thoughts on subway?

Replies

• Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    I don''t care for Subways anymore, too much sodium and bread. I haven't eaten there for almost 2 years. I don't do McD or any other fast food place either, and neither does mu husband.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    As I walk into our local Walmart there is a Subway right there and the aroma makes me always want to have a sub even when I'm not hungry. As for their food, it can be good and can be bad depending on what you have. Of course the lean meats and vegetarian versions are best for you. The mayonnaise based ones are not so good for you. I wish you luck with eating there and losing weight.
  • 6" Hearty Italian Turkey Breast w/ Lettuce, Tomato, Onion's >> 100 calories according to their website.
    ^ I ate one the other day but I havent ate there in a while because I usually take my own lunches.
  • saritamross
    saritamross Posts: 2 Member
    It helped with starting to incorporate more healthy options but...after losing over a100 lbs and am licensed as a p.trainer, group x, ZUMBA fitness formats, these days it some how brought back cravings for chips & pop. My thoughts are many but having just a sandwich may be the best route avoiding there heavy mayo & enjoy one slice of cheese not two.:smile:
  • MyNewZen
    MyNewZen Posts: 101 Member
    Personally, I think Subway was responsible for my first plateau half way though 2012.

I was making great progress eating nothing but lean meat and veg 3~4 times a day, but I got quite time poor and starting buying lunch each day... Subway.

I was eating the exact same number of calories but I stalled and even gained some weight, in that time I felt flat and lethargic.

Since then I went back to high protein, high fat and low carb and the weight started moving off again, I also felt much better.

Recently I have started experimenting with intermittent fasting, I still eat well over 2000 calories a day but only between my evening workout and bed time. So far I cant believe the results, I'm dropping .2% to .5% body fat a day and feel great.

I'm not sure how to transition to maintenance or, god forbid, a bulk phase with the intermittent fasting though, there is only so much clean food I can eat each night!
  • I love subway. My fave combo is the 6" wheat with turkey, lettuce, peppers, cucumbers & mustard. Add a bag of the light Lay's chips and a diet drink.....total calories 387. It's a great meal now and then for lunch, it's filling and you feel like you ate something grand. It's a nice treat now and then.
  • saritamross
    saritamross Posts: 2 Member
    same here, this sandwich alone helped me lose but kept it healthier and flavorful.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    It's not perfect, but it's a lot better than other options out there. The sodium is higher than I would like.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    6" Hearty Italian Turkey Breast w/ Lettuce, Tomato, Onion's >> 100 calories according to their website.
    ^ I ate one the other day but I havent ate there in a while because I usually take my own lunches.

There's no way that's right, the bread itself is at least 200 calories :/ Pretty sure the whole 6-inch is close to 300. Still sounds like a good healthy sandwich though!
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    My thoughts are that I miss it. :( I'm gluten intolerant and Subway was a favorite of mine.
  • littlewhittles
    littlewhittles Posts: 402 Member
    I have no idea, but I just watched the Jim Gafigan special Mr. Universe and he makes fun of Subway, and that's all I could think about. :)
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    ive only been on the subway once..in chicago while visiting a friend..my thoughts were how freaking cold it was :p
  • Ladyzumba
    Ladyzumba Posts: 217 Member
    Jared lied to us! Lol Unless you eat a veggie sub on wheat...it's not as healthy as I thought!
  • twelker878
    twelker878 Posts: 146 Member
    6" Hearty Italian Turkey Breast w/ Lettuce, Tomato, Onion's >> 100 calories according to their website.
  • twelker878
    twelker878 Posts: 146 Member
    sorry goofed that up, but a 6" turkey sub with lettuce tomato and onion is 280 calories.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    I wouldn't say it's bad for you. It just tastes bad, and worse yet, smells very bad in those stores.
  • bridgelene
    bridgelene Posts: 358 Member
    My thoughts are that I miss it. :( I'm gluten intolerant and Subway was a favorite of mine.

When I was in nursing school and did my geri rotation, we were not able to eat at the nursing home so it was either pack or go out. We chose subway a lot, and my instructor who has Celiac Sprue always went with us and just got it all on a salad rather than bread. Not the same, I realize, but.....something to consider :)

OP -- mmmmm.....Subway. Now I want some Subway! :sad:
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    We like Subway as an occasional treat but the sodium is really bad! I am not even a person who monitors my sodium, and I have no fear of grabbing the salt shaker to season my food, however; when I eat at Subway I am always insanely thirsty for hours and I drink water until I feel sick. It is still better that the other choices we have but the salt does effect me so we rarely go there. I also don't care for the smell of the place since they started making that certain cheese bread a few years back. My clothes will smell like the place for hours after we leave.
  • MyNewZen
    MyNewZen Posts: 101 Member
    Personally, I think Subway was responsible for my first plateau half way though 2012.

I was making great progress eating nothing but lean meat and veg 3~4 times a day, but I got quite time poor and starting buying lunch each day... Subway.

I was eating the exact same number of calories but I stalled and even gained some weight, in that time I felt flat and lethargic.

Since then I went back to high protein, high fat and low carb and the weight started moving off again, I also felt much better.

Recently I have started experimenting with intermittent fasting, I still eat well over 2000 calories a day but only between my evening workout and bed time. So far I cant believe the results, I'm dropping .2% to .5% body fat a day and feel great.

I'm not sure how to transition to maintenance or, god forbid, a bulk phase with the intermittent fasting though, there is only so much clean food I can eat each night!

If you stalled out, you weren't eating the same number of calories as before.

It may have been a small difference but it was not that different, I was tracking pretty maliciously back then.

I have done a lot of self experimenting since then, the verdict; I quite simply cant eat carbs, my body's preference is to store them as fat leaving me less energy to burn for day to day stuff and all my training.

Calories in calories out only works to a point, there are a lot of hormonal factors that effect everyone differently.

Subway just has far too many carbs for the way I am eating now.
  • hushsoundislove
    hushsoundislove Posts: 4 Member
    Well let's just say, I work at Subway and monitoring what you're eating....and what you're doing I honestly credit Subway with the 25 pounds I've lost so far. I usually get a sandwich and I scoop the bread out...this helps you big time. I've stopped using heavy sauces like the buffalo (I now have it once in a blue moon) and use mostly vinegar or the low fat dressing packets from Kraft....Ranch is your enemy.
    Anyways I have also stopped eating cheese on my sandwiches. I count my calories and I'm very careful.....maybe the sodium is high but if you know what you're doing you can avoid high calories and carbs.....and get lots of protein.