Too much pressure?

Options
I am sitting here wondering if I am putting to much pressure on myself. I was going to start changing my life in early Nov but realized how hard it would be just starting right before the holidays. So here I am! Started today. I weighed in this morning at 287.2 lbs. I kept telling sh myself to not push myself to hard because I don't want to give up or stop like I have in the past. I want to change my life and my future.

So for my logs today, here is what I have.

Goal Food Exercise = Net
1620 1232 - 715 517

It is 10:38pm.. Because of work schedules wont be going to bed until 1-2am.
I am feeling really hungry but don't want to eat anything else. I have had my 3 meals and 3 snacks.
I think I am struggling knowing if I am wanting to eat because I AM hungry or bored.
Before I started today, I bet I ate and drank 5000 calories at least a day.

I know I still have calories but I am struggling with what decision to make. My family who is very active and in shape keep saying "Burn more than what you take in"

Advice please? TIA! :)

Replies

• VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more. Eat your exercise calories back and don't be afraid to eat up to your MFP goal.

A lot of us here started out trying to make enormous changes far too fast and failed miserably. Undereating is one of the biggest reasons people fail on here.

Don't be afraid of food. It is not the enemy.
  • emmalousmom1
    emmalousmom1 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    if you still have goal calories left, then pick a high protein snack, it doesn't matter when you eat your calories. I work night shifts and my day starts at 12 at night and goes to 12 the next night, I divide my food over 24 hours. If you want to add me I wouldn't mind being friends:)
  • pixardad
    pixardad Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    "Burn more than you take in"...no duh. Losing weight is (simplistically) just basic math. If you take in 1000 calories and burn off 1000 calories, you won't gain or lose. So this is why people say that magic phrase. What they don't bother saying is attitude, persaverance, determination, support, food types, etc, etc, *all* play into the math...both how much you take in and how much you put out.

To address your questions, you never want to feel hungry. If you do...eat. But don't eat that pizza, or ice cream, or that Del Taco $4 deal. You need to eat smarter. There are things you can find that can stop the hunger and not hit the calorie intake too hard.

Also, if I may be so bold, watch your sodium too!!! This is a hard one. The more overweight you are the more you're headed for heart issues...aggravated by sodium. I try to use garlic or various spices to try and compensate. Don't cut it out as much as possible...you'll go nuts! But do try and bring the amount you take in down as well.

Hope this helps at least a little...
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Why don't you want to eat anything else when you've netted only 517 for the day? That is dangerously low. You've got at least 1000 calories left to eat for the day. Eat them! Starving yourself is not only unhealthy but it will doom you to failure as it is not sustainable. Eat what it tells you to eat and make nice slow, steady progress.
  • lorihalsted
    lorihalsted Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry eat something healthy. I had already completed my diary and was under my calories but I was hungry so I ate an apple. Just make good choices. Good luck!

The apple put me over by 104 calories....
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    i agree with prego. i think if you try to do massive changes at the beginning, you're setting yourself up to fail. it seems to work better by gradually introducing change as you go along. the thing i did was i started walking most evenings and taking note of what i ate. then it became easy to leave the cookies alone because i knew how much work it was to burn it off.
    but if you're hungry you should eat. at no point you should be hungry. if this is a lifestyle change for you (as it has been for me and many others) then it has to be long term and doable. feeling deprived is not going to help, so eat something healthy (like a hard boiled egg) and go to sleep knowing you've made the first step on a looooong journey!
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Your goal set up by MFP has a deficit built into it, you should attempt to eat as close to your goal number as possible. Also with this set up you can eat back your exercise calories and still be at a deficit.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    You want your NET calories for the day to come up to your goal. Making changes is much easier and the changes are more likely to stick if you make them gradually instead of drastically. You don't need to starve and suffer to get in shape. It takes longer to do it the healthy way, but the wait is well worth it.
  • brittaney0625
    brittaney0625 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more. Eat your exercise calories back and don't be afraid to eat up to your MFP goal.

A lot of us here started out trying to make enormous changes far too fast and failed miserably. Undereating is one of the biggest reasons people fail on here.

That is what my fear was.. but I woke up wanting to just overhaul all the changes I need to make. Thanks for the encouragement to slow down the changes. It is hard when those around you are telling you to not eat anymore.. (Actually saying I ate to much today already)
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    First step: JOIN EAT MORE TO WEIGH LESS! You'll thank me for recommending it forever :)

Secondly: you WILL feel hungry when starting out. Everyone does. That subsides in a few days, but make sure you're not feeling hungry because you're under eating.

