Husband: biggest obstacle

Options
2»

Replies

• meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Ahem: Honey, I love you and I know you don't like (________) but these are things I need to feel my best. When I make meals they will be made within (______) constraints most of the time. I'd really like to be able to share the new things I try with you, but if you aren't interested, I understand. But you will have to make your own meals in these cases.

Is letting your man fend for his own food that big a deal? BF and I eat separate dinner all the time. I plan out my food early on in the week and he steals elements (chicken breast, extra pasta) etc. that he wants for his own meals.
  • frida001
    frida001 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    My husband was the same way when we first married. He thought the ethnic (but healthy) food I grew up with looked weird. But being exposed to it has him now loving it. Try taking him to a Mediterranean restaurant to try some kebabs and vegetarian dishes. He may ask you to try and make some at home. I find my grocery bill lower because I'm not preparing processed foods. Now my kids love it!
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I would be questioning my relationship. No matter who cooks in our household the other eats it or fixes themselves something or not. If a partner (husband) is not supportive on a health issue what else is he selfish about. HEALTH is important. It is not like your asking him to help you give up pedicures. This sounds harsh but life is to short to spend it with someone that is so unsupportive in such an important issue.

The word sabotage comes to mind. I am assumiing he has no health issues he is addressing?

Shirley in Oregon
  • goldied01
    goldied01 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Ahhhh yes, meat and potatoes. That's my husband of 35 years! :wink: I'm afraid I let him get what he wanted and I packed on the pounds thru the years.
    But now that he needs to lose the weight,as well, he is more inclined to eat what I like. I can't watch or make him change what he eats at work or alone, but he eats healthier when we are together.
  • JenCM
    JenCM Posts: 195
    Options
    I understand this completely. It's not just my hubby, but my in laws as well. Don't get me wrong, I know that 100% of what goes in my mouth, IS my doing at the end of the day. But it is harder because of hubby's eating habits and the fact we don't have a lot of money to begin with. My hubby would eat out every other day if possible. It runs in his family. I can count on both hands the number of times we've sat down and eaten a homemade meal (not counting holidays) in 5 years of marriage. This attitude falls over into our house because no matter what I'm trying to cook, he feels like grabbing a burger etc is "Fast and done" and honestly, I know he craves that food. And big portions are a big thing in the family too. So it all adds to the struggle.
    I just do my best, which isn't the greatest at times. However I'm hoping things are looking up because hubby has recently realized how much weight HE has gained and it's upset him and he'd like to start eating better with me.