Don't know if I went into Starvation Mode! HELP!!!

2»

Replies

• dnscal123
    dnscal123 Posts: 46 Member
    Make sure you take care of yourself properly and keep us informed of how you are doing
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    So over summer I experienced the most traumatic thing in my life. Already going through a eating disorder 6 months prior to when this happened, I managed to gain 25 pounds in less than 2 weeks. So here's how those two weeks went:

It was my graduation week, I was bringing up grades studying for finals SUPER stressful!! I was staying up all night drinking loads of caffeine and also taking blood thinners and niacin. I did a load of damage. I was really healthy, size 0, musclar, and happy with eating 1200 to 1400 calories a day, But on top of that I wanted to get even more ripped than I already was. So I ran and underage. The next day my feet were both swollen, like MASSIVE swollen. So I rested and still didn't eat. Then the swelling moved to my calfs, inter thighs, and back. I noticed every time I drank water I would swell, so I really didn't want to swell on my graduation night so I went without drinking my normal amount of water and I was perfect on my graduation day (thank god). I then had a relaxing weekend at a resort and all I ate we're salads. I was fine but then when I worked out I swelled the last day. When I went back home I never recovered. I noticed sugars were making me swell, even from fruit, water made me swell. Everything. So I basically barley ate and worked out in hopes it would disappear but it didn't. It only got worse. I managed to go from a healthy 119 to 143 in a couple of weeks. I even did a whole week of just juicing and I didn't lose anything!! So frustrating.

I've been going through crazy diets since and I now am just realizing what if I went into starvation mode... It's now January and I hate myself. I have the most abnormal thighs my face is even swollen and I don't even know what's wrong!!! I'm on antibiotics because the doctor thought I had an infection but it's been more than 6 weeks and I haven't seen much improvements only when I decided to cut out sugars again. I just am starting to up my calories and I notice I have massive bloating in my stomach!!! I am in a mess and I need help. Any advice would be helpful!!

Also my blood sugar levels are really messed up. I test it and it got to 200 after eating an apple and then I get red tingly sensations/swelling almost immediately after. Is it possible i have messed up my body that bad by putting myself into starvation mode for so long??

I dk how you could have gained 25lbs in 2 weeks but I STRONGLY suggest seeing a doctor ASAP. You could be in metabolic syndrome and I would have your thyroid and a glucose tolerance test done. You're playing Russian roulette with your health and metabolism and endocrine system. I wouldn't be on MFP forums asking for advice, but a physician. And I would also look into counseling or a 12 step program for your eating disorder. It's still there and will always be there, like an addiction.
  • nicleed
    nicleed Posts: 247 Member
    dieters edema?More severe types of water retention are a common characteristic of malnutrition and life-threatening starvation; it can be so extreme that people will appear to lose no weight at all, as greater amounts of fluids accumulate under the skin. Jewish doctors often observed this phenomenon in the Warsaw ghettos during World War 2. "

http://www.leangains.com/2010/01/how-to-deal-with-water-retention-part.html

But yes, please see your doctor