Sweeteners and Eating Clean?

Options
I have the non-research-based urge to start eating clean and limiting my processed foods. A big problem for me is that I like certain things like oatmeal and tea sweetened. I use a variety of the artificial stuff now, and am not above using real sugar if there's nothing else available. I don't really want to add a lot of calories to my daily intake, but I also don't want to drink plain tea or eat my oatmeal plain.

If you eat "clean," whatever your definition might be, what kind of sweetener do you use?

Replies

• BNoullet
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, i need a little sweetener in some things. i've started using Stevia, which is all natural, and works well. At first i thought it tasted a little different so i used Truvia (part stevia/part sugar) for awhile and then when to straight stevia. As far as I know there are no side affects or anything to watch out for. My sister has used it for years.
  • florymonde
    florymonde Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Have you tried stevia? As it's a natural product, it's generally regarded more positively than artificial sweeteners. (Recognizing that natural does not equal good-for-you.) I find that it doesn't have the initial sweetness that I'm used to with real sugar, but I like it paired with other things that seem sweet, like mint or licorice herb teas, or with milk products.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    In tea or coffee I use real sugar. In oatmeal, I use maple syrup, brown sugar or boiled apple cider (which is cider boiled down to a syrup). I find artificial sweeteners to be truly awful tasting and that includes Stevia, Truvia, etc. My philosophy is if one uses such an abundance of added sugar that they need to find a zero calorie substitute, chances are they should be looking to reduce the quantity of sugar they are ingesting. Sugar is 15 calories per teaspoon - not exactly a calorie bomb.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    I generally add blueberries and full fat yogurt to oatmeal among other things, but you can go low or no fat if your trying to save calories. As far as sweeteners go, I can't do the artificial, they taste like crap and 1 tsp or table sugar is only 16 calories, so I would do that and at least enjoy the tea. There's honey if you feel sugar is not politically correct for you.....I personally don't eat much if any added sugars.
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I started eliminated processed foods and sugar--focusing on white flour and sugar--about 8 years ago. Artificial sugar was the last thing to go (Equal/splenda specifically) until I did a Whole30 challenge. I only ever used it in my coffee and then once I was done with the challenge and had my first cup of coffee with artificial sugar, I literally gagged. I think if you gradually eliminate it, you will find it sickeningly sweet one day.

That being said, I definitely don't think it's awful to have it every once in awhile.
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I don't really want to add a lot of calories to my daily intake, but I also don't want to drink plain tea or eat my oatmeal plain.

same. honey is a good one but i use splenda more often than not because i just can't bear the useless calories; plus i'm trying to limit my sugar intake because i honestly just eat way too much.
  • agulamali
    agulamali Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Stevia all the way! I love it and I've found one packet is actually just as sweet as about two packets of zero calorie artificial sweeteners. For all you coffee drinkers, try Stevia and add ground cinnamon... it tastes great and it's way better for you than those artificial sugars and creamers.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

I think I will try a combination of Stevia and real sugar or honey when necessary. I do need to cut down and I agree that if I get used to doing with less I would probably be better off.
  • Chinadorian
    Chinadorian Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    stevia. truvia is ok. dont use splenda.
    if you are baking, try real maple syrup or dates.
  • wrkout2bfit
    wrkout2bfit Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I use agave in my oatmeal, and stevia in my coffee :drinker:
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Sweeten oatmeal with fresh and dried fruits, hot drinks with stevia or xylitol. I don't have hot drinks, I don't enjoy them unadulterated which made me wonder why I want to bother drinking them.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    what neanderthin said, if I want sweet I eat real sugar.
  • atamrowski
    atamrowski Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I am a Splenda girl or just straight up sugar. I am not a sweets person so I really don't consume much sugar...at least I don't think? GAH! I better check my diary. What is the normal range for daily sugar?
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Although most protein powders have artificial sweeteners, I don't mind small amounts to spruce up some oatmeal. 80g of oats, a half scoop of vanilla whey and some cinnamon tastes great to me.

Otherwise I tend not to use artificial sweetener. I'd rather have the real thing on the rare occasion or maybe adding some fruit to certain things.

Try going without for a while and your taste buds may just adapt.
  • nana6799
    nana6799 Posts: 262
    Options
    I use only Stevia and for baking I use NuNaturals More Fiber Stevia Baking Blend, instead of sugar. It is great! I buy it at Fred Meyers (Koger) in the natural foods area of the store.
  • lveh8lve
    lveh8lve Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I did a project in a Sweet n Low plant. NEVER AGAIN WILL I USE THE STUFF!!! The plant was spotless, but the stuff was everywhere and I inhaled it. Took about a week to get that taste out of my mouth. YUCK!

I use Stevia (I tried truvia and stevia in the raw, BLAH) but the liquid kind from the health food store. I will also use Agave, Maple Syrup (100% Pure), and Honey. Also fruit is a great sweetener in and of itself.

I used to put 3 sugar packets in a cup of coffee, I've gotten myself over the years now down to just FF half and half. So after awhile you may find that you don't need sweeteners. An American diet really has alot of sugar in it. it's pretty crazy how hard it is to avoid it.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    If you want to eat clean, then I'm sorry you can't use artificial sweeteners or even table sugar, as they are processed/manufactured foods.

If you mere want to live a healthy life, then you can eat either.
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Great advice
  • seaKind
    seaKind Posts: 136
    Options
    anything - ANYTHING- is better than the fake (man-made) stuff... sweet&low, splenda, (?)blue packet that gives Alzheimer's....

STEVIA- the good kind from the health food store is a natural plant derivative, and it is the best sweet sub, although it does take a little getting used to the after-flavor.

also, xylitol- a sweetener from the birch tree- is a lowER cal option that is also actually good for your teeth! (but it does still cause that 'sugar response')

and agave syrup is a decent sub for when french toast is a must ;)

but - as a general rule- stevia is it!
  • Chinadorian
    Chinadorian Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I am not a sweets person so I really don't consume much sugar...at least I don't think?

Think again. the average american consumes 3 lbs of sugar in one week. thats about 3,550 lbs in a lifetime. Thats enough sugar to fill a dumpster...yikes