Having a hard time getting my head around this

Options
For too long now I have been OBSESSED with the scales and what they tell me... This week i am +2lbs but continue losing inches /cm especially round my thighs. I know now that the number on the scales are not the be all and end all...so long as i'm continuing to tone up build lean muscle and lose fat(?) this is okay, right? I upped my calories a few weeks ago from about 1000-1200 to 1600-1700 therefore I am expecting to gain a little to allow time for my body to adjust. I am just finding it difficult to understand that measurements are worth taking into consideration too...

Replies

• ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    For too long now I have been OBSESSED with the scales and what they tell me... This week i am +2lbs but continue losing inches /cm especially round my thighs. I know now that the number on the scales are not the be all and end all...so long as i'm continuing to tone up build lean muscle and lose fat(?) this is okay, right? I upped my calories a few weeks ago from about 1000-1200 to 1600-1700 therefore I am expecting to gain a little to allow time for my body to adjust. I am just finding it difficult to understand that measurements are worth taking into consideration too...

Measurements aren't just worth taking into consideration, they are actually MORE important than the scales.

Nobody sees the number on the scale but you. Everyone else just sees the changing shape and decreasing inches.

Well done.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options

Measurements aren't just worth taking into consideration, they are actually MORE important than the scales.

Nobody sees the number on the scale but you. Everyone else just sees the changing shape and decreasing inches.

Well done.

Beautifully said!
  • taekwonkenpo
    taekwonkenpo Posts: 1,004
    Options
    congrats on seeing the results that matter. That and hardening up. Good job.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options

Well done.
    ^^^^^^^
    THIS
    Well Said
    Mere weight loss is not the whole picture.
    :flowerforyou:
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

Well done.
    Exactly. What do you care about more - what you can see in the mirror, and what other people can see when they look at you, and how your clothes fit, and how you feel.... or a number on a scale that would most likely be a different number on a different scale anyway?

Remember that not only is your weight not a measure of your worth - it's also not (just) a measure of how much fat is on your body. Your scales are weighing everything else too - muscles, bones, organs, fluids, the food you just ate (which probably accounts for some of your gain) etc. It's a useful tool, but it doesn't tell the whole story.
  • spramn
    spramn Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Measurements are great, i would always say to get a clear picture using multiple methods - tape measurments / scale / body fat calipers are the three i use, and do same time every friday.

Alot of factors effect weight, water retention being one, high salt one day could see a increase on the scale the next for example.
  • jillcwhite
    jillcwhite Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Logically I know that inches are better then the scale number but I too am obessed with the number on the scale. When I go to the doctor they only worry about the number on the scale and the BMI which is calculated by your weight. This site is a count down for the scale. Overall look is awesome but I do think the number on the scale will always be there (at least for me and I am sure others)
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I agree that the number on the scale will still be important to some, but it will go down eventually, too, if you continue to exercise and eat at a deficit. Can you weigh less frequently while your body adjusts to the new amount of food? When I was trying to lose, I only weighed a couple of days a week, and I still only "weigh-in" one day a week, so all those other days are just for me, not the be all and end all.
  • yaafee
    yaafee Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Weight is a number, not a definition of who you are. Thank god we don't have to go around introducing ourselves with a number before our names. Rather we stand confidently and present ourselves to others with the best of what's in each of us.

Please remember that the same is true for your pant size, elliptical stamina, number of pushups completed in a minute, or any other way you measure your progress along this journey. I'm proud of you for improving your health and well being, and putting yourself first. I'm glad you are making progress but the inches and pounds aren't the only destination, your acceptance of yourself and confidence are what really matter.

Keep up the good work!
  • pixie_mills
    pixie_mills Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for so many replies. It really is nice to have this support. Its gonna be a long journey - but i'll get there I hope :)
  • taekwonkenpo
    taekwonkenpo Posts: 1,004
    Options
    hope is not the right word. Work is. Do what has to be done. Good luck.