I rode my bike

Options
That sounds so silly to say as if it is a big deal. To me, it is.

To give you an idea, I wrote this blog post back in August:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/downsizinghoss/view/the-bike-ride-362120

When I got up to over 500 pounds, I did nothing but sit. During that time I lost any and all flexibility that I used to have.

I bought my bike almost 2 years ago. When I went to ride it, it hurt my hips, my knees, and my pride. My gut got in the way. I couldn't lift my legs high enough to make a full revolution with the pedals. It just flat out hurt.

My 6 year old could ride a bike, but I looked like a circus bear in training.

As of last summer, I started pulling the bike out about every 2 weeks and just seeing if I could push off and make a full revolution of the pedals. It slowly got better. I was stretching more every week, but it just didn't seem to be enough.

Well, today was the tipping point. I usually go to the gym and do big burns lifting and on the elliptical machine, but I wanted to see if I could start the New Year off by mixing things up. I tried it in the back yard and made 3-4 full revolutions. I got a lump in my throat and loaded up the bike and drove to an empty soccer complex where no one could see me.

I doubt I covered more than a half a mile in short bursts around an isolated parking lot. The only thing that still hurts is my right knee. But whenever it tightened up I just stood in the pedals like I was back on my BMX bike when I was a kid.

It sounds silly to want to shout from the rooftops that I rode a bicycle, at 42 years old. But you know what? Screw it.

I RODE MY DAMN BIKE!

edit:fixed the link

Replies

• Kmsnomaha
    Kmsnomaha Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! Congratulations. One pedal stroke at a time........:drinker:
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Ohhhhhh Duuuuuude I am soo proud of you!! Great job, and I rarely use the adjective "great" That is saved for true accomplishments... Keep It goin :)
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Way to Go! You have made such great progress. I am so proud of you.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    you are a huge inspiration. keep up the good work man, you are what dreams are made of with willpower and determination, go get em!!!!!
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Awesome!! You have every right to be happy and proud!!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Yes. I am proud of you, too. I like the way you approach challenges.
  • plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    awesome!!! I know how you feel, I got one in the summer after not riding one for 20 years because I was too embarased to ride one lol. and now queen is blasting in my head, "I like to ride my bicycle, I like to ride my bike" lol
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    That is absolutely AMAZING!!! I am so proud of you!!!! You have been and still are an inspiration to so many of us on here. Who's the man? You're the man!!!
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I am so very proud of you.
  • gtchs
    gtchs Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Way to go Hoss!
  • MacInCali
    MacInCali Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    DAMN STRAIGHT YOU DID!!!! :drinker:

I'm so friggin proud of you hun, xoxo. *tackles* :heart:
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Wow! That's really great!
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    That's a cool way to start off your year.
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    So So SO very proud of you. Smiling so big for you right now. :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    Nice work man:drinker:
  • DAM_Fine
    DAM_Fine Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I love this post and I love you. You amaze and delight me every single damn day.
  • Mymy101
    Mymy101 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on a job well done. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful moment with us. Keep up the great work.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Fun times! That's one for the calendar!
  • JosieJo2000
    JosieJo2000 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    It's an awesome feeling, isn't it??

Way to go, next thing you'll be in the Tour de France....!
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Great job Hoss!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!