! ! ! ! ! CHILLI ! ! ! ! ! !

Options
MirandaJayne
MirandaJayne Posts: 600 Member
So first of and most important to note, I make my chilli with ground turkey as I do not eat pork or beef.

With that said. . . . . I made chilli last night. . . . Now my recipe is no secret Its almost embarrassing (as I consider myself quite the foodie). I use the Old Elpaso Chili seasoning mix, then add just a pinch of chilli pepper flakes and chilli powder to ramp up the heat a little. Now this is alright however it is loaded with SODIUM ! ! ! !

So what I am looking for is some amounts/measurements to make my own chilli seasoning mix that will be less sodium filled.

Spices I already have at home include: chilli pepper flakes, chilli powder, coriander, ginger, cumin, basil, oregano, thyme, tex mex (pre pkged stuff), salt and pepper (well spices & herbs taht I think are relevant to making a chilli mix).

Can someone give me (if its not their top secret) some seasoning mix recipes?

Thank you

Replies

• cdavis1126
    cdavis1126 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    2 lbs ground turkey breast
    2 med zucchini, halved and sliced
    1 med red pepper, cored and diced
    1 med green pepper, cored and diced
    1 med onion, chopped
    1 tbsp evoo
    2 (15 oz) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
    2 (15 oz) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
    2 (15 oz) cans of garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
    1 (28 oz) can of diced tomatoes, un-drained
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 TBSP chili powder
    1 tsp paprika
    1 tsp oregano
    fresh ground pepper
    sea salt to taste

serving size: 1 & 1/2 cups. I love to make a huge double batch of this and dole out per serving into ziploc baggies and freeze. I'll put one bag out for lunch or take out a few for dinners. Hope this helps!

Nutritional Info
    Servings Per Recipe: 12
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 381.6
    Total Fat: 7.4 g
    Cholesterol: 53.0 mg
    Sodium: 578.4 mg
    Total Carbs: 51.4 g
    Dietary Fiber: 15.0 g
    Protein: 29.3 g
  • bonkers5975
    bonkers5975 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Hi, Miranda! I make my turkey chili from scratch and have never measured the spices, but I use a tablespoon or more of chili powder, 1.5 teaspoons of cumin (the cumin is essential to me!) usually about 4 cloves of garlic, a dash of cinnamon or nutmeg, tons of basil and oregano, and usually some onion powder. If I want it hot, I do either cayenne pepper or pepper flakes, or both. I used a fair amount of salt if I'm using dried beans, but I use the morton's light salt. Oh, and a little sugar or splenda, just to cut the acidity a little.

I hope that helps! Happy chili-making :flowerforyou:
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    I'll get my recipe when I go home and post it. It's make with Turkey and is pretty spicey, but not too hot. My husband likes it and he is a major meat eater. I'm thinking about entering it in our Church chili cook-off this fall. So, if you try it you should let me know how it is.
  • MirandaJayne
    MirandaJayne Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Thanks Ladies... Keep em coming. I am good on what to throw in my chili, pretty similar to what cdavis (zuchini, 2 peppers, mushroom, carrots, onion, g.turkey,), its the making of my own seasoning I'm after.

I do enjoy a nice smokey lingering heat, and would def love to expand my repetoir in chilli spices
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried adding light beer to your chili? The alcohol cooks out. let it simmer for about 3 hrs! It really adds some amazing flavor! If you want a richer, more bold flavor use a dark beer or ale.

You can make a large batch of chili seasoning to keep on hand. I found this low sodium recipe for chili seasoning online

12 tablespoons chili powder
    2 tablespoon paprika
    4 teaspoons oregano
    3 tablespoons sea salt
    2 tablespoon splenda/sugar
    4 teaspoons onion powder
    4 teaspoons garlic powder
    2 teaspoon black pepper
    2 tablespoon flour (to thicken)
    ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
    Mix all of the ingredients together and shake
    Store in an air-tight container
    Use any amount called for in your recipes

(Ingredients can be altered depending on your taste) Use as much as your recipe calls for.
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    Here's my complete recipe, do with it what you will:
    1 T EVOO
    1 Cup diced Yellow Onion
    1 Serrano Chili, diced
    1/4 Cup diced Bell Pepper
    1 T Minced Garlic
    1 lb. Ground Turkey
    1 (14.5 oz.) can Organic Diced Tomatoes
    1 (8 oz.) can Tomato Sauce
    8oz. Water
    2 (15 oz.) cans Organic Red Kidney Beans, Rinsed
    1 T Chili Powder
    ! T Sugar
    1 t Salt
    1/2 t Pepper
    1 t Paprkia
    1 t Cumin
    1/2 t Cayenne Pepper
    1/2 t Thyme

In Skillet, saute onion, Serrano chili, bell pepper and garlic in olive oil over medium heat until onions are translucent. Add ground Turkey until browned. Add remaining ingredients and simmer in pot or crock pot for at least 1 hour.
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    William's Seasoning makes a low sodium version. That is always what I use in my chili and just follow the recipe on the back of the package. I will substitue a can of light beer for part of the liquid as well.