Doing a pull up with a machine?

Options
2»

Replies

• tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    the pullup assist machine is good, if your gym has one. You can also do 'negative' pullups. That is where you jump up or are boosted up to where your chin is over the bar. Then you lower yourself SLOWLY down. Repeating that process for 6 to 8 reps in 2 to 3 sets.
  • lizschwab
    lizschwab Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    We have a Gravitron at my gym. Is that the same thing? It's assisted upper body. I havent had much success with it though. Still have a hard time.
  • kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    Thank everyone. I know you can't spot reduce :p I don't have a band, so I guess i'll do negatives
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    4 sets of 25, cant quite get 100 consecutive

That's herculean
  • slacker80
    slacker80 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Start with a fairly narrow UNDERHAND grip just inside shoulder width. This is the easiest method on the bar, as your able to use the stronger portion of your biceps to assist you all the way to the top. give yourself a good boost on the first pullup, and once you come off that first rep at the bottom of the negative your muscles are tense and ready for more.

Once you become comfy with the underhand, than you can start going overhand and with a narrow grip at shoulder width. The wider your grip becomes outside the shoulders the tougher your pullups will become.

Tip - Try to imagine your arms as nothing but meat hooks, that's it! Pull from the musles in your back while driving your elbows back visualize your shoulderblades pulling and comming together at the top of the pull. you gotta let the back do the work. take your mind off the biceps

Thumb under the bar (overhand grip) will tire you at the wrist and strain of trying to squeeze the grip.
    Thumb over the bar along with the rest of the fingers is a lot easier on the wrist, however can lose grip under large amounts of weight. guess it all just depends on your style.

much luck.