So tired, sad, defeated..lost..

So it has been over a month since I have...

A. Blogged

B. Logged honestly

C. Exercised regularily

D. Weighed in

...and I feel like ****! I feel lost from when I began. I honestly feel as though I have given up in my heart. I have indulged and over-indulged. I know I have gained. I am sad with where I am mentally at. I do NOT want what once was. Do I feel as though I should chalk it up to "The Holiday's". Is that fair? I know I should move forward. I know. And one of the funny things is that before Christmas, what I wanted, or asked for, was items that I could work out at home with...and I got them. I am mentally tired. I am physically put out with myself. I want the vigor that I felt when I started. How in the world do I get that back?

Replies

• quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    You get it back by not waiting for it come back.

Motivation is temporary. It comes and goes. As a friend of mine says, patience and endurance wins the rest. This isn't starting over. This isn't a relapse. This is just you getting up today and making better choices. Just like that. No shame. No beating yourself. . Motivation will return.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,319 Member
    One of my favorites:

""Move and your heart will follow"

....a variation on "Fake it till you make it."
  • I agree with previous poster. It's so hard when you lose motivation but pick a day and start again. Just start. It doesn't have to be a lot. Just take a walk and drink water. Look at some success stories. Jump back on that horse, girl!

I gave up a few months ago, but I'm jumping back in again. Want another friend?
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    You get it back by not waiting for it come back.

Motivation is temporary. It comes and goes. As a friend of mine says, patience and endurance wins the rest. This isn't starting over. This isn't a relapse. This is just you getting up today and making better choices. Just like that. No shame. No beating yourself. . Motivation will return.

THIS! If I would have had this attitude earlier in life, I would have been healthier YEARS ago.
  • JustAGirlyGeek
    JustAGirlyGeek Posts: 149 Member
    Been down that road before. Feel free to add for additional support.
  • fizzletto
    fizzletto Posts: 252 Member
    Never get fed up or give up just because your goal is going to take a lot of time to achieve.... The time is going to pass either way.
  • One day at a time, one foot in front of the other. Dont wait til it feels right, because that day might never come. You got the equipment, so plan your workout for tomorrow, just like we do meals, the clothes we are going to buy, and when we are going shopping. You got this
  • My motto is "every day is a chance to start over"! Prepare yourself because the first time you work out again is going to suck...badly and it will disgust you how much stamina you have lost! The good news is after you will feel incredible and strong...so you just have to hold on for the after and remind yourself that the during sucks but the after is your reward!!! Don't give up on yourself...YOU ARE WORTH your effort!!!
    Best wishes!!!
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Review the reasons why you joined in the first place....have those reasons changed? If not, then use them once again to motivate yourself. Add me for encouragement! xo
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    The time is going to pass either way.

I like this. Very true - and reminds me that I might as well be doing some useful with that time, since it's going by anyways. Thank you for writing this!
  • Sorova
    Sorova Posts: 101 Member
    This happens to almost everyone at some point. The first step to recovering from a derailment is wanting to get back on track.

The next step is doing something about it. Anything - even if it's just a walk around the block, or a ceremonial purge of the tempting crap food in your fridge, writing a journal entry about why you went off track and what you want to fix, or making a kickass new workout playlist. Do something concrete - anything will work. Doing something positive will give you an emotional boost and a bit of confidence and help get that momentum back.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    It doesn't matter if you just chalk it up to just "the holidays." They're over.

What are you gonna do about it TODAY? Go, Girl, Go!
  • daniellebfit
    daniellebfit Posts: 91 Member
    One minute at a time --- the hardest step is the first one. From one who has taken a too many first steps to count --- I'm on step 3 I think.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    If it's important for you to be healthy....put on your big girl panties and do it. If you don't care about your health....delete your MFP account and do nothing.

Sounds harsh, but the only person who can make the change and relight the fire is you!

Good luck!
  • Clemsonlkg
    Clemsonlkg Posts: 66 Member
    Take a deep breath, forgive yourself and move on. Every day is a new chance to make a good decision. Accept that you cannot change the past, and the future doesn't begin until tomorrow. So focus on today. Right now. You can do this!
  • SailerSiren13
    SailerSiren13 Posts: 51 Member
    I felt that way at the end of July/beginning of Aug. that i quit everything now 4 months and 20 lbs. heavier. I could kick myself for quitting. I have not gotten depressed and i have not beat myself up over it. It is what it is and i owned it and now i'm back to having to do what i have to do to get back to a happy place. If you can make peace with yourself it will come back to you. If you need more support feel free to add me i'm a no judgment zone person.:flowerforyou:
  • WickedPixie1
    WickedPixie1 Posts: 111 Member
    Yep, December was crappy for me, but starting again even though I don't want to.
    I know once I start seeing results again, I'll start feeling better and motivated.
    Chalk it up to holiday indulgences.
    New year, set some new goals for yourself, new targets to reach and you will feel a bit better about it!!
    I created a spreadsheet for myself for the next 6 months (b'day and holiday time), weigh in every other Sunday with a minimum target for weight loss (about 24lbs...anything else is a bonus!), monthly measurements at the end of each month just for progress checks. I'm also going to crack down on my workouts...cardio is no problem, I can do that from home, but weights I go to the gym for, so I need to focus more on that this year.
    Never give up...just drag your *kitten* to the treadmill and walk!!!

If you want to, add me!
  • carlynn13
    carlynn13 Posts: 281
    You are not alone, many of us can relate. Just take it one day at a time, take baby steps if you need to. You can do this :)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    “If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude. Don’t complain.” ~Maya Angelou

“He is able who thinks he is able. ~ Buddha

And my newest and one of my favorite quotes comes from someone here :D

"Don't worry about yesterday. You've got the knowledge to go forward and that's all that counts" - MFPer DavPul
  • rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    When you don't feel motivated, do it anyway. You'll be happy you did.