Don't limit yourself to salads and veggies only. That's a recipe for failure. I'm not sure what you mean by jumping into it too fast, because it's never too fast to switch your life around. Although, taking babysteps by gradually increasing exercise (like from a walk to a jog, jog to run, etc) and increasing vegetable intake overtime can help you out.

Don't say you're putting too much pressure on yourself. You NEED to be hard on yourself in order to succeed, I think. Don't use the excuse "I'm being too hard on myself" to eat a whole cake. But, by all means, have a slice. this is to be a new LIFESTYLE for you and until that's your mindset (and you can genuinely say you will NEVER go back to eating how you were and living the same) then your efforts will be wasted.

with that being said, congratulations on making these changes for yourself. The biggest thing of all to focus on is being healthy, not SKINNY. I used to claim I wanted to be healthy, but deep inside I just wanted to be skinny. I'm SO glad I was able to really desire being healthy in the end.

Here are some things you can eat as snacks now:

1/2 whole grain wrap w/ avocado and tomato, pepper, etc.
    1/2 whole grain wrap w/ REAL (all natural, just peanuts) peanut butter and banana (can add honey if desired)
    Apple w/ all natural Peanut butter
    1 Egg on whole grain toast or an english muffin
    15 almonds (These probably won't fill you up though)
    OATMEAL. (You'll be stuffed!)
    Maybe a chicken breast with salsa or some other type of sauce.

MMM! I realize most of these have grains in them, so if you're already high on carbs today you may not want those.
    Also, when I say whole grain wrap, toast, etc. I means WHOLE GRAIN (look on the ingredient list for whole grain, whole wheat. Needs to be the FIRST ingredient.) Otherwise all you'll do is spike your blood sugar and make yourself more hungry if it's white breads.

Also, drink 1 cup of water before you eat, and during. It really DOES fill you.

I hope this helped you a little! feel free to message me if you want some more snack ideas or tips.
  • brittaney0625
    Options
    if you still have goal calories left, then pick a high protein snack, it doesn't matter when you eat your calories. I work night shifts and my day starts at 12 at night and goes to 12 the next night, I divide my food over 24 hours. If you want to add me I wouldn't mind being friends:)

Thanks you, sent request. :)
  • kbogati
    kbogati Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    i really think the easiest way to do this is start small. ive lost 60 lbs total and started by just walking and switching to light and low fat foods whenever possible. as you see results and start feeling better its alot easier to keep stepping it up from there
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

That is what my fear was.. but I woke up wanting to just overhaul all the changes I need to make. Thanks for the encouragement to slow down the changes. It is hard when those around you are telling you to not eat anymore.. (Actually saying I ate to much today already)

Patience and consistency will get you where you want to be far faster than trying to undo all the weight gain overnight. I underate and overexercised for over a year before I finally figured out that I could lose and not be miserable. Oddly enough, I lost almost nothing that year that I was going gung-ho. Why? I was hungry, lethargic, and didn't bother learning self control so I'd binge once or twice a week and undo everything I did during the week. It was just completely unsustainable, and I've seen others on here go through the same thing.

Work on trying to modify your life and behaviors so you can maintain a healthy lifestyle forever instead of focusing on getting the weight off as fast as possible, and ignore people encouraging you to starve.

Hang in there!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    eat something!!!

When I was starting, or even know I have emergency snacks on hand.

high fiber cereal, fruit, veggies, peanut butter, cold cuts. Really anything that won't make me cookie binge.

really even if you blow your calories today, at least you are aware of it, that really is a big step. You can't just expect to flip a magical switch and be super duper clean eater healthy whatever. Get there is a fashion that works for you!

oh what, this is way to positive for me... here you go.

2055337973-1.jpg
  • agoofynut
    agoofynut Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Try to get your net as close to your goal as possible. MFP is designed so that exercise earns you more to eat. Your body really does need those calories just to function. Tip for just starting out: don't get hung up on *what* your eating. Yes, healthy foods are better, but it can be super overwhelming to do all of it at once. Just focus on hitting your calorie goal. As time goes on, (and your calorie goal drops) you will naturally start choosing healthier foods. Good luck!
  • brittaney0625
    Options
    Why don't you want to eat anything else when you've netted only 517 for the day? That is dangerously low. You've got at least 1000 calories left to eat for the day. Eat them! Starving yourself is not only unhealthy but it will doom you to failure as it is not sustainable. Eat what it tells you to eat and make nice slow, steady progress.

