Crock pot tips and recipes

Options

Replies

• Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Beware of cooking beans in a crock pot only. They need to be soaked and boiled first for 10 minutes or so. Otherwise beans can contain hazardous toxins that will food poison you. Red kidney beans have the highest levels, but ALL beans have it and should be precooked. Per the FDA:

"The syndrome is usually caused by the ingestion of raw, soaked kidney beans, either alone or in salads or casseroles. As few as four or five raw beans can trigger symptoms. Several outbreaks have been associated with "slow cookers" or crock pots, or in casseroles which had not reached a high enough internal temperature to destroy the glycoprotein lectin. It has been shown that heating to 80°C may potentiate the toxicity five-fold, so that these beans are more toxic than if eaten raw. In studies of casseroles cooked in slow cookers, internal temperatures often did not exceed 75°C."

The FDA also says:

"NOTE: The following procedure has been recommended by the PHLS to render kidney, and other, beans safe for consumption:
    Soak in water for at least 5 hours.
    Pour away the water.
    Boil briskly in fresh water, with occasional stirring, for at least 10 minutes.
    Undercooked beans may be more toxic than raw beans."

http://www.fda.gov/food/foodsafety/foodborneillness/foodborneillnessfoodbornepathogensnaturaltoxins/badbugbook/ucm071092.htm
  • ruth750
    Options
    I just looked up the blog Summer8it suggested, "A Year of Slow Cooking" blog, and found it at http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/
    There is so much good information here. She even has a "light and healthy" section in her table of contents. I have just started exploring this site, but thank you for posting it! I love my crockpot, but always cook the same things in it...
  • Pattis11
    Pattis11 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • byrnet18
    byrnet18 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Bump. Always looking for ways to use my crockpot.
  • Crazy_Diet_Mom
    Options
    Some great ideas here, thanks for sharing...

bump
  • aynhagenbarth
    aynhagenbarth Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm obsessed with my crockpot as well. It's a super tool for busy moms!!! There are a ton of recipes on pinterest.

http://pinterest.com/ann_hagenbarth/happiness-is-my-crock-pot/

this is my pinterest page with crockpot recipes, there are 245!

yesterday I made a lo carb chicken teriyaki in the crockpot that my husband loved and he had no idea that it was healthy!

1 c. soy sauce
    1/2 c. stevia
    2 tbsp. brown sugar
    1 teaspoon garlic salt
    1/2 an onion, chopped
    4-6 chicken breasts (mine were frozen)

Directions:
    Put all of the ingredients but chicken into a pot over medium heat until boiling. Pour over chicken in crock pot. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours. Serve over rice.

I also made a huge pot of turkey chili and then portioned it out for my lunches this week
    from http://peaceloveandlowcarb.blogspot.com/2012/03/kickin-crock-pot-chili.html#.UOmMzo7lzjk

2 1/2 lbs. Lean Ground Beef (I used ground turkey)
    1 Medium Red Onion
    3 Large Ribs of Celery ( I put in extra celery and some green pepper)
    4 Tbs Minced Garlic
    1 Can Tomato Paste
    1 Can Rotel (or any variety of tomatoes and green chilies)
    1 Can Stewed Tomatoes ( I used S&W stewed tomatoes seasoned with mild chili and Mexican seasonings)
    1/4 Cup Jalapeno Slices
    2 Tbs. Worcestershire Sauce
    4 Tbs. Chili Powder
    2 1/2 Tbs. Cumin - Mounded
    1/2 tsp. Cayenne
    1 tsp. Garlic Powder
    1 tsp. Oregano
    1 tsp. Black Pepper
    2 tsp. Salt
    1 tsp. Onion Salt

DIRECTIONS
    Brown the ground beef with half of the onions, half of the garlic and salt and pepper

When the beef is browned, drain the excess grease from the pan

Combine all the ingredients in the crock pot and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Stir every two hours.

That's it!! Super easy. SERVE AND ENJOY!!!!!
  • Mellisa9882
    Options
    Bumping for later... Love this since I work out right after work, it's 8:00 before we eat. Now that I have my crockpot it's 6:30. Love the ideas
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I <3 my crock pot and for christmas I got a bunch of campbell's soup recipes that are quick and very easy. One of the recipes my family and I ate yesterday that was SO good....

Slowed Cook creamy chicken and wild rice

What You'll Need
    2 cans (10 3/4 ounces each) Campbell's® Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup (Regular or 98% Fat Free)
    1 1/2 cups water
    4 large carrots, thickly sliced (about 3 cups)
    1 package (6 ounces) uncooked seasoned long-grain and wild rice mix
    8 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 2 pounds)

How to Make It

1 Stir the soup, water, carrots, rice and seasoning packet in a 3 1/2-quart slow cooker. Add the chicken and turn to coat.
    2 Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 8 hours or until the chicken is cooked through and the rice is tender.

So simple, so good. I have a toddler and he gobbled it up like it was going out of style. :) My suggestion though, definitely make sure you get the breasts and not the tenderloins. The chicken was a bit dry, unless you like it that way. I don't, I like my chicken juicy.

Hope this helps. :D

• orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I'm obsessed with my crockpot as well. It's a super tool for busy moms!!! There are a ton of recipes on pinterest.

http://pinterest.com/ann_hagenbarth/happiness-is-my-crock-pot/

this is my pinterest page with crockpot recipes, there are 245!

yesterday I made a lo carb chicken teriyaki in the crockpot that my husband loved and he had no idea that it was healthy!

1 c. soy sauce
    1/2 c. stevia
    2 tbsp. brown sugar
    1 teaspoon garlic salt
    1/2 an onion, chopped
    4-6 chicken breasts (mine were frozen)

Directions:
    Put all of the ingredients but chicken into a pot over medium heat until boiling. Pour over chicken in crock pot. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours. Serve over rice.

will be trying this!
  • ashlensmomma
    ashlensmomma Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later!
  • NikkiHann17
    NikkiHann17 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Def get the Reynolds Crock Pot bags they make my life so much easier. Also Taco Junk is awesome.

The other recipies sound great thanks everyone.
  • pinkmonkies05
    pinkmonkies05 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BrenWOW
    BrenWOW Posts: 95
    Options
    Wow, I'm glad this was asked because I <3 my crockpot and needed healthy non-red meat recipes too. Good ideas!
  • LabrakaDebra
    LabrakaDebra Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    bumping...I use my crock pot some already, but there are some really nummy healthier recipes in here!
  • lblanke724
    lblanke724 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    And if you like oatmeal, cook up a big batch for the week. 1 part steel cut oats to 3-4 parts liquid (water, milk, or combo). Cook on low for about 6 hours. You can find recipes for lots of yummy kinds: pumpkin, apple, walnuts and cranberries. I like to make mine plain and then "decorate" according to how I feel in the morning. Do I want savory? Do I want sweet? Simply heat up with a little milk or water.
  • shelmac
    shelmac Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Got one for Xmas this is gonna be so helpful.

Thanks Everyone xxx
  • funbug
    funbug Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Pollart77
    Pollart77 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Good post for the new year
  • NaeNaeJanae
    NaeNaeJanae Posts: 261 Member
    Options