Anybody Use Wal-Mart Protein Powder?

Options
2»

Replies

• trchristy
    trchristy Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    i use rite aids six star protien powder triple choclate. 170 cals per scoop more with milk. 11grams of carbs 16 grams of protien. u gotta diveide by number of scoops per serving. it goes in coffee for breakfast, milk for lunch, and oatmeal for dinner.

add me

I have used the 6 star from rite aid as well but I had the vanilla it was lower in sugar and carbs. It was good with almond milk or unsweetened coconut milk. I like it I would like to try to the chocolate next time.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    i use rite aids six star protien powder triple choclate. 170 cals per scoop more with milk. 11grams of carbs 16 grams of protien. u gotta diveide by number of scoops per serving. it goes in coffee for breakfast, milk for lunch, and oatmeal for dinner.

add me

I use this brand as well but the one I get is 130 calories per scoop and 30 grams of protein. I blend it with 12 oz of water, and crushed ice, one tablespoon of peanut butter, two tablespoons of PB2 and a 1/2 banana and it is delicious and keeps me full for 4 hours. I use it when I'm rushed for time. It may not be the greatest kind but it does the trick.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Used to, it wasn't all that bad just didn't mix well and tasted like crap (compared to what I'm using now).

Edit: Somewhat relevant, some guy tested how much protein is actually in a lot of the top selling protein brands and made a spreadsheet... you'd be surprised at some of the results. Wal-mart brand protein is on there.

Link:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0Ag9uT-E4EIL7dFZPZnR0WVZybGtFWnRKNzdKNm9XOVE&toomany=true#gid=0
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for a straight source of protein that isn't a $50 whey protein isolate - go with egg whites instead!

^^^

Complete proteins: Meat, Poultry, Fish, Eggs, Dairy

Stop wasting your money on protein supplements. The industry would have you believe that you need to supplement with powders. Your diet should be adequate to supply your protein. Nobody needs more than 1g per lb of LBM.

Some people don't get enough protein from their daily diets. I use protein powder for this reason. I don't eat meat, fish, poultry, much dairy or eggs so I have to get it from somewhere.

To the OP, I LOVE the Muscle Maxx Vanilla from Walmart (I'm in Canada so I"m not sure if they have it wherever you are). It tastes great when mixed with anything! Amazing when blended into coffee!
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Go to GNC. They have great store brands that have really low carb:protein ratio's. Plus, you can get whey and soy protein in multiple flavores. When they go on sale, they tend to go for $14.99 a container.

As for walmart, the EAS Carbcontrol Advantedge Shakes are pretty decent.
  • Nauti_Buoy
    Options
    I want a body by Wal-Mart shirt for real!!
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    We buy Six Star from Wal Mart and it does just fine! I don't like Body Fortress, I think it's too "crunchy"
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for a straight source of protein that isn't a $50 whey protein isolate - go with egg whites instead!

^^^

Complete proteins: Meat, Poultry, Fish, Eggs, Dairy

Stop wasting your money on protein supplements. The industry would have you believe that you need to supplement with powders. Your diet should be adequate to supply your protein. Nobody needs more than 1g per lb of LBM.

To get my 1g per lb of LBM which aprx 100 I use the protein powder and it is WAY cheaper than meat per gram.
  • Dymatized
    Options
    The major problem with cheap protein powders is that they usually do not contain all of the required amino acids for muscle building. The $50 dollar powders are usually more robust and honestly they taste a whole lot better too. Muscle milk isn't great either...I use Dymatize elite (it's whey protein isolate) and although it usually runs at $44 for a 5 gallon bucket - it tastes great in shakes, it's super filling, gives me all the amino acids I need for muscle growth while I lose weight, and lasts me a LONG time.

My kind of girl! LOL. I used Dymatize Elite also and love it! The only other brand I would use is Optimum Nutrition's Whey Protein Isolate. Very similar to Dymatize's Elite but costs more like $53 at Vitamin Shoppe. You can't go wrong with either one but I'd stay away from Walmart's protein powders. There's a reason why it costs cheap. Either cheaper ingredients or less protein per serving. If you're on a budget try Vitamin Shoppe's BodyTech Whey. It's tastes good and it's $39 for 5 gallons but it only has 17 grams of protein per serving whereas Dymatize is 23 grams and Opt Nutrition is 24 grams.
  • missrenahope
    missrenahope Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks everyone. You guys know your stuff and are a lot more reliable than a Google search.

To answer one of the questions, I'm not really using it to hit my protein goals alone but to get an added boost to help me with my workouts and somewhat control my hunger. I hope that makes sense, haha. I guess it all comes down to controlling my caloric intake as well.

Really though thank you everyone. I really appreciate your info and opinions, and that spreadsheet was very interesting too.
  • missrenahope
    missrenahope Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I want a body by Wal-Mart shirt for real!!

Haha!! I agree.
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I only use protein powder on days i dont' make my protein goal, that being said, I use Gold Standard Whey protein and get it online for about 20 bucks.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    It's what I have right now, the body fortress chocolate. I think it's absolutely disgusting. I also don't like how much carbs is in it.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Good thread...made me dig out the good ol Body Fortress Choclate out of the cupboard, mix it with some dreyers coffee ice cream, mix and enjoy....AHHH
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I can't have whey because of the milk protein, casein - it does bad things to my digestive tract. I used to think I was lactose intolerant, but turns out I'm not. So if I have protein powder I have to have soy isolate - it's low carb, low fat too. I mostly just get my proteins from food sources. I have heard that the cheaper whey proteins are nasty tasting, less nutritious and can have a lot of sugar in them. Do they have a smaller size you could sample in case it's gross? If you are only using a little to supplement it might be worth the extra cost to get the good stuff...