it's sad if that's the only thing she talks about around family. doesn't she have anything else going on in her life?
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Well, let's see- you can't confront her, you don't invite her but she comes anyway, so my advice is to ignore it.
  • mikey1976
    mikey1976 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    you said your dads the same way. thats were she learned it. i catch my mom when she start going that way and correct her. she not racist she was just brought up differently but still no excuse for rudness