Im Obese?!?!

Options
I did the Military Fat Calculator on Fat 2 Fit Radio which seems to be what everyone is suggesting. It says that my body fat % is 34.2 which is very overweight to Obese on some scales. This seems crazy to me! I know I need to loose a little extra weight but I would never consider myself obese. Could this be wrong or am I just not wanting to face the facts? There are a couple pics on my profile.

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you did the calculations correctly?

Sometimes when you've yo-yo dieted or are very sedentary you can have a high body fat percentage for your size. It doesn't necessarily mean you *look* obese, which you don't.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    it means you have high bodyfat... thin people can have high bodyfat, fat people can have high bodyfat. its not the same as BMI weight classifications. you can be normal or underweight according to BMI and still have high bodyfat.
  • debi_f
    debi_f Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    You are definitely NOT obese.

Maybe something was entered wrong? Maybe you need to work on building muscle to replace fat?

Whatever it is, judging by your photos, you are not obese.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    If your pics are current, you are certainly not obese. I'm trying to figure out where you are going to lose 26 pounds cause I think you look great in your photos.
  • Sarahsue94
    Options
    here are the calculations I typed in

height: 5'4
    Weight: 160
    Neck: 12
    waist (Smallest part right?): 29
    Hips (widest part?): 42
  • Sarahsue94
    Options
    If your pics are current, you are certainly not obese. I'm trying to figure out where you are going to lose 26 pounds cause I think you look great in your photos.

Along with the body fat % it said I had about 55lbs of fat to loose. This seems crazy to me! That would put me a little over 100lbs which I know is way to low.
  • pixie_mills
    pixie_mills Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Yup...mine is round about that percentage too. I don't look obese, I don't feel obese. I just want to get rid of the wobbly bits, tone up and lose some pounds in the process - don't worry too much about it, ride the wave, the most important step has been taken - time for change :) x
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    The charts and calculators can drive us all crazy. They are just averages and guidelines - and for a lot of us, good starting points to determine if we need to find a way to be more fit.

I was pretty darn miserable at what the charts said was "overweight" but below "obese" ... didn't feel much better till I got to the lower end of the "healthy range". Now energy is rebounding every day I maintain my weight and eat nutrition dense foods!

My husband feels fine in the lower end of the "overweight" range.. so it just depends on the individual.

I went to a performing arts doctor (same as a sports doctor but with more emphasis on dance, music performers) and got my target weight and activity program over a year ago. I will go back in about two months as I meet some fitness goals as I maintain my target weight. I think it is the best thing I ever did for my physical health so that my "brain" is aligned with what I need to do. My husband went to a personal trainer a few years ago and did the same thing.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Take your measurements at the gym instead, much more reliable.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    here are the calculations I typed in

height: 5'4
    Weight: 160
    Neck: 12
    waist (Smallest part right?): 29
    Hips (widest part?): 42

Your Body Mass Index is 27.5 which is in the overweight category, you would need to get down to 145lb to get into the top of the healthy range, 115lb is the bottom of the healthy range for your height. It's quite possible for a female to be clinically overweight or even healthy weight but have a medically obese bodyfat percentage, just means your lean mass is too low and your fat too high. If you just lost weight you'd probably find your bodyfat was still too high so you'd need to then work on building lean muscle with strength training which will slim you down and tone you up. If you carry your weight in your hips rather than around your waist that will make you look slimmer in photos and is lower risk for health.

Having said all that you are working on a guesstimate of bodyfat anyway, get your bodyfat properly measured and work from that - the measurement system underestimates mine and I am skinny-fat. Remember the word obese is a clinical definition related to health outcomes, it's not an insult and doesn't relate simply to how huge or wobbly you look. The human body evolved to be pretty active, when we are sedentary it's easy to have way too little muscle and too much fat. Many of us in the west have a completely skewed view on what is a healthy size/ shape/ bodyfat because of the average size in our country. Probably what you think of as obese is actually morbidly obese.
  • Sarahsue94
    Options
    I think the gym at my college that I go to has different measurements and tests to do, I might check those out when everything opens back up after break.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I think the gym at my college that I go to has different measurements and tests to do, I might check those out when everything opens back up after break.

That is probably the best idea. Body fat percentage, measured accurately will probably tell you more than any of the calculators you can find providing guesstimates. But yes, the posters saying you can look an average size but be medically (based on fat %) obese are absolutely correct. Doesn't mean you are, you won't know that without actually measuring fat mass.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I punched in the same numbers you did, and although I believe it overestimated your % by looking at your photos, it stated your total fat mass is 55 lbs - not that you have to lose 55 lbs of fat. Furthermore, it says you will hopefully maintain a lean body mass of 105 lbs, not that your total weight will be 100 lbs. Keep that in mind as well.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I punched in the same numbers you did, and although I believe it overestimated your % by looking at your photos, it stated your total fat mass is 50 lbs - not that you have to lose 50 lbs of fat. Furthermore, it says you will hopefully maintain a lean body mass of 100 lbs, not that your total weight will be 100 lbs. Keep that in mind as well.

And to further explain, this means a goal weight around 135 lb would be ideal if you are able to maintain lean body mass the rest of your journey.

And keep in mind, the closer to a lower body fat, the more fuel you will need to maintain lean body mass and the more resistance training should be utilized.