Insanity and knees

doughd2
doughd2 Posts: 86 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
The Insanity series seems to be pretty big on the boards but I had a question for those who are doing it or have done it. Do you all have perfectly healthy knees? I've been gearing up to start on Monday, but I'm worried.. I've got bad knees (subluxation of the kneecap) and was wondering if I should really abort on these dvds or just throw my brace on and give it a go.

Anyone have similar issues and have still found themselves able to do this? Thanks!

Replies

• blondie76
    blondie76 Posts: 552 Member
    I am as well scared to try, dislocated knee, and it has not fully healed!
  • I have a bad left knee. I thought I'd be alright to do this program, figured I'd wear my knee support. I did the first workout the first day and by the end of the day my knee hurt so badly I could barley walk. Ended up at the dr's the next day with a ligament strain and no exercise for 6 weeks. It's been 6 weeks and I'm still not back to normal. I'm actually going back today for my follow up. I DO NOT recommend this program for anyone with a history of knee problems. I REALLY don't! I think there is even a disclaimer or something on the website about not being recommended for people with bad knees.
    Good luck on your decision!
    Tamara
  • lisaisso
    lisaisso Posts: 337 Member
    by all means i am no professional, but i also have a bad knee, and am in my first week of Insanity. i've noticed that after some of the workouts it is really sore, so i've decided to go at my own capacity, mainy on the jumps and things of that nature. i still sweat tons, and i know that i'm still burning a ton of calories. hopefully as i lose more weight, it will become less of an issue for me..
    hope this helps and good luck.
  • I'm 40 y/o and now 173 lbs (started the program at 187--47 days ago) and I have "bad" knees too. (L and R knee ACL recons, 1 R knee meniscectomy) Pretty well healed though. I decided to try the program just to help lose some of the pounds that my poor knees have to carry around. I can keep up pretty well, but I still modify a bit. Listen to your knees and let them guide you. Don't try to push through true pain!
    It's a great program!! Be honest with yourself, instead of skipping certain exercises-modify as needed and keep your heart-rate up!!
    Good luck and have fun!
  • doughd2
    doughd2 Posts: 86 Member
    lisaisso, thats what i was thinking about doing - just doing it the best that i can. i went through p90x last fall and am doing p90 masters series currently, both have a plyometrics day.. i can usually tell which moves i need to back off on and which ones dont give me trouble and just listen to my knees. i'll probably do the same thing with insanity. i was curoius to see if anyone here had the same knee problem that i had. thanks!
This discussion has been closed.