PICKY EATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Options
chocolateandvodka
chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
i swear i am the world's pickiest eater... and believe it or not? I hate being this way. but I yam what I yam and it makes dieting tough. Does anyone have any healthy recipes tailored for picky eaters? basically i'm a veggie hater (never grew out of it) but i love fruits. Hate sweets, love chocolate. i dunno what to do... i've been living off turkey sandwiches and casseroles and i'm so tired of this! ready to try something NEW. any ideas? any other picky eaters?

Replies

• Ashia1317
    Options
    I can be super picky - especially with veggies!

I think first we need to start off with what you DO like??
  • sno_flakee
    sno_flakee Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Wow... look at your progress so far. Do you like any of the frozen dinners like Lean Cuisine? I love them for lunches, because I don't have to think about what to have. Also soup - A quick meal, that is filling, and low in calories. Hang in there!!!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Hate to say it...you're going to have to try things. Try one new thing a week...if you don't like it try it again a month later. Make a list, keep an open mind, and keep trying. My food diary is public-take a look and see if you find anything you'd be willing to give a go.
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Are you REALLY ready to try something new? If so try some vegitarian recipes. You'd be surprised what you will like. Plus as we age, our senses of smell and taste get weaker and you might find somethings not as vile as you remember. Keep trying new things, at least 5 times (even if you hate it the first time) as that is what they suggest for infants with new food. I'd suggest not jumping right to plain veggies, but do combine them. If you're REALLY ready to try something new, then make the lifestyle change (and stop making kiddie excuses) and TRY something new. Don't just try to repackage what you already eat and call it something new.

Better homes and Gardens makes a good Veggie cook book. My wife and I try something out of it at lesat once per week. so far every recipe but one has not only been good, but been a HIT (even with the 4 & 8 yr old).

Good luck.
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    On Amazon!

Vegetarian Recipes (Cooking for Today)
    Better Homes and Gardens Books (Author)
    4.1 out of 5 stars See all reviews (9 customer reviews)
    9 Reviews
    5 star: (6)
    4 star: (1)
    3 star: (0)
    2 star: (1)
    1 star: (1)

› See all 9 customer reviews...

Available from these sellers.

13 new from $5.96 95 used from $0.01 1 collectible from $15.95
  • chocolateandvodka
    Options
    Ashia1317 - i love fruits, i actually really like lettuce, legumes, baked potatoes and spinach but that's about where it stops with the veggies. i love turkey, fish, and chicken. i eat whole grains and i love peanut butter. don't mind eating the same thing every day.
    sno_flakee - as for frozen dinners - that's basically what i've been living off of and i'm so done with that. i did find out that those El Charrito dinners at wal mart are actually pretty reasonable calorie-wise and high in fiber so they work well on the WW plan. i don't know why i like those... lol.
    lt _mrcook - thanx for the kick lol i needed that. i do like vegetarian recipes but hubby is a meat lover. and i do try "hiding" veggies in my meals so that i can get SOME nutrition. as for the aging thing - i am only 22 and unfortunately my sense of smell/taste is acute. which is probably the biggest source of the problem haha!
    my biggest deal is my non-dieting hubby is up to his ears in the same old recipes i've been using and i feel sorry for him. i need to keep it healthy but we have GOT to get some culinary inspiration lol.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    do you like sloppy joes? hide chopped carrots, broccoli and cauliflower in them (after they have been steamed or sauteed first)

do you like spagetti? hide chopped carrots, zuchinni, yellow summer squash and celery in the sauce

it WILL NOT affect the taste and you can't see it. try doing this for a few months and then eat some broccoli on it's own. your taste buds have become used to eating this and WILL LIKE IT.

mac and cheese with small cauliflower is good, the cauliflower looks and feels (texture-wise) like a noodle.

add corn and shredded carrots to your casseroles.

add green beans to your chili.

mushrooms, spinach, peppers, etc are harder to hide. go buy exotic veggies like asparagus, sweet potatos in the gerber baby food aisle and add them to food before trying them on their own.

it takes at least 10 tries for a child to like a new food. expect that it will be the same for you and keep putting it on your plate!
  • Ellie113
    Options
    i swear i am the world's pickiest eater... and believe it or not? I hate being this way. but I yam what I yam and it makes dieting tough. Does anyone have any healthy recipes tailored for picky eaters? basically i'm a veggie hater (never grew out of it) but i love fruits. Hate sweets, love chocolate. i dunno what to do... i've been living off turkey sandwiches and casseroles and i'm so tired of this! ready to try something NEW. any ideas? any other picky eaters?
    I am exactly the same!! I HATE veg, It makes trying to lose weight super tough...........I have tried to eat veg as ppl have said i should give it another shot and I still hate it ......it makes me feel physicaly sick!! I am really glad you started this thread as it will be interesting to see if there are any good suggestions as I to am getting sick of eating the same stuff!
  • chocolateandvodka
    Options
    I am exactly the same!! I HATE veg, It makes trying to lose weight super tough...........I have tried to eat veg as ppl have said i should give it another shot and I still hate it ......it makes me feel physicaly sick!! I am really glad you started this thread as it will be interesting to see if there are any good suggestions as I to am getting sick of eating the same stuff!
    carrots and some veggies like squach and such make me sick also. I cooked carrots on thanksgiving and tried a tiny one after it had been sauteed in butter and spices and still gagged. There wasn't even any smell left!!!!
  • chocolateandvodka
    Options
    Godblessourhome: those are some great ideas I'll try these and let u guys now how it pans out. I used to like asparagus... Maybe I should try it again.