I guess the feedback I was getting made me think I had already ate to much today or I needed to work out more.
  • brittaney0625
    Options
    First step: JOIN EAT MORE TO WEIGH LESS! You'll thank me for recommending it forever :)

Secondly: you WILL feel hungry when starting out. Everyone does. That subsides in a few days, but make sure you're not feeling hungry because you're under eating.

Don't limit yourself to salads and veggies only. That's a recipe for failure. I'm not sure what you mean by jumping into it too fast, because it's never too fast to switch your life around. Although, taking babysteps by gradually increasing exercise (like from a walk to a jog, jog to run, etc) and increasing vegetable intake overtime can help you out.

Don't say you're putting too much pressure on yourself. You NEED to be hard on yourself in order to succeed, I think. Don't use the excuse "I'm being too hard on myself" to eat a whole cake. But, by all means, have a slice. this is to be a new LIFESTYLE for you and until that's your mindset (and you can genuinely say you will NEVER go back to eating how you were and living the same) then your efforts will be wasted.

with that being said, congratulations on making these changes for yourself. The biggest thing of all to focus on is being healthy, not SKINNY. I used to claim I wanted to be healthy, but deep inside I just wanted to be skinny. I'm SO glad I was able to really desire being healthy in the end.

Here are some things you can eat as snacks now:

1/2 whole grain wrap w/ avocado and tomato, pepper, etc.
    1/2 whole grain wrap w/ REAL (all natural, just peanuts) peanut butter and banana (can add honey if desired)
    Apple w/ all natural Peanut butter
    1 Egg on whole grain toast or an english muffin
    15 almonds (These probably won't fill you up though)
    OATMEAL. (You'll be stuffed!)
    Maybe a chicken breast with salsa or some other type of sauce.

MMM! I realize most of these have grains in them, so if you're already high on carbs today you may not want those.
    Also, when I say whole grain wrap, toast, etc. I means WHOLE GRAIN (look on the ingredient list for whole grain, whole wheat. Needs to be the FIRST ingredient.) Otherwise all you'll do is spike your blood sugar and make yourself more hungry if it's white breads.

Also, drink 1 cup of water before you eat, and during. It really DOES fill you.

I hope this helped you a little! feel free to message me if you want some more snack ideas or tips.

Thank you very much for all your input!

By going to fast I meant.. Today was unlike every single day in my past by.. well I did nothing that, I normally do. I woke up early, ate breakfast, did 30 day shred, played with my child, made her lunch, cleaned, ate mine, danced on the kintect for an hour, had dinner. Veggie soup.. and I actually ate the veggies and didnt just soak crackers in it.

I will be hard on myself. I did this.. and now I have to deal with it. While doing the shred I had a few tears while trying not vomit tthinking this is so hard because of me.. and I have to fix it. Be example to my daughter.

Thanks for the snack ideas. :)
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Your goal calories should already include the deficit needed for weight loss. You generally should eat back at least part of your exercise calories. Your net should equal at least 1200 calories most of the time. Enjoy something to eat. At least get some fruit or something low calorie to munch on. that works even when you are close to your goal. Also, it will be ok to go over your goal sometimes... Just make sure you average at or below that goal calorie intake.

Good idea waiting for the new year -- hard to get started with those holiday meals and snacks all around.

Best wishes on your journey.
  • JustJennie13
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

This link showed me that we as individuals don't exactly fall into the neat little MPF calculations. It is by another member. When I did mine I needed to up my calories (which has actually been hard). Sometimes if your body feels like you are starving it than it will hold onto everything and stall the weight loss. Also, sometimes the 1300 calorie extreme is too much! Try this and after you start to lose do a new roadmap to get new recommendations! If you don't believe me than read the success stories on the comments beneath the OP!
  • brittaney0625
    Options
    Try to get your net as close to your goal as possible. MFP is designed so that exercise earns you more to eat. Your body really does need those calories just to function. Tip for just starting out: don't get hung up on *what* your eating. Yes, healthy foods are better, but it can be super overwhelming to do all of it at once. Just focus on hitting your calorie goal. As time goes on, (and your calorie goal drops) you will naturally start choosing healthier foods. Good luck!

Luckily grocery day was yesterday and I bought mostly good choices with a few other things.