Regarding the switching from weightloss to muscle training

Options
2»

Replies

• rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Okay, so lifting really is the way to go for me. About that, what kind of lifting is most recommended for training my core and chest? Deadlifts, Bench Press, or is lifting with dumbbells good enough(granted I find enough variations for different kinds of body parts)?

Compound lifts like others suggested.

Look into Starting Strength, Stronglifts, New Rules of Lifting... all great beginner programs for lifting.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Do some HIIT, pushups, pullups/chins, inverted rows, body weight squats, burpees, etc. You are not going to build the same amount of muscle as quickly with strictly body weight exercises, but you can give yourself a great foundation.

This is only true if you stick to easy high rep bodyweight exercises.

Difficult low rep work builds muscle (when diet conditions are right). Where the resistance for that work comes from is irrelavant.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Double post
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Okay, so lifting really is the way to go for me. About that, what kind of lifting is most recommended for training my core and chest? Deadlifts, Bench Press, or is lifting with dumbbells good enough(granted I find enough variations for different kinds of body parts)?
    Pick a routine and roll with it - any routine.
    Just starting out; it really does not matter.
    Here is one: http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/body-weight-exercises
    Google "Body weight exercise routines for women."
    What matters is that you start and stick with it for 6 months.
    Have fun with this; try different things, and at day's end you will like your results.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options

Start lifting now. Trust me you'll only wish you'd started sooner.

Compound lifts are best. Simple lifts that work many parts of the body at once. Bench press, pull ups, squats, deadlifts, dips... these are your new best friends.

this
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I second using nerdfitness.com. I'm using his workout plan right now to work up to doing a pull up and he has great explanations, pictures, videos and sample workouts.

I'd recommend checking out this post: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/08/23/batman-bodyweight-workout/ Just starting out, you probably can't do most/all of the exercises in it but he references some other workouts that you can start with to build up to it. It looks pretty bada$$ and I'm definitely putting it on my list for when the weather warms up (considering it was 1 degree when I left for work this morning).
  • Remo_Williams
    Options
    Do some HIIT, pushups, pullups/chins, inverted rows, body weight squats, burpees, etc. You are not going to build the same amount of muscle as quickly with strictly body weight exercises, but you can give yourself a great foundation.

This is only true if you stick to easy high rep bodyweight exercises.

Difficult low rep work builds muscle (when diet conditions are right). Where the resistance for that work comes from is irrelavant.

I agree with you that "Where the resistance for that work comes from is irrelavant". However, I haven't seen a body-weight exercise that gives me the same resistance as 300 lbs of iron does when I squat.
  • JuroNemo14
    JuroNemo14 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I second using nerdfitness.com. I'm using his workout plan right now to work up to doing a pull up and he has great explanations, pictures, videos and sample workouts.

I'd recommend checking out this post: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/08/23/batman-bodyweight-workout/ Just starting out, you probably can't do most/all of the exercises in it but he references some other workouts that you can start with to build up to it. It looks pretty bada$$ and I'm definitely putting it on my list for when the weather warms up (considering it was 1 degree when I left for work this morning).

So, did you notice any noticeable changes already doing nerdfitness?