Options

Replies

• __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Kegels. Trust me, they pay off.
  • MommaKit79
    Options
    You can use an exercise ball rather than a chair for balance and core work.

I've heard that this really works to strengthen your core. I've got an exercise ball at home and thinking about bringing it to the office.

You just have to check with your office...some places dont allow them. But, they are a GREAT tool!!! I WISH I could have one!! :-)
  • mshopey
    mshopey Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    According to my boyfriend, with a tennis ball and no shoes, roll the ball from your tip toes to your heel while putting some pressure onto it. This helps train the legs :)
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    According to my boyfriend, with a tennis ball and no shoes, roll the ball from your tip toes to your heel while putting some pressure onto it. This helps train the legs :)

"I got so jacked rolling a tennis ball under my desk." said no one ever
  • ShunkyDave
    ShunkyDave Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I used to sit, but now I've built a standing desk out of Ikea parts. I am burning 600-800 calories more per day by standing.
  • medaglia_06
    medaglia_06 Posts: 282 Member
    Options

This also helps with plantars fasciitis (sp?)
  • charmarbobar
    charmarbobar Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Or, given that most of us work eight hour days you can do what we do and go to the gym before or afterwards! :)

This is not fair! Most may work 8 hours a day....but not ALL have to sit for their jobs! A nurse is on her feet for 8-12 hours a day....but a desk job leaves little time for walking that much. We're just trying to add exercise to our workday in addition to what we do outside of work.

I have met skinny office workers and over weight nurses.

A few exercises at the desk to defeat boredom and get the blood flowing are great, but should not be substituted for a regular work out routine.

That's why I said "in addition to".
  • skeefer13
    Options
    I sit at my desk all day as well. I started getting myself active by doing things in my office. I have no windows so I didn't feel like someone was watching me. :) Tricep dips, push-ups off my desk or wall, squats, arm raises and extensions while engaging my core... Simulated curls.... Even flexing your muscles and holding it for 10-15 seconds...
  • ShunkyDave
    ShunkyDave Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I used to sit, but now I've built a standing desk out of Ikea parts. I am burning 600-800 calories more per day by standing.

Here's a link to my blog post with pictures: http://www.shunkydave.com/2012/11/my-new-standing-desk/

Ok, not a link. Copy and paste from http: to the ending / and paste it in a new tab.
  • mshopey
    mshopey Posts: 125 Member
    Options

"I got so jacked rolling a tennis ball under my desk." said no one ever

I think my input was better than you just putting everyone down.
    In all fairness, has anyone ever got jacked sitting at a desk? Unlikely.
    But it's better than just sitting there doing nothing.
    Some pull ups, jogging and weightlifting is probably a bit hard sitting at a desk with a manager behind you.
  • LoriA6724
    LoriA6724 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    So many great ideas! I can't wait until I have some time to go through all of them. Unfortunately, I'm too busy at my desk right now.
  • Carrot1971
    Carrot1971 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Kegels. Trust me, they pay off.
  • george29223
    george29223 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    yall are soooo helpful um yall know any exercise i can do home alone sittin on my recliner in the dark?
  • yoovie
    Options
    yall are soooo helpful um yall know any exercise i can do home alone sittin on my recliner in the dark?

you can replace your backbone with a wishbone.
  • sixibabey
    sixibabey Posts: 80 Member
    Options

This is the same workout my ferret does, not sure it would be so challenging for a human
  • yoovie
    Options

train them to what? this is what you do after you wear heels all day....
  • labeastette
    labeastette Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm on the hospitality committee at work and to get our people moving, we implemented a Deskercise campaign. Greatist.com has a great page of exercises that we sourced from. http://greatist.com/fitness/deskercise-33-ways-exercise-work
  • patgmac
    patgmac Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I recently got a standup desk. Keeps me a more active throughout the day. ojwags2g102f.jpg
  • MikeSanchez2323
    MikeSanchez2323 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    So at times I look like a crazy person, but when I am on the phone I like to do wall squats. Hold your pose for 1 min, break for 45 sec, then repeat. Do this 5 times and get in as many as you can throughout the day. (works really well if you're on hold a lot, just in case your breathing increases!).