Weight training for a beginner - HELP

Options
2»

Replies

• NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Go to You Tube and look up the "Fitness Blender" series. Just type the name in. They have many many many strength videos for women using light weights, very light weights, no weights.
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Please, please check with your doctor about what type of exercise is appropriate for you. Specifically ask about using weights or resistive machines. A referral to a physical therapist would also be helpful, so that he/she can show you how to train without further injuring your back. The advice you get here is only general, and could do more harm than good.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    The same authors of NROL for Women also wrote NROL for Life. NROL for Life has a more flexible program to take into account limitations (such as injury). I would pick that one up instead due to your circumstances. See if you can skim through it at the bookstore or at the library to see what it says about back injuries.

http://www.amazon.com/New-Rules-Lifting-Life-Muscle-Building/dp/1583334610

Quotes from reviews:

"The New Rules of Lifting for Life is targeted to the middle aged crowd, and those that may have a disability or weakness that prevents them from following the original program."

"I believe that The New Rules of Lifting for Life is well-developed and provides important information for adapting their original program to be less strenuous while achieving success for bodies that may not be ready for an intense lifting program involving squats and dead lifts. If you have an injury it is especially useful."

" I used to frequently develop foot and leg injuries from running (before I switched over to barefoot running) and instead of continuing to work out, I would just quit. There are several alternative methods in this book that would now allow me to continue a strengthening program even while injured."

"Also, the safety recommendations are extremely useful if you have any injuries."

Edited to Add: Also, please review any program with a doctor/physical therapist/trainer to assure that you can do it without injury. Everyone should be careful when lifting, but pre-existing issues should be treated extra cautiously. :)<3 Good luck! :D
  • BellaFe
    BellaFe Posts: 323
    Options
    You all are kind of attacking me lol... But I guess I didn't make myself very clear, I wasn't trying to be a chauvinist here and say women can't lift, my point is you can use your body and its weight in order to get tone. That's what I do... Geez.

What is being "attacked" is the statement "weightlifting for women is a totally different game" It is not. You are incorrect. That is not an opinion it is just wrong.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    It is a different game for women as far as weightlifting goes. You should skip the weights and just use your body as your primary tool. Pushups, shoulder emphasis pushups, crunches, squats, sit ups, and lunges would get you toned easily if you did a set of each for say 20 repetitions, 3 sets of each 3 days a week.
    What? Where on earth did you hear this? I lift heavy weights using the same lifting programs men use, as do a lot of my friends.

Basically my advice if you have a back injury is to educate yourself on proper form. "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe is an excellent resource on lifting form. I learned SO much from this book. I also youtubed "Rippetoe form" and learned a ton.

Basic starting programs for lifting are:
    New Rules of Lifting for Women
    Starting Strength
    Stronglifts
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    No one is attacking. Just correcting misinformed opinions.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    It is a different game for women as far as weightlifting goes. You should skip the weights and just use your body as your primary tool. Pushups, shoulder emphasis pushups, crunches, squats, sit ups, and lunges would get you toned easily if you did a set of each for say 20 repetitions, 3 sets of each 3 days a week.

Ah yes, I see the drugs are finally working and making you . . . completely deluded! Why would you ever give any woman this advice? FFS, weight lifting for men and women isn't any different, what is different is their hormal balances rendering different results for the same type of work. Go get edumacated in such things before you start giving this sort of craptastic advice.