Broke my diet

Options
So I started a really healthy diet/exercise plan in January, and due to school and work, I have ended up going back to my old eating habits... Staying up late to finish homework and projects is probably the main reason I started eating unhealthy again. I lost close to 20 lbs in 2 months dietting and exercising.. I was feeling great.

Now that I have midterms, work, homework, term projects... my stress is up and the one way I have been coping with it is eating with the excuse that I needed to focus on my work. I keep saying "tomorrow I will start my diet again" and when lunch time comes I somehow convince myself that "I have my midterm tomorrow, I need the energy to study" or "I need the energy to stay up late." -- Of course, this means I end up binging more than half my calories on a single meal. After which I regret.

I realize that I need to make better use of my time.. but honestly right now I don't see how. I need to keep my diet in check since my exercise schedule is non existent anymore.. I have class every day and work 2 jobs, along with homework and projects (Masters in engineering -- moving towards PhD.) Sleep has had to become optional for me as well.

It's amazing how easy it is to convince yourself that a behavior is acceptable if it reduces your stress level even a bit.. the down side is now I am stressing over the fact that if I keep this up, I am going right back where I started and all my hard work will be for naught.

I guess I need to re-adjust where my priorities lie. I mean, the excuse that "I will start dieting again when school calms down" isn't going to cut it, since school and work is always going to be there. Same thing when I start working, I can't binge eat/diet depending on how my work schedule is, or I will keep up my unhealthy lifestyle and never

Replies

• Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    The key to getting back into the swing of it is planning ahead. Just the way you plan to study you need to plan your meals and snacks and drinking enough water. Then stick with what you have planned. You can always use the excuse of tomorrow, but if you did that with you school work it would never get done...Start TODAY...you've done it before...you can do it again.

{{hugs}} Laura
  • flbeachbuddy
    flbeachbuddy Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I find that this site is great for getting me "back on the wagon". Why not try one thing at a time - add some exercise back in - a good thing for your stress. I have a stationary bike and can read while doing it, though mostly do it while watching TV. They say even 10 minutes at a time can help.

I haven't lost much, 7 lbs in 7 weeks, but slow and steady is how I want to do it this time. I can lose it fast but then gain it back. And I really haven't been depriving myself all the time.

Good luck!
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Look into the 5-hour energy shots. They have worked ownders for me in a very stressful and energy intensive construction job.

Second note. I find that if I'm getting tired and stressed and feeling the need to eat, I stuff some natural fiber (fruit or veggies) into my mouth with a bunch of water. That fills the void and even if you do go to eat, you'll feel full and not be tempted to gorge on junk. Plus have you ever tried to fall asleep when your bladder is totally full fromm drinking tons of water???

Good luck with everything. remember that this is a life style change. If you allow yourself to use the workload/time/food as a crutch now, you will continue to use that crutch later and nothing will have changed. Yes you need fuel, but fuel on YOUR terms (buy the high grade stuff, it's easier on the engine). Make sure you have plenty of fruits and veggies around and ALWAYS keep a metal water bottle close by so you can stay hydrated.

Note from college: You are better off working hard up until your exam, then getting a good nights sleep. Add a little caffeine and sugar to your breakfast (it was Mt Dew in the day. Now I'd say 5-hour energy and some fruit juice) to kick start your brain and some whole grain and protein to sustain your for the duration.
  • jusimm
    jusimm Posts: 28
    Options
    plan your food ahead. Have some raw veggies all cut up and in the fridge for when you need to snack. You can do it!
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    I always say "Diet" and "Devil" both start with "D" for a reason!! Try not to think of it as a Diet so much as a Lifestyle Change. But, kuddos to you for getting through grad school and working 2 jobs! That is tough!! I agree with having water with you at all times!! I also am a big fan of planning ahead!! I have a big dry erase calendar to keep track of everything since we are so busy and I even plan the entire months meals on it! Almost every time I have a free moment in the kitchen I am chopping or defrosting or doing something for the next meal. I plan meals like I'm playing chess. I also try to have lots of good, healthy snacks available in the house to grab as we go out the door! Baggies are your friend! Hope this helps!
  • zognorf
    Options
    Wow....you remind me of me, from 15 years ago....right down to the writing style, and the rationalizations.

So....think of this as a post from your future self, writing to you now. Because for all intents and purposes, it is.

(if I could write this to my 23 year old self, I would. I would've also used considerably more invective if writing to myself...but I figure you're more polite..sooo...here it is. ;)

Okay...I'm pretty encouraging under normal circumstances....but you need more than a "you go, buddy!"

15 years ago...I was almost _exactly_ where you are...I said the things you said, and did the kinds of things you're doing.
    2 jobs? check. full time student? check. Made excuses to myself to justify food/exercise habits I knew weren't healthy?
    Check.

I too, "just didn't see how" I could make the time.

I ended up at 331 lbs. brother.

It took till thirty freakin eight to get it "right". I'm workin it hard now---I'm 287 today.

And every day it takes more time than I'd "like".

its a SLOG. A serious, pain in the *kitten*, rewarding, annoying, takes-up-more-time-than-I -want-it-to-slog.

The lesson?

Don't be me--be better than that.

Your health is like money. You get a pile when you start life...as you go, you spend it. You get some back when you exercise, eat right, etc. Every "bad meal you regret later" is "money" you spent "digging your grave with a spoon". "Health money", wasted.

All this effort--2 jobs, a masters? Its all aimed at making enough Cash money to give you the choices you want in life. Where you want to live, what you want to do? The Cash money you earn will give you choices about many things.

I give a big ol' Ayn Rand shout out in favor of bettering yourself that way. But....

Your cash money can't by time.

You need "health money" to buy time.

Can you afford NOT TO make health money?

Your health is WAY more "money" than money. You might not know it now, 'cause at 23, the health "bank balance" still looks pretty good...AND you've put some effort in...20lbs down, 40 some to go. Good for you...don't stop now!

You say you don't have any time, and list a pile of "somethings" that are getting in the way.

Sounds to me like you have the cart before the horse. Only good health creates extra time. As to the "somethings" that "Get in the way"?

"Something" will always be there.

"Something" will ALWAYS get in the way...if you let it.

All you need to do, is approach your health as a Professional. Not easy, but VERY simple.

Pros work hard, they show up every day, and they know that they have to plan for failure---in order to avoid it. Pros don't let "something" get in the way of doing the job. Pros pack a lunch.

As an engineering student...you know planning better than most--give your health that kind of attention: proper food, excercise, etc. If you do--your body will reward you with the energy you need to build the rest of your life. Health Money you need to succeed.

Fail to give your body what it needs, and it'll fail you when you need it...or worse...

You're "too busy right now"? That was my excuse...at 23. And again at 28, and 60lbs overweight.

If you fall into the same trap I did.....you might not wake up again for another 10 years. I did...and there it was.

110 lbs of unwanted, unneeded, unsightly fat.

I was packing up for a move recently...I found papers I wrote 10 years ago, talking about the "shape I was going to be in, for 2000!"

Uh....Yeah. I let a bit of time slide there.....but it was a wake up call.

It only took till 2010 for me to do it right. I'm not dead yet. I can still bank some time.

Other than the fact that I'm still breathing, I'm your Jacob Marley, my friend.

Don't wear my chains.

(That "something" stopping, you, btw? ....It's Resistance. Steven Pressfield wrote one of the coolest books I ever read on this...I lifted the "pro rant" in my post from him...this is the book:
    http://www.amazon.com/War-Art-Through-Creative-Battles/dp/0446691437)

It changed my attitude. It's worth a read.
  • Alita2011
    Alita2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Love it very inspirational!