Can losing weight make you sick?

Options
I have been fat and unhappy for the majority of my adult life, finally i managed to do something about it. Over the past 6 months i have lost 70 lbs.! I was feeling on top of the world. Then about 2 months ago, i started with chest/abdominal pains. Excruciating pains. Finally this week i can stand it no longer, and went to the Dr, who ordered blood tests and an ultrasound to check my gallbladder/liver/pancreas.
Today I have the results and it seems my liver is not functioning properly. I have a GPT/ALT of 219 GOT/AST of 85 (normal readings should be between 10 - 32). Glucose level of 121. Iam not eating anything!!!! how can my glucose be high??? Whats wrong with my liver? Can weight loss cause problems with your liver??
I feel completely deflated. I have finally lost weight, on my way to being 'thin' for the first time in my life...... now Ive got issues with my liver.
UPSET and don't really know whats next for me?

Replies

• now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    It's best you speak with your doctor about your concerns. It could be related to your weight loss or tons of other things.

I'm not sure what you mean by "I'm not eating anything!!!!"
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Probably only coincidence. But you still may want to go through your diet with your doc.... coz obviously you didn't.. you're asking us instead of your doc!! lol
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    How low cal did you do? Under 1,200 per day plus exercsie?
  • panamasammii
    panamasammii Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yes, I should really speak with my Doctor, and I have an appointment tomorrow to see him and also to have the Ultrasound. I am just freaking out and I thought I would ask on MFP. Waiting has never been my strong suit!

What I meant by "Im not eating anything" is compared to before when i ate all the crap I liked, now I am eating healthily I have high blood glucose levels.
  • Dan4495
    Dan4495 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    You have every reason to be upset and concerned. Did you tell the doc about your weight loss, and any changes to your diet? This may be important info for treatment. Best of luck to you. My only advice is to share this with your doctor.
  • panamasammii
    Options
    I am 1200 plus moderate exercise. Under the orders of my Endo. I have Hypothyroidism
  • fantomette
    fantomette Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    ...are your taking med for your hypothyroïdism?
    They could be responsible.

Did you see a dietitian?
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • deedeeFP
    Options
    WONDERFUL WEIGHT LOSS! I would think tha weight loss would be great for the liver and alll organ but maybe rapid weight loss may be the reason. . Definetly something to discuss with the doctor. Good Luck and let us know how everything goes.
  • panamasammii
    Options
    I am taking 175mg of Levothyroxine daily. I havent seen a dietitian
  • Melo1966
    Options
    I am 1200 plus moderate exercise. Under the orders of my Endo. I have Hypothyroidism

Netting below 1,000 for six months can make you sick and you should have been tested periodocally.
  • panamasammii
    Options

Netting below 1,000 for six months can make you sick and you should have been tested periodocally.

I never ate less than 1000 calories.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    The liver can release glucose into your blood stream. This usually functions to prevent hypoglycemia. If your liver isn't functioning properly it seems logical it could affect your glucose. Now that's a total guess of course. But the weight loss shouldn't have affected your liver. Were you taking any new supplements or anything that may be processed through the liver?
  • tsdaughe
    Options
    I think that it is just coincidence with your weight loss. In my opinion, it would probably be more related to your hypothyroidism and possibly something related that was never caught before now. Thyroid problems and other conditions often go hand in hand. Or maybe with all the weight loss, your thyroid problem has changed and you need to have a new evaluation, change in medications. I know after I lost alot of weight and was extremely active that is when I got sick with most likely an auto immune disorder. It was just coincidental the timing is all. I would make a list of all your questions and concerns for when you see the doctor so you do not forget anything.
  • Melo1966
    Options

I never ate less than 1000 calories.

1,200 food minus 500 exercise equal 700 net.
    If you were losing more than 2 pounds a week for six months then you were under eating which can cause health problems on top of the one you already had. But hopefully all will workout once you get the bloodwork done up get new meds and you eat more.
  • tsdaughe
    Options
    And was the glucose level a fasting level? Cause 121 is actually not high my most standards. I worked in an E.R. for many years and that was pretty standard... unless that was your fasting number. Or maybe you are diabetic and that is why your other numbers are off. Don't panic too much. You have already gotten much healthier and will handle whatever comes your way.
  • panamasammii
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments. I appreciate MFP so much!! You guys are awesome.

I have a list of things I need to talk to my Dr about tomorrow!

Bless you all xx
  • Kendall_Lauren
    Kendall_Lauren Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    When I lost weight too quickly I ended up with gallstones and had to have emergency surgery and had it removed, gallbladder is directly related to the liver so I would think it totally probable that your liver could be impacted by a great about of weight loss. I hope they get you feeling better soon!
  • kimberliiw
    kimberliiw Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Those are fairly high ALT and AST results. Could possibly be from medication. Besides your hypothyroid medication are you taking anything over the counter? Acetaminophen could easily raise your liver enzymes that much.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Nothing like that, but I have noticed that I often get sick when I start a new diet and exercise routine. Then I come down with a cold!
    Gah!