When only one person in the house works out....

Options
2»

Replies

• AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    While I really don't have any advise, I sympathize. My husband always talks about getting healthy but then proceeds to buy tortilla chips and nacho cheese dip. 'Will power' isn't really as simple as people might say it is. If it is then I'm a constant failure.

Personally I've found that being on here helps a lot. When he sits and snacks while watching TV, I pull out my laptop and come here. I've found that making some air popped popcorn helps to combat the munchie attacks or saving some calories from the day to allow for a little snack. 100 cal packs of goodies (doritos, cookies, popcorn, etc.) also help. Don't deprive yourself of the 'not healthy' stuff all together. You'll just set yourself up for cravings and overindulging when you do have them and make yourself crazy at that. Moderation is a good thing. Allow yourself a modest amount and put the rest away. Outta sight outta mind.

Not sure if any of that helps but it's my two cents on the situation.

I know how discouraging it can be to feel like you're the only one trying, (I stopped last year and am now kicking myself for it) but think of how good it'll be when you're healthy and happy. Maybe then they'll be more motivated to make a change and you can be there to help on the journey.

This is great. Although, I LOVE tortilla chips and I buy one of those big jugs of Pace salsa. One or two servings a day does me right lol.

I keep a lot of quick snacks handy because I love snacking. Fruits and vegetables I buy pre washed and cut so I just grab some and eat it (though, to be cost effective you can cut and wash your own). I always have chips and salsa, cheese and crackers, the cans of flavored tuna like the sun dried tomato or lemon pepper, salad, pickles and so on. I really just go up and down the isles at the store and pick out things that are tasty and I can divide into single servings.
    My wife and I really like tortilla chips and there is frequently a large bag sitting around but what I learned is that 7 large chips is about 100 calories so I take 7 and break them into smaller pieces and have a 100 calorie snack.

I am hugely addicted to salt, so it's tough to stop once I've started. I may have to give the breaking them into smaller pieces thing. I once was addicted to salsa on everything too but slowly other condiments came creeping back in lol.

Buy the bite size ones. 24 chips for 140 calories. Just having a whole bowl full of chips makes it seem like a lot more.
  • Tami71
    Tami71 Posts: 5
    Options
    I have the members in my family "stake claim" on the tempting foods because I won't touch it if it's spoken for. In exchange for the family's effort, I relax my restrictions on the weekend and let them call some shots for meals. Good luck.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    They have to have the want inside of them. Lead by example and maybe one day they'll wonder where you get all that energy from and start behaving more like you.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    for me, it depends if i'm hungry or not, and if my hubby has something i really want. i have a sweet tooth, so when he sits in front of me with the box of crackers i'll have one but then stop because i just don't want them. if he has sweets, i'll pick a few of my face ones then stop. but if i know he's going to be eating crap, i have a tall glass of water and a hard boiled egg (or other high protein snack) before i sit with him- then i'm just not hungry at all.
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Another possibility: tempt that person with amazing alternatives to the stuff they love. Speaking to e.g. the nachos: the other night, I had a ridiculously good black bean, salsa & greek yogurt dip with some kind of diet tortilla-like thing, at someone's house (not made by me).

I don't usually go for diety stuff but the chips were pretty nice (can't remember the brand, unfortunately, but there are better and better things out there now). Even when I liked regular pub food, there's no way I'd have chosen nauseatingly cheesy, soggy tortillas over that.

You can do great lean burgers with low fat cheese. For ice cream, fro-yo. For fries, baked sweet potato wedges with spices. You could make it, like, not even a competition.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    When I was in a roommate situation until last month I could only rely on my willpower and indulging in moderation. It's like controlling what your coworkers bring for lunch. You can't. Have treatson hand that won't derail your day, healthy faves. As for working out, dont give up. Keep at it. If you burn enough calories you have a little more wiggle room with your diet.
  • Deedsie
    Deedsie Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I not only have to have junk and fatty foods in my house but also have to prepare meals high in fat for my four year old daughter with CF.

I'm not going to lie. It is hard- it is walking across glass hard to make something you love to eat that she won't finish then throw out almost half of it.

It is a meal by meal decision that you aren't going back to where you were before and that you are who controls what you eat not opportunity or cravings or convenience. It is backsliding at times but not giving up even if you gave in because in the end, it is all on you whether you succeed or not. No one no matter how much they love you or care can make you strong.

I will let you know that it gets easier though it still isn't easy 4 years later.
  • WickedPixie1
    WickedPixie1 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have 3 kids (pre and early teens) and a hubby that does hard manual labour. Banning crap in our house is not an option. Thankfully I started rationing the sweets at a very young age, so they do not tend to go overboard.
    The one thing I have going for me is that I do not generally crave sweets (1x a month female thing maybe) usually it's savoury and salty.
    I don't force what I am doing on the rest of my family, however, I do insist that veggies are at least a third of what they eat, specifically due to one child with issues. My kids also can preach the evils of fast food...having worked in kitchens, I don't shy away from telling them of some of the bad things that go into food or how it goes from bad to worse between fridge and plate in a standard fast food type kitchen.
    It's a bit of a pain, but quite often I'm cooking different meals...one for me and one for them. Hubby burns a ton of calories with his job and the kids tend to burn them off doing kid stuff...I do monitor what they eat more than I do hubby though. I accept this and I do try to have the others try my food...usually they turn their nose up at it, but as long as I can educate them, I know that eventually the percieved prejudices will fall away and they'll come round to a healthier way of eating. I see differences already.
    Ultimately, I am doing this for me, and doing it for them in a roundabout way. Once they see the change and benefits I reap, they'll come around...they always do!
  • aksunshine
    aksunshine Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I know this isn't nice...but sometimes I get a little yucky feeling when I watch other people gorge on food. I have some co-workers who just eat and eat all kinds of junk food, and it makes me want to say no even more. Today I caught myself watching someone sitting there eating candy bars and it was not appealing.